cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 02-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #31
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
If Travis Hansen can sniff the NBA, Cummard can make an NBA roster and probably stick for quite some time.

Cummard is not only better than Hansen was, but I'm not sure it's even close at this point.
We will see but I thought Travis' strength and ability to power to the rack made him a better pro prospect. I think Travis could crucify Lee in a one on one, and I doubt it would even be close.

Lee is a great player who makes others better and has a higher hoops iq than Travis, but lets not forget that Travis' two principal years as a contributor he didn't have the supporting cast that Lee has.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #32
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If Travis Hansen can sniff the NBA, Cummard can make an NBA roster and probably stick for quite some time.

Cummard is not only better than Hansen was, but I'm not sure it's even close at this point.
Cummard's not as good as Hansen. Not sure how his game will transfer to the next level, but as a college player Hansen as a senior was clearly better than Cummard now.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #33
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
My guess is that all three of them make an NBA development roster spot. I also bet that Cummard is drafted by the Celtics in the second round after next year. Plaisted has too much athletic ability for someone not to take a chance on him and try to develop him. Neville is long and will get a chance. Whether or not they ever crack an NBA top 12 roster, I don't know. But I bet all three make it through at least one NBA training camp with a roster spot.
Nevill is the only one of the three that has a legitimate shot at the NBA -- and that's only because of his size. Cummard is too frail and Plaisted, though he is athletic, plays below the rim. People go on and on about Plaisted's athleticism, but when was the last time you saw him use it in a game? Cummard and Plaisted are both great college players, but neither will play significant minutes in the NBA.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #34
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Nevill is the only one of the three that has a legitimate shot at the NBA -- and that's only because of his size. Cummard is too frail and Plaisted, though he is athletic, plays below the rim. People go on and on about Plaisted's athleticism, but when was the last time you saw him use it in a game? Cummard and Plaisted are both great college players, but neither will play significant minutes in the NBA.
I'm not a big NBA guy but I can't imagine Plaisted doing anything at that level. He wouldn't score on anyone playing the 5 in the NBA. His defense is poor, comparatively. He has no perimeter game. His shooting sucks.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Plaisted was stuffed by Green last night. Enough said. He may have "measurables", but he plays small.

Cummard, I like his game a lot, but I'm trying to think of a single NBA player with his makeup and skillset. Can't think of one. In other words, there aren't too many pipe-thin white-boy small forwards in the league. I'd be happy if there was a place for him, but I can't imagine what it would be.

Neville, I don't really know, since I don't pay attention. He could make a roster as a stiff to suck up fouls.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #36
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Plaisted was stuffed by Green last night. Enough said. He may have "measurables", but he plays small.

Cummard, I like his game a lot, but I'm trying to think of a single NBA player with his makeup and skillset. Can't think of one. In other words, there aren't too many pipe-thin white-boy small forwards in the league. I'd be happy if there was a place for him, but I can't imagine what it would be.

Neville, I don't really know, since I don't pay attention. He could make a roster as a stiff to suck up fouls.

I think people are missing the boat somewhat on Cummard as a NBA prospect. They look at Cummard as an all-around player and determine that he lacks the strength, athleticism (whatever it is) to be that same type of player he's known as in college.

I think Cummard makes it - if he makes it - as a shooter. A shooter who can do some other things to help you win. But his bread and butter will be as a spot up shooter.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think people are missing the boat somewhat on Cummard as a NBA prospect. They look at Cummard as an all-around player and determine that he lacks the strength, athleticism (whatever it is) to be that same type of player he's known as in college.

I think Cummard makes it - if he makes it - as a shooter. A shooter who can do some other things to help you win. But his bread and butter will be as a spot up shooter.
What you mean is "scorer". But he is not a scorer. Nor is he a shooter. He is a jack-of-all-trades.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #38
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I'm not saying they'll stay on an NBA roster or ever contribute to an NBA team, but I think all three will make it out of trainging camp on an NBA roster and promptly assigned to the development league.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #39
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
What you mean is "scorer". But he is not a scorer. Nor is he a shooter. He is a jack-of-all-trades.
No, I don't mean scorer. I meant shooter. He shoots 56% FGs, 45% 3pt FGs and 85% FTs (those numbers are from memory, but I know I'm pretty close). Those are the numbers of a shooter.

If he can learn to put the ball on the floor and create more of his offense, you can pencil him in for a 10 year NBA career. As of now, he's just a shooter.

And yes, he is a jack-of-all-trades right now as a junior at BYU. I just don't see that earning him an NBA paycheck.

Last edited by smokymountainrain; 02-21-2008 at 09:00 PM.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote