cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2008, 12:04 AM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Some of you guys are why I'm mostly retired from basketball. You're not going pro. You're out there for the cardio and the fun. If you're guarding a guy 8" taller than you in the paint, chances are he's going to score. Try switching to a shorter player. I'm all for playing tough, hard nosed ball, boxing out, putting a body on someone in the paint, but it's not cool to play dirty and hurt people because you need an advantage.
It's not cool to hurt people and push them around when you don't need an advantage, either.

You put an elbow in my back and shove me, what do you expect me to do? My only choice is to make sure our exchange rate is equal.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:10 AM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Some of you guys are why I'm mostly retired from basketball. You're not going pro. You're out there for the cardio and the fun. If you're guarding a guy 8" taller than you in the paint, chances are he's going to score. Try switching to a shorter player. I'm all for playing tough, hard nosed ball, boxing out, putting a body on someone in the paint, but it's not cool to play dirty and hurt people because you need an advantage.
Mike's comments tell me there should be no church basketball. If the attitude is more than just shoot a few basketball, then go to the YMCA where you can draw blood.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:58 AM   #23
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Mike's comments tell me there should be no church basketball. If the attitude is more than just shoot a few basketball, then go to the YMCA where you can draw blood.
Doesn't Mike have an open invitation to Jimmer to play one-on-one? It looks like Jimmer is ducking him.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:01 AM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Doesn't Mike have an open invitation to Jimmer to play one-on-one? It looks like Jimmer is ducking him.
With Mike threatening to break his nose, it's no wonder people don't wish to play him.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:14 AM   #25
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

I come at it somewhat from a different perspective as I'm the guy playing center(in church ball, mostly pickup). Sometimes, the person guarding me feels the need to employ 'special' tactics to guard me. Because I'm taller than him. And that's just not fair. Most of these tactics involve taking my legs out from under me when I post up. Or, if the guy guarding me has a little bulk to him and I am calling for the ball in front of him, he sometimes shoves me. hard. And repeatedly. I can put up with this for a while but this is a crappy way to play ball. I can understand denying position but this shoving with all your might every time is just crap.

Everybody has their little strategies. One guy who was guarding me would start boxing me out in the middle of my jump shot(in the act of releasing the ball). Now THAT was annoying.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #26
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall View Post
I come at it somewhat from a different perspective as I'm the guy playing center(in church ball, mostly pickup). Sometimes, the person guarding me feels the need to employ 'special' tactics to guard me. Because I'm taller than him. And that's just not fair. Most of these tactics involve taking my legs out from under me when I post up. And repeatedly. I can put up with this for a while but this is a crappy way to play ball. I can understand denying position but this shoving with all your might every time is just crap.

Everybody has their little strategies. One guy who was guarding me would start boxing me out in the middle of my jump shot(in the act of releasing the ball). Now THAT was annoying.
You should have just given Mike a hard elbow to the bridge of his nose.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #27
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I busted my left ankle getting undercut by someone boxing me out for a rebound they had no chance at getting. I came down awkwardly on his foot and then spent the night in the emergency room and had a cast and boot on my leg for 4 months.

So now I hang out around the 3 point line and jack up shots without playing inside. People that don't know how to play are dangerous. I am a snob like that. If people are out of control I won't play.

This is also why I refuse to play volleyball with people that don't know how to play. I remember my singles ward used to get pissed at me for not playing with them. I'd just watch. They asked me if I thought I was better than them and I said yes. It was true.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #28
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I subscribe to similar technique. I have found that they either retaliate or they back down. I would also say that 90% of players in pick up situations back down and make rebounding a fairly easy task for the rest of the night. You have to be VERY strong with the initial forearm and the followthrough with the other elbow completing the move is key.

Oh yeah you better not be a wuss because it is likely that the 10% who retaliate will do so with force.
I admit this technique has resulted in fights. I learned it in the ghetto and haven't had much problem when I use it on non-ghetto kids but the ghetto kids get mad about it over time.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #29
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I busted my left ankle getting undercut by someone boxing me out for a rebound they had no chance at getting. I came down awkwardly on his foot and then spent the night in the emergency room and had a cast and boot on my leg for 4 months.

So now I hang out around the 3 point line and jack up shots without playing inside. People that don't know how to play are dangerous. I am a snob like that. If people are out of control I won't play.

This is also why I refuse to play volleyball with people that don't know how to play. I remember my singles ward used to get pissed at me for not playing with them. I'd just watch. They asked me if I thought I was better than them and I said yes. It was true.
I don't make any athletic moves in low level games, whether it is basketball or volleyball.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I landed on someone's foot playing volleyball at BYU. Major ankle sprain. Was out for two months.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote