cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 03-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
BYU will always be intensely disliked by most of the MWC. Right now they are dominating. That in an of itself would make them loathesome to many, but nobody likes being dominated by a bunch of quirky dorky mormons. Think of the perception most of these folks have of the average mormon, or religious folk period. They think they are naive, soft, geeky and out of touch with "the real world." Frequently they are right. Frequently they are wrong. But the memories they will hold onto are the ones that reinforce being right. Then to have such a dorky group be dominating is insufferable. BYU fans have issues as well. I really don't believe they are any different than other fanbases in the MWC other than the prejudicial opinions the other fanbases hold of mormons, just that over the history BYU has dominated more than other teams. Nobody likes that.

Vegas sees itself as the bad boys. Sin City if you will, so there will be many of their fans who will go out of their way to be offensive to the prude mormons. If you are a BYU fan and you don't expect it you are stupid. That doesn't justify the behavior, it just recognizes that it will be reality. Fans of other schools often behave differently towards BYU because of the desire to be offensive to a group of religious people. Most people in this world believe religious folks are judgemental and look down upon others who don't believe as they do. Often times they are right, however I believe the prejudicial opinions they hold are not indicative of the reality. People who consider themselves "cool" and dialed in to the real world love to get religious folks riled up, BYU fans are that perfect opportunity. I don't think that fans of other schools have the desire to be that offensive to the other conference foes and I am convinced that enough BYU fans give them the reaction they want to incent them to continue to act the way they do.

Finally it appears that many BYU fans don't know how to react to the behavior. People need to realize that folks don't like being pushed around by religious people, in real life or on the courts of play. When they get their chance they are going to ride that pony for all it is worth. Just ignore it.

What Holmoe did was either the stupidest thing one could do or the most brilliant. The stupidity of it is readily apparant. However, much as I thought Mendenhall had a plan for his sanctimonious fireside and religious rhetoric, I think Holmoe is building a strong case to have that tourney moved. He was bright enough to realize that BYU was likely to lose that game so I would not put it past him to develop circumstances that shed light on this being a bad situation. Fans believing they lost due to unfair circumstances, and lets face it I hate whiners but the circumstances were not fair and had a big impact on the outcome, are going to lose their cool. Can you imagine how WYO fans would react towards BYU fans mocking them as they ran through their areas to rush the court after beating them in the MC for the second straight year for the MWC tourney championship? It would get ugly.

You may be right about Holmoe. I think pushing our weight around has pissed off a lot of people. You could almost feel it as Tim Nevrett did his piece on BYU fans overreacting. It was a one sided almost in your face opinion. The Mtn is probably tired of hearing from us as is the conference.

I have the same comment to them as I do BYU fans, what is, is, deal with it. The have nots seem to be pissed at due to jealousy, inferiority complex or whatever vs the haves. Start a thread about how great the BCS is or Notre Dame deserves their own network TV deal over on CB. Watch the reaction.

To the rest of the conference our moral superiority stand and our like it or not dominance of the conference causes some real animosity. My response is, "kiss my balls, we aren't interested in the sportsmanship trophy."
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #22
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Maybe I'm insensitive, but that article made me laugh out loud:

"BYU’s band was doused with beer, Cougarettes were trampled, players’ wives were taunted, cheerleaders were belittled..."

Cheerleaders were belittled? Oh, the humanity!!!
I loved the description of the events as "horrific." Ah, student newspapers.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I haven't gone there to read up. I was in St George for business and between meetings and swimming with the kids I had little time for the internet. Auditors in Rockland today so I am hoping to get to your texags antics this evening. The links are posted.
Yeah, it's not really possible to get the full story at this point.

In brief, I had been posting on Texags since October.

Once the matchup with BYU was announced, texags posters launched into mocking Mormons in very rude ways (including posting photshopped garments).

I started a thread examining racism in basketball and on campus at BYU and A&M. I alleged that there were aspects of racism at A&M. I got some stats wrong, so my point had its testicles ripped off. The thread was the hottest thread of the day on their basketball forum. It was deleted, and the mods said if I acted in a racist way again (what?!!!! A&M is racist, not me!), I would be banned. So I knew I would soon be banned.

I started a thread in their religion section saying I would no longer push A&M on Mormon youth as being superior to other schools in Texas for Mormon kids.

Then the next day, someone posted a couple of links from here on CG: 1) the thread where I alleged racism at A&M, but much more directly and 2) where I quoted a newspaper columnist about an A&M joke ("play with matches") and repeated what A&M posters were saying to Mormons "you are too PC if you are offended" etc.

I was immediately banned after links to these threads were posted on Texags by a Texags poster.

Hilarity ensued. Mikewaters bashing started on Texags. Including a quote that said something to the effect "It's one thing to joke about Mormonism, it's quite another to joke about the bonfire, and you know it!"

CG had the most number of guests in its history.

End result: sensitivity and what is appropriate to say about Mormons was discussed on their website more than ever before, I dare say.

Lives were changed, lessons were learned, hearts were mended.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote