cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #21
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Telling stat:

Trent led the team in rebounding 1 time over the last 10 games. He averaged 4.4 rebounds per game over the last 10, JT averaged 4.2.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #22
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Lee missed two pull-up jumpers from 18 in the last two minutes of play.
He may have. He should have taken every shot. Or drove and kicked it out. 2 shots? that's it?

He is the conference player of the year.

Kerr and Paxson made the final shots.....but MJ was the one who created the opportunity.

Look at what Stanford did on Saturday...they kept pounding it in to Lopez and it finally worked.

Rose needs to communicate to his players that THEY are not to take shots in those crunch time moments. Get the ball to Lee, let him create.

TP taking that shot was a huge piece of crap.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #23
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Telling stat:

Trent led the team in rebounding 1 time over the last 10 games. He averaged 4.4 rebounds per game over the last 10, JT averaged 4.2.
Like I said at the beginning of the year. He doesn't have the heart to be a good rebounder. He is lazy.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Trent:

1. can't rebound
2. can't defend
3. can't faceup
4. can't hold position on the block

That's a pretty nice resume.

He needs a heart transplant.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 03-24-2008 at 04:50 PM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #25
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
He may have. He should have taken every shot. Or drove and kicked it out. 2 shots? that's it?

He is the conference player of the year.

Kerr and Paxson made the final shots.....but MJ was the one who created the opportunity.

Look at what Stanford did on Saturday...they kept pounding it in to Lopez and it finally worked.

Rose needs to communicate to his players that THEY are not to take shots in those crunch time moments. Get the ball to Lee, let him create.

TP taking that shot was a huge piece of crap.
I'd have preferred seeing Lee take those shots from 15 instead of 18. Still, you can't argue with the numbers - the guy shot over 60% from inside the arc this year. How can you not have him taking the bulk of the shots in the closing minutes of a game like that?

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Trent:

1. can't rebound
2. can't defend
3. can't faceup
4. can't hold position on the block

That's a pretty nice resume.
5. Can't control his wife.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 03-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #27
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I'd have preferred seeing Lee take those shots from 15 instead of 18. Still, you can't argue with the numbers - the guy shot over 60% from inside the arc this year. How can you not have him taking the bulk of the shots in the closing minutes of a game like that?
On top of that, he's a 85%+ FT shooter. Maybe if Lee would get off of the one cup of gruel a day diet made famous by Oliver! he would be have the strength/durability to mix it up close to the basket.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #28
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
On top of that, he's a 85%+ FT shooter. Maybe if Lee would get off of the one cup of gruel a day diet made famous by Oliver! he would be have the strength/durability to mix it up close to the basket.
I'd do anything to win a tourney game anything!
Would you say "the Church is true?"
--Anything
"Paint your face bright blue?"
--Anything!
"Go to Timbucktoo?"
And back again!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #29
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The two best players on the team were Cummard and Plaisted.

So, the weaknesses on the team are at the 1, 2, and 4 positions.

Fredette has proved himself a heady player and will be the starting PG next season. What he lacks in speed, he makes up for in decision making and cojones.

The real killer this season was not having a serviceable 4. A not-very-athletic Tavernari at 6'6" does not cut it. Few offensive boards, gives up offensive boards. No put backs. Big defensive liability. BYU has to have a springy athletic 4 that clean the glass on both ends, that is a stopper on the defensive end.

Burgess was our best defensive guard, and so we will need a good defender at the 2, esp. with slow-footed Fredette at the 1. A stopper who can put the ball on the floor and go to the rim and hit the open 3.

So what about a lineup as follows

1-fredette
2-cummard
3-tavernari
4-?
5-plaisted

(btw, the idea of plaisted playing the 4, when he has zero face up game is ridiculous)

If we have the above lineup, who is at the 4?

One thing I've noticed in the tourney is that ALL of the good teams are excellent on defense. BYU's defense was good, but not at the level to win games in the tourney. We need better defense.
This is the reason I wished and commented that perhaps Chris Collinsworth not going on a mission could have been a huge boon to BYU. He is the anti-Tavernari and I thought that starting CC at the 3 or 4 could have been huge for BYU. CC's shot is uhhhhh developing and as it improves he becomes pretty dynamic on offense as his ballhandling skills and athleticism are far better than most 4's BYU has. I doubt he is ever a back to basket type of player, but as pointed out BYU's offense can be successful with only 1 of those. If Collinsworth became a decent threat behind the arc he also seems far more capable and able to penetrate. Certainly his free throw shooting would have to improve but he strikes me as the type that he would improve. He doesn't appear to have mental issues other than nerves and a lack of familiarity.

But what really makes me moist for CC is the defensive versatility he would bring. Rose could put Tavernari on the opposing 3 or 4 who is less of an offensive threat. If the opposing 3 is an athletic slasher, CC covers him. If the 3 is a jumpshooter with limited athleticism, put Tav on the guy. If the 4 is athletic cover him with CC if the 4 is a post player and sationary put JT on him. There would still be matchup issues if the opponent has a good scorer at both the 3 and 4, but with Lee there are more options in how to combat that. There would be few teams that BYU will play that have serious athletes at 2-4, so somewhere there would be smaller threat to throw JT on.

But alas CC is off to do sickle thrusters.......
Old 03-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #30
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I'd do anything to win a tourney game anything!
Would you say "the Church is true?"
--Anything
"Paint your face bright blue?"
--Anything!
"Go to Timbucktoo?"
And back again!
Sung annually by NCAA selection committee to BYU:

Cheerio but be back soon,
I don't know somehow I'll miss you
I love you that's why I
say cheerio not goodbye
Don't be gone long be back soon
give me one long last god bless you
remember our old tune,
be back soon!