cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Tavernari

BYU with Tavernari starting and playing well: #20 in nation

BYU with Tavernari coming off bench and playing average: #40 in nation

BYU with Tavernari starting and playing poorly: #50 in nation

We need JT. This is Rose's chance to do some good coaching this year. If he can reign in JT a little without ruining his confidence, he will show the mark of a great coach. If he either lets him ruin the team or gives up on him, then he won't take this team as far as we could go.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I really think it was an effort to get some bench scoring. Our bench was contributing jack on offense for several games. That, plus it would allow Cummard an opportunity to get more involved in the offense.

Tav is a great person to have as a 6th man and he can still get 25 to 30 minutes.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Jimmer is not athletic.

(I figured it would get there eventually anyways).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Jimmer is not athletic.

(I figured it would get there eventually anyways).
LOL. OK, on Jimmer.

You keep going back to his recruiting video. Toss that out. We now have 187 minutes of him playing D1 ball and another 70+ minutes of him in exhibition games.

Here's what we know.

1. He's got a silky smooth jump shot and NBA range. Shooting 37% from 3's. Not the best but not bad for a frosh. He's been in a slump lately, I expect that # to go up.
2. He is a step slower than quick D1 guards. But he's a smart defender and can use his size and yes athleticism to keep his man in check. He leads the team in steals with 2/3 the minutes of the starters.
3. Bit of a liablity rebounding the ball from the wing position.
4. Started out solid on TO's but he's been TO prone lately. We'll watch that trend.
5. Can drive and dish or score. He might be the best guy on the team in creating his own shot from the perimeter, next to Burgess. But that might not be saying an awful lot for this team.
6. He would beat Mike Waters 21-0 in a game of one-on-one.

IMHO, he's a future star.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I really think it was an effort to get some bench scoring. Our bench was contributing jack on offense for several games. That, plus it would allow Cummard an opportunity to get more involved in the offense.

Tav is a great person to have as a 6th man and he can still get 25 to 30 minutes.
If Rose can work in 25-30 minutes for JT as a 6th man and JT plays great, then that works. I'm very skeptical that will work.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Whichever option gets Tavernari more shots and more minutes that is what Rose should go for. I think the key to BYU basketball is to make Tav the go to guy on offense. I mean the guy is shooting a blazing 38.5% from the field and 37.3% from the 3 point line. He needs more shots.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:06 PM   #7
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
We need JT. This is Rose's chance to do some good coaching this year. If he can reign in JT a little without ruining his confidence, he will show the mark of a great coach. If he either lets him ruin the team or gives up on him, then he won't take this team as far as we could go.
I don't buy the line about ruining a player's confidence. I don't want a player whose ego is that fragile. If a player can get his confidence ruined by simply being asked to come off the bench, then he'll never be a great player. One of the common attributes of great players is that they are mentally tough.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan

Last edited by non sequitur; 12-17-2007 at 05:09 PM.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Whichever option gets Tavernari more shots and more minutes that is what Rose should go for. I think the key to BYU basketball is to make Tav the go to guy on offense. I mean the guy is shooting a blazing 38.5% from the field and 37.3% from the 3 point line. He needs more shots.
You can come back and comment when you've followed a college team that actually knows how to score points.

Without JT in the game and without him at his best, which is shooting the ball a lot, this BYU team is not going to go very far.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I don't buy the line about ruining a player's confidence. I don't want a player whose ego is that fragile. If a player can get his confidence ruined by simply being asked to come off the bench, then he'll never be a great player. Great players are great because they're mentally tough.
I agree but that's not how it works in reality. Sure, if there were no scarcity in resources, we could run him off the team and find someone else that could rebound, guard other 4's, and be a threat to score everytime he touched the ball. If you find someone else on BYU's bench that can do that, I'm all for it. The reality is we probably don't have any GREAT players. We're a hodge podge of guys with varying skills and psyche and a great coach maximizes results with given players.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The worst part about BYU is the backcourt, btw. If you are the second best creator on this team at the 1 or 2 position, it's not saying much.

I haven't watched as much as Jay, but the only person I have seen do a marginally good job at putting the ball on the floor and heading to the basket and creating opportunities is Burgess. And he's not good at it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote