cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
On the other hand, while I do understand BYU fans' desire to emphasize the positive, the truth is that only BYU fans remember conference championships. Everywhere else in the country you are define by your post season performance.

I'm not saying that the post season ought to matter more to BYU fans, I'm speaking purely from the standpoint of nation perception. Maybe that doesn't/shouldn't matter.
Are you sure it's BYU fans underemphasizing post-season performance because our achievements have been more on the regular season...or is it that Utes overemphasize post-season as a criteria because your resume is so strong on that, comparatively?

20 years from now, no one will ever argue that the 2007 Giants were better than the Pats or Eli better than Brady or their coach more successful than Pats coach...even if you were to just isolate the 2007 season.

Like others have said, I'm not sure what people remember or if they remember much at all, but NCAA tourney play is definitely not the only criteria. Especially when the difference is a Sweet 16 vs a one and done. I want a Sweet 16 more than anyone for my team, but it's pretty silly to just look at NCAA record and ignore everything else as a measuring stick.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:18 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Are you sure it's BYU fans underemphasizing post-season performance because our achievements have been more on the regular season...or is it that Utes overemphasize post-season as a criteria because your resume is so strong on that, comparatively?

20 years from now, no one will ever argue that the 2007 Giants were better than the Pats or Eli better than Brady or their coach more successful than Pats coach...even if you were to just isolate the 2007 season.

Like others have said, I'm not sure what people remember or if they remember much at all, but NCAA tourney play is definitely not the only criteria. Especially when the difference is a Sweet 16 vs a one and done. I want a Sweet 16 more than anyone for my team, but it's pretty silly to just look at NCAA record and ignore everything else as a measuring stick.
20 years form now, people will remember that the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl. It doesn't matter that the Pats were 16-0 in the regular season because they didn't win the title.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:22 AM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
20 years form now, people will remember that the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl. It doesn't matter that the Pats were 16-0 in the regular season because they didn't win the title.
Actually because the Pats went 18-0...and had a chance...and ended up choking away...during the Belicheat era.....usually teams say nobody remembers who took 2nd place.

They'll always remember this team that took 2nd place.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:41 AM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Actually because the Pats went 18-0...and had a chance...and ended up choking away...during the Belicheat era.....usually teams say nobody remembers who took 2nd place.

They'll always remember this team that took 2nd place.
Which is why I posted that people will remember that the Giants beat the Pats.

I believe the Patriots have finally given Bills fans a reason to be happy. the '07 Patriots are the biggest chokers ever.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:13 AM   #15
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, people will remember a champ no matter the circumstance, but nobody really cares who made it out of the first and/or second round back in 1987. That is way over blown unless it's a huge upset like 15 over 2.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:01 AM   #16
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Conference Championships are a lot harder to come by than NCAA tourney wins, therefore more emphasis should be placed on conference titles. Anybody can get hot going in to the tournament and run of a win or two, but to be consistent for 16 or 18 games night in and night out takes a lot more skill.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:04 PM   #17
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Conference Championships are a lot harder to come by than NCAA tourney wins, therefore more emphasis should be placed on conference titles. Anybody can get hot going in to the tournament and run of a win or two, but to be consistent for 16 or 18 games night in and night out takes a lot more skill.
Anybody "can", but very few do.
I think you underestimate the difficulty of winning in the tourney.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:05 PM   #18
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
I agree, people will remember a champ no matter the circumstance, but nobody really cares who made it out of the first and/or second round back in 1987. That is way over blown unless it's a huge upset like 15 over 2.
especially if you can't remember the last time you made it out of the first round (c:
Old 02-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #19
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
Nobody remembers A win at the tourny. More important is record and ending ranking.
I think this is probably the case in Football, but not really basketball. Halfway through the basketball season, the top 25 becomes irrelevant and is replaced by bracketology.

Is it more important right now that BYU is ranked #26 in the nation? Or that they could potentially be a 5 seed.

Because of the structure of the college basketball season,and automatic bids going to tourney winners, tournament seeding and success defines a season.

Sure, individual teams can look back and say that they had a great season, but it all hinges on how they ended in the tournament.

Who had more success? The 97-98 Utes that lost in the championship game as a 4 seed? or the 98-99 Utes who went in as a 2 seed having lost 3 or 4 regular season games (if that) and got bounced by Miami of Ohio in the second round of the tournament.

In football, record and ending ranking matter, in basketball, not so much, IMO.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #20
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
I think this is probably the case in Football, but not really basketball. Halfway through the basketball season, the top 25 becomes irrelevant and is replaced by bracketology.

Is it more important right now that BYU is ranked #26 in the nation? Or that they could potentially be a 5 seed.

Because of the structure of the college basketball season,and automatic bids going to tourney winners, tournament seeding and success defines a season.

Sure, individual teams can look back and say that they had a great season, but it all hinges on how they ended in the tournament.

Who had more success? The 97-98 Utes that lost in the championship game as a 4 seed? or the 98-99 Utes who went in as a 2 seed having lost 3 or 4 regular season games (if that) and got bounced by Miami of Ohio in the second round of the tournament.

In football, record and ending ranking matter, in basketball, not so much, IMO.

Exactly, 97-98 is the season I remember.
I had completely forgotten about the 98-99 situation until you mentioned it.