cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default Despite the loss to Santa Clara, I'm extremely excited about the Utes progress

Going into this year I was interested in only three stats for the Utes: field goal percentage defense, points allowed per game, and three point percentage defense. If the Utes make improvements in those stats, the offense will come and Boylen will be a success at Utah. Not including last nights game, which will improve these statistics.

FG% defense: 41.5%
Three point FG% defense: 37.7%
Points allowed per game: 67.8

Last year the Utes for the season were:
FG% defense: 50.0%
Three point FG% defense: 46.3%
Points allowed per game: 72.2%

Based on last years statistics a FG% defense of 41.5% would have the Utes just outside of the top 50 in the country in this category.

These are all huge improvements in a very short time period. I'm very excited about the direction of the Ute Hoops program.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Going into this year I was interested in only three stats for the Utes: field goal percentage defense, points allowed per game, and three point percentage defense. If the Utes make improvements in those stats, the offense will come and Boylen will be a success at Utah. Not including last nights game, which will improve these statistics.

FG% defense: 41.5%
Three point FG% defense: 37.7%
Points allowed per game: 67.8

Last year the Utes for the season were:
FG% defense: 50.0%
Three point FG% defense: 46.3%
Points allowed per game: 72.2%

Based on last years statistics a FG% defense of 41.5% would have the Utes just outside of the top 50 in the country in this category.

These are all huge improvements in a very short time period. I'm very excited about the direction of the Ute Hoops program.
Just so you know, this is a ridiculous analysis. Compare the numbers for the beginning of last year, against the weak competition at the beginning of the season.

Ute numbers will get worse of course over the year as the competition is better.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Just so you know, this is a ridiculous analysis. Compare the numbers for the beginning of last year, against the weak competition at the beginning of the season.

Ute numbers will get worse of course over the year as the competition is better.
Sure I'll compare the numbers at the beginning of last year, and guess what it won't be pretty. It didn't matter the level of competition last year, the Utes defense sucked.

<b>SUU</b>
FG%: 65.2%
3 pt FG%: 60.0%

<b>Santa Clara</b>
FG%: 60.4%
3 pt FG%: 50.0%

<b>Colorado</b>
FG%: 41.1%
3 pt fg%: 44.4%

<b>Rice</b>
FG%: 44.7%
3 pt fg%: 50.0%

<b>Weber St</b>
fg%: 41.5%
3 pt fg%: 31.8%

Two times in 5 games the Utes allowed the opponent to shoot over 50%
Old 11-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Yeah MP, you've chosen such a small sample size, throwing in some pretty weak competition, that it is hard to draw any conclusions this early.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
mpfunk

Also, here are the percentages

FG% defense: 47.6%
3 pt fg% defense: 50%
Old 11-29-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Pelagius, what is the standard deviation in such a small sample size?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Yeah MP, you've chosen such a small sample size, throwing in some pretty weak competition, that it is hard to draw any conclusions this early.
Not to mention I have watched the Utes play, and watching them you can see how much the defense has improved. The help defense is night and day. This team understands the position to be in on defense. The offense has been pretty weak, but that is fine. Boylen needed to spend all his time on defense.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Not to mention I have watched the Utes play, and watching them you can see how much the defense has improved. The help defense is night and day. This team understands the position to be in on defense. The offense has been pretty weak, but that is fine. Boylen needed to spend all his time on defense.
And yet points allowed per game remain the same against arguably weaker competition.

Yes, you are watching the games so you have a much better perspective than I do. I concede that point. You are obviously happy with the progress you see on defense which is good for Ute Fans. I just don't think you think you can draw conclusions on "progress in such a short time" at this point.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
And yet points allowed per game remain the same against arguably weaker competition.

Yes, you are watching the games so you have a much better perspective than I do. I concede that point. You are obviously happy with the progress you see on defense which is good for Ute Fans. I just don't think you think you can draw conclusions on "progress in such a short time" at this point.
Boylen must be a better coach than Giac, as it would be difficult for any Ute coach to be worse, though many sang his praises during the first year. I chuckle that even the Utes had a Crowton. But Giac didn't build an indoor practice facility like Gary did.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Santa Clara only shot 49% compared to 60% the year beffore, yet the Utes were blown out.