cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
You need to start your own aTm board: AggieGuard.com
With all 20 intellectually honest Aggies? I already know about 5 of them, and I can just call them on the phone.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #12
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Syd Barrett, if you're reading this, I'd be happy to come on texags discuss things.

I'm not afraid to show my face and stick to my guns where I am right, and apologize where I am wrong.

Your moderators have had enough already, however.

That's a very entertaining thread. No love lost for you on that site, eh?

I did find the comment about the OC mormons quite funny however, as the first person who came to mind was DDD. Thanks for representing us so well, Triplet.

Quote:
I don't know he took the company line when challenged about the Mountain Meadows Massacre in that they were "justified"

It's pretty common group think in my experience. Living in Orange County you meet quite a few too. I find it interesting that I know more Mormon single mothers than others around here, I'm talking 21, 22 year olds.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandAggie View Post
Maybe if you did a little research you'd discover why Bonfire jokes are so hot for us Aggies. Lets say at BYU something happened that killed 12 people in 1999, when this event had never hurt anyone (nothing more than just minor injuries) in it's 100 year existance? Then people preceded to make jokes about that. You'd probably get ticked off, too.
Jokes about the people who died is offensive.

Jokes about bonfire: not very offensive.

It's a common thing to make jokes about those terrible things that we don't know how to emotionally deal with.

Jokes about starving Ethiopians. Helen Keller jokes. On and on.

I just hope you Aggies realize, that SOME of your jokes, are just as offensive as jokes about dead bodies in the bonfire rubble, to Mormons.

I apologize for repeating a bonfire joke. But I did it to make a point. That some things are offensive, and it is even more offensive when people tell you to shut up and stop being a ninny.

Are we in agreement?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandAggie View Post
Maybe if you did a little research you'd discover why Bonfire jokes are so hot for us Aggies. Lets say at BYU something happened that killed 12 people in 1999, when this event had never hurt anyone (nothing more than just minor injuries) in it's 100 year existance? Then people preceded to make jokes about that. You'd probably get ticked off, too.
Good point.....don't make light of things that other people believe to be important. Noted.

Now on another topic, did you see that catch by K.O. Kealaluhi?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Good point.....don't make light of things that other people believe to be important. Noted.

I saw that catch. Pretty impressive.

I preferred the 1990 Holiday Bowl.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #16
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

That was a terrific game. I love Garn's highlight compilation.

http://justanotherdumb.com/byu/class...UvsAnM1996.wmv
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #17
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I saw that catch. Pretty impressive.

I preferred the 1990 Holiday Bowl.

William Thomas is a ninny.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #18
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
That was a terrific game. I love Garn's highlight compilation.

http://justanotherdumb.com/byu/class...UvsAnM1996.wmv
I was at that game. We were right in the end zone seats.....but unfortunately at the complete opposite side of the stadium. Still, such an exciting ending.

The other exicting thing from that game....one of my friends brough a banana to the game. After he ate it, he threw the peel on the net behind the goal posts. On every FG attempt, the net was raised and the peel was caught hanging there about 15 feet about the ground. I think we all got a lot of run from that for about a week, telling people that our group was responsible for that banana peel. Wow, as I finished typing that, it dawned on me that I have been an idiot for a long time....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #19
PortlandAggie

PortlandAggie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Jokes about the people who died is offensive.

Jokes about bonfire: not very offensive.

It's a common thing to make jokes about those terrible things that we don't know how to emotionally deal with.

Jokes about starving Ethiopians. Helen Keller jokes. On and on.

I just hope you Aggies realize, that SOME of your jokes, are just as offensive as jokes about dead bodies in the bonfire rubble, to Mormons.

I apologize for repeating a bonfire joke. But I did it to make a point. That some things are offensive, and it is even more offensive when people tell you to shut up and stop being a ninny.

Are we in agreement?

You're right about jokes about the bonfire itself not being offensive, however, most Aggies correlate the Bonfire with those deaths. So when Aggies hear a bonfire joke, it relates back to people that died on the bonfire when it collapsed. I happened to be attending A&M when it happened, and knew one of the people who died in the accident. So, bonfire jokes don't sit well with me, either.

My best friend growing up was a mormon (we're both from Texas). I make jokes about the fact that in her freshmen year at Utah St. she was proposed to over a dozen times, most of the proposals coming on the same hill. She'd go on a date or two with a guy, and he'd propose! Come on, now THAT'S funny (and kinda ridiculous at the same time)! Heck, she lived in SLC for 2 years after college and had to move back to San Antonio beacuse it was TOO much in SLC (and she served her full mission). Those are her words exactly, too.

There's nothing truly offensive in what I just said, compared to making jokes about someone dying.
PortlandAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Wow, as I finished typing that, it dawned on me that I have been an idiot for a long time....
Welcome to the reality of having both an "X" and "Y" chromosome.

Now that you've come to this realization, life gets much simpler.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote