cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 01-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #31
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
It would not be a good state of affairs. Being the BYU hoop coach is tough. You are second tier and fans, identified by yourself and Archaea, live in another world of expectations for satisifaction that the program cannot consistently support. I would think we start to see the end of the Rose tenure if these unfortunate events transpire. Similar to Cleveland he is likely to conclude what you and Archaea want and what BYU can do are not commensurrate.

For the record I still think this squad will make the NCAA and is likely to win the MWC outright. I don't consider that a subpar year. I even think they have a decent shot to win an NCAA game. I also think Haws will end up at BYU.
Right now I would say we win the conf. Lose the UNLV invitational. Get a 8-10 seed and win a tourney game, that 's all one.

I too think Haws will be at BYU and please don't have a HC scandal on the BB team. He has a lot of non-LDS kids and non serve two year missions guys. If they crack down on him and demand the Bronco ratio, kiss good BB teams good bye.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #32
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
My brother knows Marty pretty well. The grandpa is the real vocal BYU fan. Marty is playing things close to the vest as far as he can tell. Rumors that he has no interest in BYU a while ago my bro. said were completely false. However, he doesn't get the idea it is a done deal by a long shot.

Caveat: Last I talked to him about Haws was a couple of months ago.
I understand that. They are handling this appropriately and having Tyler investigate all of his options thoroughly and want Tyler to make his own decision. They want to ensure that he has the chance to play at the best hoop school that he can, if that is what Tyler wants. I think I understand what they are doing and why they are doing it.

However, when it comes time to committ to a school, I mean not enjoy having grown men kiss the ass of a teenage boy but to make a genuine decision about where he is going to live and play ball and look for a wife, I gurantee you that many of the social, religious and cultural and proximity advantages of BYU, not to mention the deep family love of the place, will begin to reappear in the thought processes of everyone involved a lot more vividly than they are today. If Tyler really wants to go to Stanford or Duke or Utah and those schools have offered I think he will go there. I just know mormons, and I know teenage kids as I was one once. I am fairly confident that in the end Tyler will do the comfortable thing for him. I have seen this play out in the recruitment of other kids in similar situations. I am speaking in probabilities here.

I also think that Rose knows the importance of landing this kid. Rose hasn't failed to land very many top notch LDS kids that he pursues.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #33
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
A lot of my current disenchantment is related to Tavernari's behavior. I can't root for the guy.
Then root for Cummard and Plaisted, they were both APs in the mission field!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #34
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I understand that. They are handling this appropriately and having Tyler investigate all of his options thoroughly and want Tyler to make his own decision. They want to ensure that he has the chance to play at the best hoop school that he can, if that is what Tyler wants. I think I understand what they are doing and why they are doing it.

However, when it comes time to committ to a school, I mean not enjoy having grown men kiss the ass of a teenage boy but to make a genuine decision about where he is going to live and play ball and look for a wife, I gurantee you that many of the social, religious and cultural and proximity advantages of BYU, not to mention the deep family love of the place, will begin to reappear in the thought processes of everyone involved a lot more vividly than they are today. If Tyler really wants to go to Stanford or Duke or Utah and those schools have offered I think he will go there. I just know mormons, and I know teenage kids as I was one once. I am fairly confident that in the end Tyler will do the comfortable thing for him. I have seen this play out in the recruitment of other kids in similar situations. I am speaking in probabilities here.

I also think that Rose knows the importance of landing this kid. Rose hasn't failed to land very many top notch LDS kids that he pursues.
I am agreeing with you, he will be at BYU. I don't think he is any less of a done deal than Jake was. Remember all the hype about Jake going elsewhere. Jake told me himself some of the crap put on the board about his recruiting was done by him for kicks. I know of several players who got a kick out of CB.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I am agreeing with you, he will be at BYU. I don't think he is any less of a done deal than Jake was. Remember all the hype about Jake going elsewhere. Jake told me himself some of the crap put on the board about his recruiting was done by him for kicks. I know of several players who got a kick out of CB.
when my son is a 4 star recruit, I assure you I will be have some fun with it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #36
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
when my son is a 4 star recruit, I assure you I will be have some fun with it.
I assume you mean in basketball, because if Bronco hasn't offered yet, he's probably all out of scholies for his year (assuming he's walking age).
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #37
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It is my speculation, but I think it is one of those pretty safe speculations. Perhaps not as consistent as the sun will come up tomorrow, but I am going to go out on a limb that if Marty and Sister Haws made their personal desires public between their son going to Utah or BYU that BYU is probably the runaway winner.
Fair enough.

Personally, if Haws wants to play at BYU or Utah, I say good for him, although I think it would be amusing to watch the reaction by zoob nation should he sign with Utah.

As a fan of the Utes, I can only cheer for whomever is wearing the red uniforms. If a kid doesn't want to play at Utah, it's no big deal to me, really.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #38
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Quote:
A lot of my current disenchantment is related to Tavernari's behavior. I can't root for the guy.
Funny, it's kinda the same way I feel about you.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote