cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 01-19-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just got home from the game....

A few things.....

1. When we get 6 points from Plaisted, and 0 from Tavernari I would put my life savings on a Loss for the cougars. The bench really stepped up, and the minutes they played early in the year really seemed to help them stay calm and focused.

2. Nevill is not a bad post player, he looked tougher today than he has in any game this season, I think Boylen challenged him and Luke outplayed Trent in a big way.

3. Utah is awful offensively even with Nevill having a decent game, they run one play, Kepkay looked horrible, Drca was decent had a few nice drives but the miss on the front end of the one in one takes all that away. I know they shoot a high percentage and they are among the nations leaders but how many possessions ended in them not even getting a shot off or a hurried shot?

4. Boylen may be a great motivator but he was absolutely outcoached tonight. Like I said Utah ran one play, a post entry to Nevill and then stand around and let him shoot. When they went to play number 2 which was a pick and roll they scored once, BYU called a timeout came out in a zone for a possession or two and Utah never went back to it. Also the play at the end of the game was awful, great call by Boylen on that one.

5. Jimmer and Collinsworth are gamers, they play hard every possession go balls to the wall, and they will be very good in the future. Also Mike Loyd is a great on the ball defender.

6. The Ute fans were pretty loud at times, but the announced attendance of 14,229 was an absolute joke. I would say 11k tops. The whole upper section had holes in it. After the game we were flipped off constantly and it made me feel good. We even had a guy call us "geek Mormons" and try to fight me. I just kept smiling, all the way down the hill we were constantly flipped off. It did not bother me one bit.

7. This is a nice win and should be a big confidence booster for the Cougars, two big games at home this week, if we can take care of business at home 4-1 after playing the top 4 teams in the conference looks very good.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the read out.

That middle finger means, "You own us, you totally own us."

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

How big was the guy who wanted to fight you? I picture you to be a big, menacing guy surrounded by big, menacing Poly friends.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing like a win to stop the bleeding, especially a win over your rival in your building. As I mentioned to you before, I thought the fans were being a little hard on the team given how early it is in MWC play. This is a big road win for BYU...I don't think very many other teams in conference will come into the Huntsman Center and win...I could be wrong though.

I look at this Utah team as being a team that is a year away and really "playing with house money" this season. I'm sure Boylan & Co. would disagree, but he's essentially cleaned house and the guys that haven't quit are guys that you know are ready to buy in to his system. Having said that, we need someone who is consistantly ready, willing, and able to take the shot...and then we gotta get the ball to him. His name is Johnny Bryant this year and the fact that he didn't get the ball (given the type of play they ran) was ridiculous.

Bryant and Nevill and Drca and Nevill need to work the inside out game and get that going. I think if they do that, the rest of the team will have success.

Lee Cummard continues to be my pick for MWC Player of the Year.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
How big was the guy who wanted to fight you? I picture you to be a big, menacing guy surrounded by big, menacing Poly friends.
He wasnt that big, and unless he was a professional fighter I would have kicked the hell out of him. Speaking of polys I saw Utah recruit Kemoeatu at the game, he is a big time recruit for them, afterwards I said: "Dont come here, otherwise you will have to suffer through 4 years of this"

He didnt think I was very funny.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
He wasnt that big, and unless he was a professional fighter I would have kicked the hell out of him. Speaking of polys I saw Utah recruit Kemoeatu at the game, he is a big time recruit for them, afterwards I said: "Dont come here, otherwise you will have to suffer through 4 years of this"

He didnt think I was very funny.
I forgot to mention in my post that I was flipping you off as I was typing...not the easiest thing to do.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:59 PM   #7
cougjunkie

Also let me add that both sides have some good smack talk and both have horrible smack talk. I had a guy trying to argue that Navy is a better win than UCLA, so the Utes are better than BYU. I guess he forgot about playing head to head.

Also another guy told me that we are not a good basketball team and wont do anything this year. I responded with: "Well whats that make you?" He said:"well we didnt expect to be good anyways". I love this excuse, its even better because I had a guy at last years game say almost the exact same thing.

Also Utefans I give you credit you were fairly loud today, but you have to sell that game out especially if your arena only holds 15k. BYU fans you were awful, and a lot of BYU fans gave up on this team. I am not saying we are back, but the BYU section was as small as I have seen it and I havent missed a game at the HC in 9 years.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:00 AM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

The only time I've watched Nevill play is against Plaisted/BYU. I think he's a lottery pick and one of the best centers the MWC has had.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:30 AM   #9
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

The only time I've watched Nevill play is against Plaisted/BYU. I think he's a lottery pick and one of the best centers the MWC has had.

I'd have to agree with that analysis....he's got some skills.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:13 AM   #10
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
A few things.....

1. When we get 6 points from Plaisted, and 0 from Tavernari I would put my life savings on a Loss for the cougars. The bench really stepped up, and the minutes they played early in the year really seemed to help them stay calm and focused.

2. Nevill is not a bad post player, he looked tougher today than he has in any game this season, I think Boylen challenged him and Luke outplayed Trent in a big way.

3. Utah is awful offensively even with Nevill having a decent game, they run one play, Kepkay looked horrible, Drca was decent had a few nice drives but the miss on the front end of the one in one takes all that away. I know they shoot a high percentage and they are among the nations leaders but how many possessions ended in them not even getting a shot off or a hurried shot?

4. Boylen may be a great motivator but he was absolutely outcoached tonight. Like I said Utah ran one play, a post entry to Nevill and then stand around and let him shoot. When they went to play number 2 which was a pick and roll they scored once, BYU called a timeout came out in a zone for a possession or two and Utah never went back to it. Also the play at the end of the game was awful, great call by Boylen on that one.

5. Jimmer and Collinsworth are gamers, they play hard every possession go balls to the wall, and they will be very good in the future. Also Mike Loyd is a great on the ball defender.

6. The Ute fans were pretty loud at times, but the announced attendance of 14,229 was an absolute joke. I would say 11k tops. The whole upper section had holes in it. After the game we were flipped off constantly and it made me feel good. We even had a guy call us "geek Mormons" and try to fight me. I just kept smiling, all the way down the hill we were constantly flipped off. It did not bother me one bit.

7. This is a nice win and should be a big confidence booster for the Cougars, two big games at home this week, if we can take care of business at home 4-1 after playing the top 4 teams in the conference looks very good.
I wouldn't judge the Utes oh-fense too much on that game. It was easily the worst offensive game we have played all season. This team still has a long way to go. Now BYU did some really good things to force the shitty Ute play, but still we had some wide open looks like we didn't knock down.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote