cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #11
TexasAg

TexasAg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Did anyone else read this link? UT's "racial problems" consist of some people thinking UT is doing to much to try to get racial minorities into their school. Yeah, that's reprehensible.
My point was that A&M is not the only school dealing with minority enrollment problems. UT is as you say 'trying too hard' to correct the problem.

I don't know if it's the $$ to attend A&M and UT or the size, but it is not anything the universities are doing purposely. I doubt BYU is weeding them out either, but how do you explain the small minority population?

You guys wouldn't tolerate me saying BYU is racist so why do you tolerate the things MikeWaters is trying to imply about A&M?
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg View Post
My point was that A&M is not the only school dealing with minority enrollment problems. UT is as you say 'trying too hard' to correct the problem.

I don't know if it's the $$ to attend A&M and UT or the size, but it is not anything the universities are doing purposely. I doubt BYU is weeding them out either, but how do you explain the small minority population?

You guys wouldn't tolerate me saying BYU is racist so why do you tolerate the things MikeWaters is trying to imply about A&M?
Umm, maybe because all the Aggies saying "if blacks don't like A&M that's their problem, they just want to go to Grambling State anyway."

It's this sort of mixed message of "we are not racists" combined with racists statements.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #13
TexasAg

How dare the Aggies not convince a black person wanting to go to Grambling St change his mind and go to A&M.

using that same philosophy....

Hey Mormons, whey didn't you convince me to go to BYU, you guys are racists. Don't you care about non-Mormons?

See how that doesn't make sense?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #14
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How dare the Aggies not convince a black person wanting to go to Grambling St change his mind and go to A&M.

Hey Mormons, whey didn't you convince me to go to BYU, you guys are racists. Don't you care about non-Mormons?

See how that doesn't make sense?
I get your point but by not convincing you to go to BYU doesnt make use racist since Mormonism is not a race.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #15
TexasAg

I know coug, but at least you got my point.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #16
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Depends - what's your 40 time?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:20 PM   #17
TexasAg

okay, BYU wouldn't want me then
Old 03-18-2008, 10:53 PM   #18
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:

It's not a very interesting point. Almost every university in America is dealing with minority admissions and ethnic diversity guidelines/objectives.

I don't know the first thing about A&M, except that people often mistake State College, PA for College Station, TX.

I do know, however, that the state of Texas has a history of institutionalized racism, from slave owners to Jim Crow laws. Mormons have a history of racist practices too, which accounts (probably) for the few numbers of African American mormons, and the small number of AA's at the BYU.

Not being an expert on either school, I'd guess both sides have some history they have to deal with regarding race.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #19
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss

Quote:
Mike, you are being laughed at on Texags.com right now. Why in the world are you on the site of a school that ALSO doesn't have a large minority group and bashing A&M for the same thing?

Please don't imply that A&M purposely maintains a culture that keeps minorities away. It is what it is, there is no master plan behind it. That is a stupid thing to say anyway. I am not going to go to Grambling St and tell them to change their culture so more whites would go there.

UT Austin is the one with racial problems in their admissions
http://www.utnotfair.org/

I have to step in here. Why is it that people look at BYU and claim that they do not have a considerable representation of minorities. This has to be one of the most common points of ignorance propagated by those who seem to be stuck in "black" think.

Last time I checked Polynesians represented a considerable percentage of the BYU student population. So much so that BYU-Hawaii campus was created, and the Polynesian Cultural Center was built. If people were more aware of the polynesian culture and the growth of this demographic within the LDS community, than it should be clear that they are indeed a bona fides minority on par with African Americans, Latinos, Asians and Native Americans.

Please pay attention to what you are saying before you say it.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #20
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

You haven't been here long enough to understand why we don't get worked up over things Mike tries to imply.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote