cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Understood. I was just speaking in general terms. I know that I'd rather be mistaken for a BYU fan than exie. Some errors in judgment are so egregious that forgiveness is impossible, ya know?
Surely, neither side is short on idiotic, embarrassing fans.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Surely, neither side is short on idiotic, embarrassing fans.
Not at all. There are far too many zoots that have showed up lately after Meyer was at Utah. The worse part is that they are still around and we're stuck with them.

The only difference between a zoot and a zoob is the color worn by the team they cheer for.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #13
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default I consider that a compliment to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Someone calling you exUte would be worse than you being called a Longhorn fan. Even BYU fans don't like him. I'd even guess that most BYU fans here would rather be compared to Ute fans than exie.
considered in the same sentence as a Longhorn. Top notch program in baseball, football, basketball.........

vs. a Ute? LOL. Oh yeah, your gymnastics team is awesome.........at least when they are competing at home.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #14
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
Maybe I'm insensitive, but that article made me laugh out loud:

"BYU’s band was doused with beer, Cougarettes were trampled, players’ wives were taunted, cheerleaders were belittled..."

Cheerleaders were belittled? Oh, the humanity!!!
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #15
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Maybe I'm insensitive, but that article made me laugh out loud:

"BYU’s band was doused with beer, Cougarettes were trampled, players’ wives were taunted, cheerleaders were belittled..."

Cheerleaders were belittled? Oh, the humanity!!!
I know. It just doesn't seem to fit with the school that has kicked the conferences butt in football that last two years.

Look, the Thomas and Mack sucks. As I have said before I actually felt like I was in a nasty hostile environment when attending the MWC Vegas Invitational. It may represent a minority of their fans, but they are there.

I have a choice though. I could whine about it or just not go. If you choose to go expect your little kids, wives, etc. to hear new words and your religion cursed. Don't whine about it, what is is.

By the way, telling the Rebel fans they can't rush the court after winning their invitational just feeds into the perception of BYU. We want it our way or we are going to cry.

I know, our way is the right way.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I know. It just doesn't seem to fit with the school that has kicked the conferences butt in football that last two years.

Look, the Thomas and Mack sucks. As I have said before I actually felt like I was in a nasty hostile environment when attending the MWC Vegas Invitational. It may represent a minority of their fans, but they are there.

I have a choice though. I could whine about it or just not go. If you choose to go expect your little kids, wives, etc. to hear new words and your religion cursed. Don't whine about it, what is is.

By the way, telling the Rebel fans they can't rush the court after winning their invitational just feeds into the perception of BYU. We want it our way or we are going to cry.

They sound like A&M fans.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #17
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
They sound like A&M fans.
I have never been to a game at A&M, so I can't say. I did visit their board and read a couple of threads. They didn't seem so bad to me.

Heck, one guy was apologizing for bringing up the South Park mormon episode.

I thought that episode was great. Especially when Gary told Stan to "kiss my balls". The giggly family is perception, kiss my balls is who I think we really are.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #18
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post

BYU will always be intensely disliked by most of the MWC. Right now they are dominating. That in an of itself would make them loathesome to many, but nobody likes being dominated by a bunch of quirky dorky mormons. Think of the perception most of these folks have of the average mormon, or religious folk period. They think they are naive, soft, geeky and out of touch with "the real world." Frequently they are right. Frequently they are wrong. But the memories they will hold onto are the ones that reinforce being right. Then to have such a dorky group be dominating is insufferable. BYU fans have issues as well. I really don't believe they are any different than other fanbases in the MWC other than the prejudicial opinions the other fanbases hold of mormons, just that over the history BYU has dominated more than other teams. Nobody likes that.

Vegas sees itself as the bad boys. Sin City if you will, so there will be many of their fans who will go out of their way to be offensive to the prude mormons. If you are a BYU fan and you don't expect it you are stupid. That doesn't justify the behavior, it just recognizes that it will be reality. Fans of other schools often behave differently towards BYU because of the desire to be offensive to a group of religious people. Most people in this world believe religious folks are judgemental and look down upon others who don't believe as they do. Often times they are right, however I believe the prejudicial opinions they hold are not indicative of the reality. People who consider themselves "cool" and dialed in to the real world love to get religious folks riled up, BYU fans are that perfect opportunity. I don't think that fans of other schools have the desire to be that offensive to the other conference foes and I am convinced that enough BYU fans give them the reaction they want to incent them to continue to act the way they do.

Finally it appears that many BYU fans don't know how to react to the behavior. People need to realize that folks don't like being pushed around by religious people, in real life or on the courts of play. When they get their chance they are going to ride that pony for all it is worth. Just ignore it.

What Holmoe did was either the stupidest thing one could do or the most brilliant. The stupidity of it is readily apparant. However, much as I thought Mendenhall had a plan for his sanctimonious fireside and religious rhetoric, I think Holmoe is building a strong case to have that tourney moved. He was bright enough to realize that BYU was likely to lose that game so I would not put it past him to develop circumstances that shed light on this being a bad situation. Fans believing they lost due to unfair circumstances, and lets face it I hate whiners but the circumstances were not fair and had a big impact on the outcome, are going to lose their cool. Can you imagine how WYO fans would react towards BYU fans mocking them as they ran through their areas to rush the court after beating them in the MC for the second straight year for the MWC tourney championship? It would get ugly.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
BYU will always be intensely disliked by most of the MWC. Right now they are dominating. That in an of itself would make them loathesome to many, but nobody likes being dominated by a bunch of quirky dorky mormons. Think of the perception most of these folks have of the average mormon, or religious folk period. They think they are naive, soft, geeky and out of touch with "the real world." Frequently they are right. Frequently they are wrong. But the memories they will hold onto are the ones that reinforce being right. Then to have such a dorky group be dominating is insufferable. BYU fans have issues as well. I really don't believe they are any different than other fanbases in the MWC other than the prejudicial opinions the other fanbases hold of mormons, just that over the history BYU has dominated more than other teams. Nobody likes that.

Vegas sees itself as the bad boys. Sin City if you will, so there will be many of their fans who will go out of their way to be offensive to the prude mormons. If you are a BYU fan and you don't expect it you are stupid. That doesn't justify the behavior, it just recognizes that it will be reality. Fans of other schools often behave differently towards BYU because of the desire to be offensive to a group of religious people. Most people in this world believe religious folks are judgemental and look down upon others who don't believe as they do. Often times they are right, however I believe the prejudicial opinions they hold are not indicative of the reality. People who consider themselves "cool" and dialed in to the real world love to get religious folks riled up, BYU fans are that perfect opportunity. I don't think that fans of other schools have the desire to be that offensive to the other conference foes and I am convinced that enough BYU fans give them the reaction they want to incent them to continue to act the way they do.

Finally it appears that many BYU fans don't know how to react to the behavior. People need to realize that folks don't like being pushed around by religious people, in real life or on the courts of play. When they get their chance they are going to ride that pony for all it is worth. Just ignore it.

What Holmoe did was either the stupidest thing one could do or the most brilliant. The stupidity of it is readily apparant. However, much as I thought Mendenhall had a plan for his sanctimonious fireside and religious rhetoric, I think Holmoe is building a strong case to have that tourney moved. He was bright enough to realize that BYU was likely to lose that game so I would not put it past him to develop circumstances that shed light on this being a bad situation. Fans believing they lost due to unfair circumstances, and lets face it I hate whiners but the circumstances were not fair and had a big impact on the outcome, are going to lose their cool. Can you imagine how WYO fans would react towards BYU fans mocking them as they ran through their areas to rush the court after beating them in the MC for the second straight year for the MWC tourney championship? It would get ugly.
So what's your take on my brief coupling with Texags.com?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #20
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So what's your take on my brief coupling with Texags.com?
I haven't gone there to read up. I was in St George for business and between meetings and swimming with the kids I had little time for the internet. Auditors in Rockland today so I am hoping to get to your texags antics this evening. The links are posted.