cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #21
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Whether Haws goes to Utah or BYU probably depends on how badly he wants to actually complete a two-year mission. Only BYU can give hem a a free pass, redeeming his mission obligation while permitting him to pursue his collegiate athletic ambitions uninterrupted or virtually uninterrupted, and hold his head high amid LDS culture despite avoiding actual mission service. If he has a burning desire to actually serve a two-year mission then Utah will be in the hunt for him.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #22
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Jake Kuresas sister married Marty Haws.

LOL, you mean Kuresas mother is Marty Haws sister.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #23
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Whether Haws goes to Utah or BYU probably depends on how badly he wants to actually complete a two-year mission. Only BYU can give hem a a free pass, redeeming his mission obligation while permitting him to pursue his collegiate athletic ambitions uninterrupted or virtually uninterrupted, and hold his head high amid LDS culture despite avoiding actual mission service. If he has a burning desire to actually serve a two-year mission then Utah will be in the hunt for him.

LOL, you would be so right if anyone outside of the BYU and U of U culture really gave a crap.

The U of U culture gives everyone a free pass on coming home early, except of course BYU missionaries.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
This will be an interesting situation with deep ramifications. If he does go to Utah, then I think it will be a one of those "that was the beginning of the end of the Dave Rose era" events a few years down the road. If he ends up at BYU, which like you I expect it to be BYU if he doesn't go national, Boylen is going to have to evaluate the time and energy he spends on such recruits. I can understand an LDS kid from SLC that is a lifetime Ute, but Majerus finally concluded that he was wasting time on the LDS kids from Utah not from SLC. They tell you all the right things but when push comes to shove Mama wants her baby where Mama wants her baby.

I don't know what his mission plans are, but if he has any at all the big boys will drop him fast once he comes out with those plans. He is marginally a national level recruit, ala Cummard, and his local teams are Utah and BYU. If he were from LA or Phoenix or Seattle, I could see the local Pac-10 teams willing to wait for him to return from a mission but not for a kid from Utah County. After the big boys drop him, my guess is he will rebound to the BYU after leading Utah along. That is not to say that Utah has no chance or that Tyler is not seriously considering Utah is his own mind presently, just that when push comes to shove Mama gonna have her baby where Mama wants her baby.
Is it common knowledge that Sister Haws wants her boy to go to BYU? Or is this speculation?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #25
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
LOL, you mean Kuresas mother is Marty Haws sister.
Yeah thats it. My bad.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #26
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Is it common knowledge that Sister Haws wants her boy to go to BYU? Or is this speculation?
It is my speculation, but I think it is one of those pretty safe speculations. Perhaps not as consistent as the sun will come up tomorrow, but I am going to go out on a limb that if Marty and Sister Haws made their personal desires public between their son going to Utah or BYU that BYU is probably the runaway winner.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Goat has signaled that the combination of a subpar season and not signing Haws will lead to him turning on Rose.

Interesting.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #28
BYU71

Quote:
It is my speculation, but I think it is one of those pretty safe speculations. Perhaps not as consistent as the sun will come up tomorrow, but I am going to go out on a limb that if Marty and Sister Haws made their personal desires public between their son going to Utah or BYU that BYU is probably the runaway winner.

My brother knows Marty pretty well. The grandpa is the real vocal BYU fan. Marty is playing things close to the vest as far as he can tell. Rumors that he has no interest in BYU a while ago my bro. said were completely false. However, he doesn't get the idea it is a done deal by a long shot.

Caveat: Last I talked to him about Haws was a couple of months ago.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #29
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Goat has signaled that the combination of a subpar season and not signing Haws will lead to him turning on Rose.

Interesting.
It would not be a good state of affairs. Being the BYU hoop coach is tough. You are second tier and fans, identified by yourself and Archaea, live in another world of expectations for satisifaction that the program cannot consistently support. I would think we start to see the end of the Rose tenure if these unfortunate events transpire. Similar to Cleveland he is likely to conclude what you and Archaea want and what BYU can do are not commensurrate.

For the record I still think this squad will make the NCAA and is likely to win the MWC outright. I don't consider that a subpar year. I even think they have a decent shot to win an NCAA game. I also think Haws will end up at BYU.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It would not be a good state of affairs. Being the BYU hoop coach is tough. You are second tier and fans, identified by yourself and Archaea, live in another world of expectations for satisifaction that the program cannot consistently support. I would think we start to see the end of the Rose tenure if these unfortunate events transpire. Similar to Cleveland he is likely to conclude what you and Archaea want and what BYU can do are not commensurrate.

For the record I still think this squad will make the NCAA and is likely to win the MWC outright. I don't consider that a subpar year. I even think they have a decent shot to win an NCAA game. I also think Haws will end up at BYU.
A lot of my current disenchantment is related to Tavernari's behavior. I can't root for the guy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote