cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 12-17-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
If Rose can work in 25-30 minutes for JT as a 6th man and JT plays great, then that works. I'm very skeptical that will work.
I think JT needs to figure out what he is. Without him we are not as good of a team but with him shooting lots of shots and not connecting (think Michigan St.) we have problems. Fact is, JT is not much different than Mike Rose.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I think JT needs to figure out what he is. Without him we are not as good of a team but with him shooting lots of shots and not connecting (think Michigan St.) we have problems. Fact is, JT is not much different than Mike Rose.
How is Jimmer different from Mike Rose at this point?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #13
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
How is Jimmer different from Mike Rose at this point?
Jimmer? He doesn't shoot as much or as well as Rose and can't guard. He is worse than Rose was as a senior. JT is very similar to Rose. He can guard some players and likes to shoot whenever he touches the ball. If he can become comfortable shooting from off the bench, like Rose did, we could be a better team than we are with him starting.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 12-17-2007, 05:31 PM   #14
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The worst part about BYU is the backcourt, btw. If you are the second best creator on this team at the 1 or 2 position, it's not saying much.

I haven't watched as much as Jay, but the only person I have seen do a marginally good job at putting the ball on the floor and heading to the basket and creating opportunities is Burgess. And he's not good at it.
Finally we agree on something. Burgess seems to be the only one that looks to drive, but he never finishes nor does he really try, he will get all the way to the rim and kick it out, or a few times this year he had an easy layup on the front side of the rim and he would try some crazy reverse.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:42 PM   #15
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Finally we agree on something. Burgess seems to be the only one that looks to drive, but he never finishes nor does he really try, he will get all the way to the rim and kick it out, or a few times this year he had an easy layup on the front side of the rim and he would try some crazy reverse.
I think Cummard could penetrate to the rim but it isn't a part of his game that he has confidence in. The more he looks to score, the more we will find out if he can drive to the rim and finish. He takes the contact well on the break so I bet he can penetrate and score at the rim in the half court.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 12-17-2007, 05:51 PM   #16
K-dog

I just realized what Rose needs to do...he needs to give JT a copy of Hugh B. Brown's story of the currant bush. Right now JT is a currant bush but he wants to be an oak tree or something. Rose needs to prune him or something.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 12-17-2007, 07:41 PM   #17
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Tavernari shot 37% from 3 point and 60% from two point range last year. He had a higher rebound per minute avg than Keena and Trent. He was named freshman MWC POY.

In France, he shot 50% from 3 pt range and led the team, averaging 21 pts a game.

As the season started, he was the team leader and shooting well from three point land.

He's hit a cold streak. He also got a little too big for his britches the first three halves down in Vegas. Hopefully he's learning a lesson, will tone down his game, and we will see the JT we've grown accustomed to. He's the second most important player on our offense.

Collinsworth is solid and has potential, but he's a liability on offense. He's got the lowest FG%, 3 PT FG%, and FT% for anyone on the team that gets any minutes. We will be hurting if he has to average more than 12 minutes a game. Without JT in a starring type role, we won't go as far as we can.

Funk's bitter because JT ripped Utah's heart out last year.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #18
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Tavernari shot 37% from 3 point and 60% from two point range last year. He had a higher rebound per minute avg than Keena and Trent. He was named freshman MWC POY.

In France, he shot 50% from 3 pt range and led the team, averaging 21 pts a game.

As the season started, he was the team leader and shooting well from three point land.

He's hit a cold streak. He also got a little too big for his britches the first three halves down in Vegas. Hopefully he's learning a lesson, will tone down his game, and we will see the JT we've grown accustomed to. He's the second most important player on our offense.

Collinsworth is solid and has potential, but he's a liability on offense. He's got the lowest FG%, 3 PT FG%, and FT% for anyone on the team that gets any minutes. We will be hurting if he has to average more than 12 minutes a game. Without JT in a starring type role, we won't go as far as we can.

JT's biggest problem is his two point shooting. When his two point shooting is no better than from 3, that's a problem.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #19
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:

Why would I be bitter about that game. It was a lost season for Ute basketball because of Giacoletti. I expected a loss, so I don't think my heart was ripped out by a game I expected to lose.

Tavernari cannot shoot right now. He is a gunner and I hate that type of player.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #20
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

JT first 5.5 games:

53% from 3 pt land

JT last 5.5 games:

24% from 3 pt land, shooting more three's in less minutes played

Obviously, the JT of the first five games is ideal. The JT of the last five games is bad. Something in the middle would be find. Collinsworth is barely better than the JT of the last five games. Which basically is saying I'd rather play nobody than someone who's hurting us.

Agree with Indy, his two point shooting is bad. The turnaround jumpers from 17 ft with hand in his face is probably first place to start when looking at what shots to eliminate.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote