cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I really believed when it was announced to redshirt him that the reason was that Rose recognized he had made a huge blunder and he was telling the kid that BYU had screwed up but we would preserve his elgibility and he could transfer to a smaller division to play ball.

Perhaps he will be at BYU but I sense a role player. He will come off the bench to defend really quick pgs that are killing BYU through penetration.

Jimmer is going to start at either the 1 or the 2. Which one it is going to be will be dictated by either the playing shape Jackson Emery is in or by what BYU can attract from the JC ranks.
What exactly is Jackson Emery going to do? He's a defensive role player.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
What exactly is Jackson Emery going to do? He's a defensive role player.
My guess is play defense and hopefully hit open jumpers. I thought he was pretty decent as a true freshman.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
This is always dangerous to do, but I am about to do it--look at what he did before he got to the Y.

High School, he earned all-valley honors, and was named the team's most improved player.

Community College:
Freshman year: 3.2 points per game, 2.7 assists
Soph Year: 7.3 points per game, 4.4 assists

It lists him at 5'10" which means that he is probably 2 inches at least shorter. And it does not appear that he was recruited by anyone else. What does this mean? Who knows...but it would take a HUUUUGGGGEEEE leap to think that he is the answer to your Point Guard problems next year. Now watch--kid comes in, pulls an Allen Iverson and is a star. Problem is, nothing on his resume comes close to suggesting that.
Baffling. His numbers don't look that good and yet he was first team all league.

Maybe he can guard someone which would be a big plus for a pt. guard facing the quick point guards we come up against. I think LLoyd really helped us in games against UNM, UNLV and SDSU because of his defense. Also his ability to get the ball up the court quickly.

I will readily admit I am not BB expert. Based on my casual observations, I don't think Jimmer is athletic enough to go up against good defense point guards.

He did shine against UNLV and Texas A&M, but no one else did. What was his assist to turnover ratio.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Baffling. His numbers don't look that good and yet he was first team all league.

Maybe he can guard someone which would be a big plus for a pt. guard facing the quick point guards we come up against. I think LLoyd really helped us in games against UNM, UNLV and SDSU because of his defense. Also his ability to get the ball up the court quickly.

I will readily admit I am not BB expert. Based on my casual observations, I don't think Jimmer is athletic enough to go up against good defense point guards.

He did shine against UNLV and Texas A&M, but no one else did. What was his assist to turnover ratio.
Where I think Jimmer's main weakness is, is his defensive and lateral quickness. For example next year...Wink Adams is going to chew him up and spit him out, simply because Jimmer cannot guard him. This is where I think Lamont Morgan comes in. From what I've been told is that Morgan's best asset is his defense. That's he a very good on the ball defender and the ability to shut down opposing guards.

That is my opinion is what killed us at A&M, and killed us against UNLV. We couldn't stop anyone from penetrating for a better shot or penetrating and dishing. That was our achilles heel on defense last year. We couldn't stop ANYONE in that regard.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #15
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post

4 assists 1 turnover
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Where I think Jimmer's main weakness is, is his defensive and lateral quickness. For example next year...Wink Adams is going to chew him up and spit him out, simply because Jimmer cannot guard him. This is where I think Lamont Morgan comes in. From what I've been told is that Morgan's best asset is his defense. That's he a very good on the ball defender and the ability to shut down opposing guards.

That is my opinion is what killed us at A&M, and killed us against UNLV. We couldn't stop anyone from penetrating for a better shot or penetrating and dishing. That was our achilles heel on defense last year. We couldn't stop ANYONE in that regard.
When is the last time someone on BYU took a charge? You would think this would be something they could become good at.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #17
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
When is the last time someone on BYU took a charge? You would think this would be something they could become good at.
Plaisted was actually pretty good at it, and would take 1-2 per game,,,,other than that it's hard to think of others....
Old 03-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #18
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

I think you'll see a lot of different lineups next year.

-BYU will go big, with Miles, Trent, JT, Lee, & Jimmer all on the floor.
-BYU will go small, with Morgan/Lloyd, Jimmer, Lee, JT, & Trent on the floor.
-BYU may even go extra-small, replacing JT with another guard.

The nice thing about next year's team should be the added flexibility, having so many players that can play more than one position.

I like the O starting up with Jimmer. He may not be the one who brings the ball up the court against pressure, but I like him having the ball in the half-court offense at the top of the key, calling the plays & such.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

That big lineup might be the slowest in Div 1A basketball.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #20
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
That big lineup might be the slowest in Div 1A basketball.
I wouldn't expect them to be on the floor much against teams like UNLV...

But they could be effective situationally.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote