cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2007, 05:26 PM   #21
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Murdock is at his best when facing full court pressure, like against Louisville. When Murdock is in the half-court set facing a slow-down grind it out team like Michigan State, he is a liability.
Agreed, which is why I wish he'd take your advice and develop the ability to knock down the three like it were a set shot.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It's too bad Murdock can't shoot, and can't take it to the rim and draw some fouls.

It's also too bad about war and famine and suffering.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #23
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's too bad Murdock can't shoot, and can't take it to the rim and draw some fouls.

It's also too bad about war and famine and suffering.
I think Murdock is an adequate shooter. I think he was facing an excellent defense and our system isn't the best for adaptation.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I think Murdock is an adequate shooter. I think he was facing an excellent defense and our system isn't the best for adaptation.
He needs to given the green light, so he can get some practice and confidence.

When you have facing a zone, and you have a guard or two who won't take wide open 3's , you are dead meat.

I'm not saying he's a bad shooter. But he is a weak link right now.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:51 PM   #25
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He needs to given the green light, so he can get some practice and confidence.

When you have facing a zone, and you have a guard or two who won't take wide open 3's , you are dead meat.

I'm not saying he's a bad shooter. But he is a weak link right now.
I agree with that. Like most of our guards, he shoots well in rhythm and he shoots well when he is confident. we need to find ways to get him confident and get him shots in rhythm.

I think that this team is really lacking a handful of offensive sets to be used at the end of the first half and at the end of the game or coming out of timeouts. A few sets that get us certain shots. I would love to see Tavernari come off a staggered triple for a catch and shoot. I would love to see us run Cummard off of a guard double in an inverted post and get him the ball on the block against a 1, 2, or 3. I would love to see TP throw the ball to the top of the key from a 17 foot catch, run off a double screen as the ball swings away and either catch it deep or have the screen break into Tav at the high post and Cummard at the angle. Our guys shoot well off screens, we should put in some sets that will help them do that which we only use at certain times.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #26
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
You would kill for Rose to even have a fraction of the success that Majerus had. At the end of this year when Rose loses in the second round of the NCAA tournament, just remember that a second round exit from the NCAA tournament was an average year for Majerus.
Majerus was a hell of a recruiter. He had national name recognition and could recruit like no one Utah has ever had nor ever will again.

He was extremely overrated as a tactician.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:41 PM   #27
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Majerus was a hell of a recruiter. He had national name recognition and could recruit like no one Utah has ever had nor ever will again.

He was extremely overrated as a tactician.
I don't think it is possible to be more wrong in your assessment of Rick Majerus. His weakness was as a recruiter, his strength was as a tactician. Amazing recruiters don't have nearly the amount of screw ups in talent evaluation that Majerus had.

Look at all the teams he beat that had superior talent. Tell Lute Olsen that Majerus isn't an amazing tactician and he would probably laugh in your face. Either that of Olsen would curl up into the fetal position remembering the beat down that Majerus gave him.

Let's stay in 1998 and just take a quick look at the UNC roster that Utah beat. Talent wise that team absolutely destroyed us. These are just a few of the many examples.

As for recruiting. Boylen's second class at Utah is probably better than any class that Majerus had at Utah. Unfortunately, Boylen is not the coach that Majerus is so it is unlikely to pull us a Miller or Van Horn.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #28
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

It seems to me that early in the year (like through the Louisville game) JT was spending a lot more time in teh high post, shooting quick little 15 footers, and I thought he was effective there. Agaisnt UNC, he fell in love with the 3 pointer, and started jacking them up at every opportunity. I think part of the problem is he doesn't really know how to act as a complementary player.

For the record, I am still high on him, and expect Rose and him to make the adjustments for him to be very effective this year.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #29
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I would have to agree with Funk. Majerus was much better at breaking other teams down and coming up with game plans than he was recruiting.

A Majerus class could be broken down to the following: 1 real good player, 1 average player and 2 players that would be out of the program in a year. A lot of his shortcomings in recruiting was that he didn't like it all. Most of his major gets were in thanks to Donnie Daniels and Judkins.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #30
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are we talking about the fat man in this thread?

As good a coach as he was, he was clearly losing it before he medivaced himself to the West Coast. What a soap opera that became. Now he's losing to the likes of Sam Houston State.

Does he still live in a motel and eat pizza every night?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote