cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 12-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tavernari...

Seriously, I don't know if I have ever seen a guy huck up so many shots with so little chance of going in. I think he actually shot the ball before he had even received the pass a couple of times.

Don't get me wrong, if he is shooting well, he is fabulous, but for the other 75% of the time, he is a disaster. If I was Rose, I would do this: Start him and have him take 4 shots in the first 2 minutes (which would be about his average for shots per minutes played). If he hits 2 or 3 of them, leave him in. If he misses all 4 or only hits 1, bench him for the rest of the game. Seriously.

He is the kinda guy that will win a couple of games for BYU (like Louisville) and he is the guy that will singlehandedly lose a handful for his team. If I were Plaisted or Cummard, I would walk up to him after his 6th or 7th straight miss, grab him by the shirt collar and tell him: 'Pass me the F$%^%* ball or I am going to f^%&$ smash your face in.' A couple of interesting stats for JT:

**Shoots the ball more than anyone on the team, and 2 more times than Plaisted.
**Shooting under 40% from the field (and probably under 30% from the field if you take out the Louisville)
**under an assist a game.

I will say though, he is entertaining to watch. It is like watching a real poor man's Vinnie the Microwave Johnson.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

I agree. Right now he is playing like a chucker who can't guard. We really need him to do a better job of playing within the offense.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I like JT. My biggest issue is that he's just floating around the perimeter. And even worse is him trying to create his shot 25' from the rim. I wish he'd go back to his turn around and work in the post some more.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

I don't dislike JT, I think he needs to be reigned in by the coach.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

He got a little too big for his britches with the three halves he played down in Vegas.

Utes act like Majerus is God for having the guts to bench players when they make mistakes and Rose is undisciplined for not. Cleve would bench players for mistakes and ruin their confidence. Rose has a good handle on it. He benched Jimmer against UNC and benched JT against Mich State in second half. That takes guts to bench JT against Mich State when he's maybe the one guy that can pull the game out if he gets hot and Cummard's out with foul trouble and all you have to replace him is Collinsworth.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
He got a little too big for his britches with the three halves he played down in Vegas.

Utes act like Majerus is God for having the guts to bench players when they make mistakes and Rose is undisciplined for not. Cleve would bench players for mistakes and ruin their confidence. Rose has a good handle on it. He benched Jimmer against UNC and benched JT against Mich State in second half. That takes guts to bench JT against Mich State when he's maybe the one guy that can pull the game out if he gets hot and Cummard's out with foul trouble and all you have to replace him is Collinsworth.
Agreed with the benching of JT. I like Collinsworth but he did not play well. He was lost on the boards and defense when he was in. Vuk too.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Agreed with the benching of JT. I like Collinsworth but he did not play well. He was lost on the boards and defense when he was in. Vuk too.
Collinsworth hit a 15 footer. First outside shot I can remember him taking.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
But to be honest, he didn't have a choice in benching Tav. Tav was a disaster after the first few minutes in the MichState game. Majerus was appreciated because he had the guts to not play players who didn't do what they should on the court. He could handle mistakes, but he would go nuts on players who would lose focus or step out of the offense. Tav would never see the court for his shockingly bad shot selection and his bad defense.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:

Majerus was a lot more likely to bench a player for screwing up on the defensive end than he was on the offensive end. For all the criticism you give about Majerus on the offensive end, he had some pretty amazing offensive players. Keith Van Horn, Andre Miller, Michael Doleac, Hanno Mottola, etc.

Majerus only destroyed the confidence of players who were wussies.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
But to be honest, he didn't have a choice in benching Tav. Tav was a disaster after the first few minutes in the MichState game. Majerus was appreciated because he had the guts to not play players who didn't do what they should on the court. He could handle mistakes, but he would go nuts on players who would lose focus or step out of the offense. Tav would never see the court for his shockingly bad shot selection and his bad defense.
Yep Majerus would never play Tav and his team would be better for it.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote