cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #31
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
But alas CC is off to do sickle thrusters.......
How many RMs were on the 1980-1981 Elite 8 team? That's why BYU will never get there again.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
How many RMs were on the 1980-1981 Elite 8 team? That's why BYU will never get there again.
how many Danny Ainge's are on the current team? (none)
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #33
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
how many Danny Ainge's are on the current team? (none)
If Danny Ainge had served a mission there would be no Danny Ainge. The only thing between Richie "Fivehead" Webb the pride of Menan and an induction into the College Basketball Hall of Fame was what honorable Church service in the mission field did to his crossover.

Dude can no longer compete at the Bonneville YMCA pick up games for hells sake!
Old 03-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #34
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If Danny Ainge had served a mission there would be no Danny Ainge. The only thing between Richie "Fivehead" Webb the pride of Menan and an induction into the College Basketball Hall of Fame was what honorable Church service in the mission field did to his crossover.

We used to simply refer to Richie Webb as "The man, the myth, the legend". I like Fivehead better.

On a related note, if anybody can find a pic of Webb and would be kind enough to post it on CG, it would be appreciated.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #35
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
We used to simply refer to Richie Webb as "The man, the myth, the legend". I like Fivehead better.

On a related note, if anybody can find a pic of Webb and would be kind enough to post it on CG, it would be appreciated.
IIRC, Richie was sporting a "Jeff Campbell" by the time he graduated.

http://cefcharity.org/ball_info.php
Old 03-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #36
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

The most tragic example of this is Devin Durrant. He would have been an NBA all-star. I hope his religion is happy about what it did to his career. In fact, Durrant pioneered elite athletes going on missions and wrecking their prospects. They can all listen to "I want my MTV" and weep as far as I'm concerned. Someone should have stepped up and given the kids the right advice.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #37
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is what I personally find not only hypocritical, but really taints my view of the, "I really am happy this kid went on a mission crowd."

I am neither happy nor sad. If the kid in consultation with his family and ecclesiastical leaders wants to go. More power to him and I support him. I am not happy for him. It really isn't any of my business. I can't from a far guarantee he has made the best decision for him.

However, you find many, especially over on TBS who bemoan the fact a kid was going to go on a mission, but now won't because he is in the clutches of Pete Caroll. They get giz all over themselves when some kid announces he is leaving on a mission.

Fine, what bugs me is when a kid like Ben Olson goes on a mission and aguably messes up a legitimate shot at the pro's, instead of him being endeared to the faithful for as long as he lives, if he leaves BYU for UCLA the same "missionary" fans turn on him and wish him the trials of Job over and over again. The people that do that IMHO need to take a hard look at themselves.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #38
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Here is what I personally find not only hypocritical, but really taints my view of the, "I really am happy this kid went on a mission crowd."

I am neither happy nor sad. If the kid in consultation with his family and ecclesiastical leaders wants to go. More power to him and I support him. I am not happy for him. It really isn't any of my business. I can't from a far guarantee he has made the best decision for him.

However, you find many, especially over on TBS who bemoan the fact a kid was going to go on a mission, but now won't because he is in the clutches of Pete Caroll. They get giz all over themselves when some kid announces he is leaving on a mission.

Fine, what bugs me is when a kid like Ben Olson goes on a mission and aguably messes up a legitimate shot at the pro's, instead of him being endeared to the faithful for as long as he lives, if he leaves BYU for UCLA the same "missionary" fans turn on him and wish him the trials of Job over and over again. The people that do that IMHO need to take a hard look at themselves.
I'm neither a parent, nor coach, nor ecclesiastical leader of the player. I'm a selfish fan. As such, I don't want the player to go on a mission because the odds are that it hurts the individual player and the overall program in trying to deal with the associated logistics.

I understand why Bronco et al might want to sell BYU's support and endorsement of going on missions to LDS recruits to try to differentiate themselves in the marketplace. That said, I don't believe for a second that results in better players as a whole, but it might help him land a precious few quality LDS recruits that would otherwise sign at some less supportive institution.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #39
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The most tragic example of this is Devin Durrant. He would have been an NBA all-star. I hope his religion is happy about what it did to his career. In fact, Durrant pioneered elite athletes going on missions and wrecking their prospects. They can all listen to "I want my MTV" and weep as far as I'm concerned. Someone should have stepped up and given the kids the right advice.
Britton Johnson is the one that hurts my feelings the most. He would never have been an all-star, but I think he would have had an NBA career.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #40
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Britton Johnson is the one that hurts my feelings the most. He would never have been an all-star, but I think he would have had an NBA career.

Kids like Olson, Durrant, Johnson, et. al. have to believe they wouldn't have made it anyway or that their mission has blessed them far more than any professional success they could have had.

They have to believe this on an individual basis, because you can always point to those who chose not to go on a mission and seem to have done well not only financially, but also spirituality. I point out three very successful athletes on the church fireside circuit. Young, Ainge and Murphy.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote