cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #11
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Personally, I like the new moves and agree that he is developing his confidence. We saw the beginning of all the moves you mentioned last year (except a drop step which I don't agree he has). I think a bigger change than any of the things you have mentioned is TPs recognition of the double team...where it comes from, who is open as a result, and whether to finish his post move or pass out. He is looking much better in this aspect of the game and, as a result, has a number of assists in the past few games. Like Roy Williams said...you can't double team a big man who can pass.
Trent was a perimeter player in high school who outscored everyone because he was the biggest player on the court who was also the best athlete. He did not get to BYU as a basketball player, but came as a pure athlete. He was also a year younger as he graduated from HS early. As he has physically matured and grown comfortable playing under the basket he is demonstrating skills commensurate to his athleticism. I think he will bolt for the NBA after this year if he keeps playing this well, however I think he needs another year at the college level to develop more of a polished perimeter game. I don't think he will be a back to the basket player at the next level.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:30 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Goatnapper is right that this BYU basketball team is kind of a fluke in that a bunch of really talented LDS players came through the pipeline at once and for some reason didn't go to schools like UCLA. This happens about once every two or three generations. The last time was the Ainge-Durrant-Kite-Roberts era, the true BYU golden age of basketball (still, except for the one run to the Elite 8 I don't think they won an NCAA game). If you bought stock in BYU basketball back around 1-27 and are still holding it, this year might be a good time to look at unloading it. Buy buy buy Utes; that's a good value right now. That's my tip for the day.

The guy that really needs to prove he can win with his own squad is Rose.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:39 PM   #13
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Buy buy buy Utes; that's a good value right now. That's my tip for the day.
My guess is that you have plenty to sell.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:43 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Goatnapper is right that this BYU basketball team is kind of a fluke in that a bunch of really talented LDS players came through the pipeline at once and for some reason didn't go to schools like UCLA. This happens about once every two or three generations. The last time was the Ainge-Durrant-Kite-Roberts era, the true BYU golden age of basketball (still, except for the one run to the Elite 8 I don't think they won an NCAA game). If you bought stock in BYU basketball back around 1-27 and are still holding it, this year might be a good time to look at unloading it. Buy buy buy Utes; that's a good value right now. That's my tip for the day.

Obviously, BYU has the amazing NCAA record of 11 wins, most trips to NCAAs without a trip to Final Four and many other enviable records to boot.

However, you forgot the one unforgettable victory against SMU with the mighty Shawn Bradley under your favorite Cougar coach Roger Reid.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #15
Goatnapper'96

Quote:

That is something left for Rose to prove. Your folks need to just prove they can with anybody's squad. Baby steps my friend.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #16
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Obviously, BYU has the amazing NCAA record of 11 wins, most trips to NCAAs without a trip to Final Four and many other enviable records to boot.

However, you forgot the one unforgettable victory against SMU with the mighty Shawn Bradley under your favorite Cougar coach Roger Reid.
Beat SMU with the Reid brothers and Russell Larson. Beat UVA with Shawn Bradley.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:51 PM   #17
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU was one Ralph Sampson goaltending no-call away from the Final Four.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:00 PM   #18
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
BYU was one Ralph Sampson goaltending no-call away from the Final Four.
Atahualpa was Laman's great great great great ....... grandson.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #19
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:

you will KILL us in basketball this year. KILL us.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:36 PM   #20
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Trent was a perimeter player in high school who outscored everyone because he was the biggest player on the court who was also the best athlete. He did not get to BYU as a basketball player, but came as a pure athlete. He was also a year younger as he graduated from HS early. As he has physically matured and grown comfortable playing under the basket he is demonstrating skills commensurate to his athleticism. I think he will bolt for the NBA after this year if he keeps playing this well, however I think he needs another year at the college level to develop more of a polished perimeter game. I don't think he will be a back to the basket player at the next level.
I don't expect him to bolt for the NBA. I think there is one or two guys every year that make him painfully aware that he is not ready for the NBA. Instead, I expect he will continue to develop and will have a shot at the next level later. It is important to remember that he is still young enough to not feel the NBA rush. I too project him as an NBA 4 so he needs to develop range.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote