cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 12-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Mike if you and Jimmer played one on one to 21, I would be very surprised if you scored even three points on him. I would also be very surprised if you were able to guard him at all. He may not be very quick for a D-1 basketball player but he is a hell of a lot quicker than some guy that has never played organized ball in his life.

Jimmer is going to be a solid player for BYU, will he ever be a star? I am not sure but he has great hands, and he knows his role.

I am not sure if you watched the Lamar game but he crossed up this guy and made him look absolutely silly the guy actually fell over, and Jimmer pulled up for a jumper that looked very fluid, the shot did rim out.

The last player on BYUs bench is better than anybody on this board and its not even close. I played Cityleague in Provo in the Open division that has several former college players (Danny Brotherson, Eric Neilson, Matt Montague) those guys dominate, even my buddy that played JC ball is night and day different than any one else on teh court.
Several of the guys I play with played college ball. They are good. They are the best on the court. But let's face it, there is a wide spectrum of ability in the college ranks. It's a big difference from the ACC to small colleges you never heard of.

One guy on our list for playing ball is a guy I went to high school with. In fact, he was on my mile relay team that won national AAU. He played college ball in Big 12, and then went and played Europe. I don't think I have ever played with him, and the guy who runs the church pickup says he probably doesn't come out because he would dominate and it wouldn't be fun for him. I would like to see him do it however.

Since when it is a sin to want to play with good players?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:15 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Btw, I have played pickup with Brian Mitchell. he is not amazing.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #33
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

My dad played city league with a guy that played a year or two with the Denver Nuggets and with former BYU team captain Mike May. It's amazing the difference in the level of play of those guys. They'd coast too but the second they wanted to take over they could. Even 15 years past their prime these guys were the best on the court.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:57 PM   #34
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Just to put it all in perspective. The gap between HS ballplayer and D-1 college ball player is larger than the gap between Church ballplayer and HS Ball player. The gap between NBA baller and D-1 baller has many gradations but to put it into perspective, Russel Larson, who was a star at the Y, won all conference selections, was long and extremely athletic and scored nearly 20 ppg during a season went to two NBA camps and got cut. Therefore, the gap between ballers at the Y and ballers in the NBA is very large.

I've been around the block in basketball. The fact is, BYU basketball does not get very talented players. Jimmer is a good shooter who can do some fun things. JT is a good shooter who can do some things. Burgess is a good shooter who can do some things. None of those three will ever play in the NBA. None of them even come close. They are all too slow, too small.

TP and Lee Cummard could become players who could make camps. TP could even get drafted (much to the dismay of the fans of whichever team drafts him). But their vaunted athleticism is a dime a dozen in the NBA and both have flaws that will keep them from sticking.

The only time I played against a future NBA All-Star he was a sophomore and I was a senior. He was taller than I was, faster than I was, had better handles than I did, had better touch than I did and had a higher b-ball IQ than I did. As a HS sophomore he was better than TP or Cummard and if BYU ever got his level of talent to attend the Y he would score 30 and get 15 rbs and 4 blocks per game before jumping to the league as a Sophomore.

That said, our talent level is sufficient for us to compete in the MWC every year and win it some years.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:17 PM   #35
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Just to put it all in perspective. The gap between HS ballplayer and D-1 college ball player is larger than the gap between Church ballplayer and HS Ball player. The gap between NBA baller and D-1 baller has many gradations but to put it into perspective, Russel Larson, who was a star at the Y, won all conference selections, was long and extremely athletic and scored nearly 20 ppg during a season went to two NBA camps and got cut. Therefore, the gap between ballers at the Y and ballers in the NBA is very large.

I've been around the block in basketball. The fact is, BYU basketball does not get very talented players. Jimmer is a good shooter who can do some fun things. JT is a good shooter who can do some things. Burgess is a good shooter who can do some things. None of those three will ever play in the NBA. None of them even come close. They are all too slow, too small.

TP and Lee Cummard could become players who could make camps. TP could even get drafted (much to the dismay of the fans of whichever team drafts him). But their vaunted athleticism is a dime a dozen in the NBA and both have flaws that will keep them from sticking.

The only time I played against a future NBA All-Star he was a sophomore and I was a senior. He was taller than I was, faster than I was, had better handles than I did, had better touch than I did and had a higher b-ball IQ than I did. As a HS sophomore he was better than TP or Cummard and if BYU ever got his level of talent to attend the Y he would score 30 and get 15 rbs and 4 blocks per game before jumping to the league as a Sophomore.

That said, our talent level is sufficient for us to compete in the MWC every year and win it some years.
So don't keep us in suspense, K-Dog. You think Mike could shut down Jimmer?
Old 12-14-2007, 11:17 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post

One comment: some people improve. Some don't.

I didn't even make the JV team. A lot of factors went into that, mainly that I was out of position--in a PG's body, playing power forward.

Anyway, now in my old age I am 50x the shooter that I was then. I am a better jump shooter. I can still occasionally go to the rim (at 5'10" I am often the shortest guy on the court, the middle is packed at this venue).

In other words I can hang on the court with my buds that played low-level college ball, even though I didn't make the JV team. (though they are certainly better). I can guard them.

If everything had worked out for me, in terms of development and coaching, I am certain I had the potential to be a varsity bball player. But college, no way.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:20 PM   #37
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
One comment: some people improve. Some don't.

I didn't even make the JV team. A lot of factors went into that, mainly that I was out of position--in a PG's body, playing power forward.

Anyway, now in my old age I am 50x the shooter that I was then. I am a better jump shooter. I can still occasionally go to the rim (at 5'10" I am often the shortest guy on the court, the middle is packed at this venue).

In other words I can hang on the court with my buds that played low-level college ball, even though I didn't make the JV team. (though they are certainly better). I can guard them.

If everything had worked out for me, in terms of development and coaching, I am certain I had the potential to be a varsity bball player. But college, no way.
We get it, Mike. The manner in which you crashed and burned in HS is in no way indicative of your current awesomeness and true athletic prowess. I think we all feel that way.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:21 PM   #38
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
We get it, Mike. The manner in which you crashed and burned in HS is in no way indicative of your current awesomeness and true athletic prowess. I think we all feel that way.
Furthermore, given my current intelligence, wit, and wealth, I am sure that I could bag all those girls in HS that turned me down. I am sure of it!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:24 PM   #39
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
In my case it is true.

When I started playing 1.5 year ago or so, man was I sucking bad.

I'm 10x better now. I've got my legs. My shot is consistent, opponents guard me out to 21 feet or so. The mid-range game is back. And the around the bucket finishing game is back.

What is kind of amazing to me is how long it took for aspects of the game to come back to me. Nothing is more frustrating than your brain giving commands and the result not happening. Feels good to have it back however.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:24 PM   #40
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Furthermore, given my current intelligence, wit, and wealth, I am sure that I could bag all those girls in HS that turned me down. I am sure of it!
This applies to me as well!