cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 02:38 AM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default BYU hoops busts in the Top 25...

nice job.

This was a great weekend for The Zoobs.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:05 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

After seeing BYU against Louisville and UNC, I believe that BYU should most definitely be ranked. That is a heckuva team.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:10 AM   #3
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
After seeing BYU against Louisville and UNC, I believe that BYU should most definitely be ranked. That is a heckuva team.
When Plaisted is disciplined enough to stay out of foul trouble and make an effort to rebound, they are definitely a threat. Like the better balanced Ute teams of the 90s and early 00s. All those teams had presence in the middle.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-27-2007, 03:14 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
When Plaisted is disciplined enough to stay out of foul trouble and make an effort to rebound, they are definitely a threat. Like the better balanced Ute teams of the 90s and early 00s. All those teams had presence in the middle.
I was most impressed with the improvement Plaisted made with his right hand. Last year, he was absolutely worthless if he couldn't use his left.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:23 AM   #5
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I was most impressed with the improvement Plaisted made with his right hand. Last year, he was absolutely worthless if he couldn't use his left.
Now that he is married, he doesn't use his left hand exclusively....

Old 11-27-2007, 03:25 AM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not true. He's had a right hook for quite a while. His problem is that he doesn't turn baseline, always going to the middle, so you think it's because he's favoring a certain hand. He still doesn't have a drop step and almost always goes to the middle, but he's developed more moves.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:28 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Not true. He's had a right hook for quite a while. His problem is that he doesn't turn baseline, always going to the middle, so you think it's because he's favoring a certain hand. He still doesn't have a drop step and almost always goes to the middle, but he's developed more moves.
Ok, I'll concede that as you most definitely follow BYU hoops more than I do. I guess it is the lack of a baseline move that I'm thinking of.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:45 AM   #8
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
the move that he has added is his up and under starting with a turn to the middle. I would like a baseline turn once in a while though.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #9
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Jay Santos, the differences between Plaisted this year and the last two are the following:

1. In years past he would only post up one block, so that he could turn to the middle of the key and shoot a jump hook with his left hand.

2. If he did on a rare occassion post up on the other block, he would still turn middle and shoot a jump hook with his right hand, but it was very ugly, didnt look smooth, and looked like someone shooting with their off hand, very awkard.

Now he posts up on either block, he turns to the middle and will do an up and under move instead a straight jump hook, he turns baseline and will use the glass with his left and right hand, he can also turn baseline and do an up and under move. Another thing I like is that he is trying to dunk the ball a lot more. I have even seen a few drop steps this year. I also said that last year his free throw stroke looked good he was just missing, this year it looks the same but he is a lot more confident and 74% from the line for your center is very good, I would have been happy with 60-65% from him this year.

It also helps when you have 4 very good perimeter players around.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I agree with Jay Santos, the differences between Plaisted this year and the last two are the following:

1. In years past he would only post up one block, so that he could turn to the middle of the key and shoot a jump hook with his left hand.

2. If he did on a rare occassion post up on the other block, he would still turn middle and shoot a jump hook with his right hand, but it was very ugly, didnt look smooth, and looked like someone shooting with their off hand, very awkard.

Now he posts up on either block, he turns to the middle and will do an up and under move instead a straight jump hook, he turns baseline and will use the glass with his left and right hand, he can also turn baseline and do an up and under move. Another thing I like is that he is trying to dunk the ball a lot more. I have even seen a few drop steps this year. I also said that last year his free throw stroke looked good he was just missing, this year it looks the same but he is a lot more confident and 74% from the line for your center is very good, I would have been happy with 60-65% from him this year.

It also helps when you have 4 very good perimeter players around.
Personally, I like the new moves and agree that he is developing his confidence. We saw the beginning of all the moves you mentioned last year (except a drop step which I don't agree he has). I think a bigger change than any of the things you have mentioned is TPs recognition of the double team...where it comes from, who is open as a result, and whether to finish his post move or pass out. He is looking much better in this aspect of the game and, as a result, has a number of assists in the past few games. Like Roy Williams said...you can't double team a big man who can pass.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote