cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
ilmf

ilmf is on a distinguished road
Default Tyler Haws and Utah...

Listened to DJ and PK (local Utah sports talk heads) on my drive into work this morning. PK was at the Utah-Air Force game on Saturday night, and he said after the game, Tyler walked across the court to Boylen. Boylen gave him a huge hug and introduced him to his wife. His wife said, "So you're the one I don't stop hearing about at dinner every night!"
ilmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Not to hijack your thread, ilmf, but I have always wondered about your moniker. I have a pretty good idea what the "mf" part stands for, but what about the "il" part?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmf View Post
Listened to DJ and PK (local Utah sports talk heads) on my drive into work this morning. PK was at the Utah-Air Force game on Saturday night, and he said after the game, Tyler walked across the court to Boylen. Boylen gave him a huge hug and introduced him to his wife. His wife said, "So you're the one I don't stop hearing about at dinner every night!"

I hope PK said Saturday night. The game was at noon Saturday.

I would be shocked if the kid went to Utah.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I hope PK said Saturday night. The game was at noon Saturday.

I would be shocked if the kid went to Utah.
This will be an interesting situation with deep ramifications. If he does go to Utah, then I think it will be a one of those "that was the beginning of the end of the Dave Rose era" events a few years down the road. If he ends up at BYU, which like you I expect it to be BYU if he doesn't go national, Boylen is going to have to evaluate the time and energy he spends on such recruits. I can understand an LDS kid from SLC that is a lifetime Ute, but Majerus finally concluded that he was wasting time on the LDS kids from Utah not from SLC. They tell you all the right things but when push comes to shove Mama wants her baby where Mama wants her baby.

I don't know what his mission plans are, but if he has any at all the big boys will drop him fast once he comes out with those plans. He is marginally a national level recruit, ala Cummard, and his local teams are Utah and BYU. If he were from LA or Phoenix or Seattle, I could see the local Pac-10 teams willing to wait for him to return from a mission but not for a kid from Utah County. After the big boys drop him, my guess is he will rebound to the BYU after leading Utah along. That is not to say that Utah has no chance or that Tyler is not seriously considering Utah is his own mind presently, just that when push comes to shove Mama gonna have her baby where Mama wants her baby.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Isn't there another good recruit whose dad played at the Y?

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Isn't there another good recruit whose dad played at the Y?
CJ Wilcox. I understand his old man played for Reid in the early 90's. I don't know if CJ was as nearly immersed in BYU blue as Marty Haws' son.

I also don't get the viber that CJ is as big a target as Haws. I just view Haws as one of those don't miss prospects for BYU. I know all the one kid doesn't make a team mantra, but hoops only offers 13 scholarships and BYU rarely finds non-LDS kids on the perimeter with the reputed skill set of Tyler Haws. I identify this as a don't miss type of prospect. I also will be very surprised if BYU doesn't land him in the end.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Tyler Haws is important to BYU because as Goat identifies, BYU signing legitimate D1 perimeter players is as rare as virtue in a film by Jenna Jamison.

Who is CJ Wilcox, and I apologize for my ignorance.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #8
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
CJ Wilcox. I understand his old man played for Reid in the early 90's. I don't know if CJ was as nearly immersed in BYU blue as Marty Haws' son.

I also don't get the viber that CJ is as big a target as Haws. I just view Haws as one of those don't miss prospects for BYU. I know all the one kid doesn't make a team mantra, but hoops only offers 13 scholarships and BYU rarely finds non-LDS kids on the perimeter with the reputed skill set of Tyler Haws. I identify this as a don't miss type of prospect. I also will be very surprised if BYU doesn't land him in the end.
I'm just surprised to hear that neither Hawes kid nor Wilcox kid is a BYU lock. it seems there is some ill will from former players.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I'm just surprised to hear that neither Hawes kid nor Wilcox kid is a BYU lock. it seems there is some ill will from former players.
There might be ill will from Wilcox. I don't think there is any ill will from the Hawes', but the Hawes' are ensuring Tyler is properly evaluating his options so that he makes a wise decision. I think Tyler is handling the situation well, from what little I can glean. I also am pretty confident that it will end the way most stories like this always end with respect to BYU.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
There might be ill will from Wilcox. I don't think there is any ill will from the Hawes', but the Hawes' are ensuring Tyler is properly evaluating his options so that he makes a wise decision. I think Tyler is handling the situation well, from what little I can glean. I also am pretty confident that it will end the way most stories like this always end with respect to BYU.
Marty just knows what uncle Jake was up to at BYU and is worried that it's an appropriate environment for his son to be in.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote