cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #21
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I agree with this.

Redshirting Morgan is an extremely baffling decision to me. If Morgan is awesome, we needed him this year. If he sucked, we needed to move him off scholarship ASAP. The redshirt came from left field.

At that point of the season, pg and backup pg were important spots to nail down, and I truly believe Rose went with (or at least SHOULD HAVE gone with) the best two pg's at the time. In Rose's mind, that was Murdock and Loyd. Loyd did outplay Morgan, and I believe at one point Loyd was the future pg of the program (early in the season).

Jimmer is definitely without question the pg of the future. I would be shocked if Morgan starts next year. The only possibility would be if there is no decent option at 2 (Emery/Loyd/new recruit) and Loyd and/or Morgan step up in the offseason. I would expect that to be Loyd based on the fact that Morgan sucked last fall and Loyd is younger and now more experienced.

Morgan is seriously 5'7. I saw him walking with Loyd and Loyd looked a foot taller. Morgan has no shot. Is not aggressive with the ball. He's worse than Murdock.

I expect Jimmer at the 1 and a combo of Emery/Loyd/new recruit.
More stuff on Morgan from today's DN:

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695265471,00.html
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #22
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

A "battle" for starting pg huh? So they are finally going to let the players compete for the position instead of giving it to the upperclassman. I am excited about that.
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #23
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof-Bball View Post
A "battle" for starting pg huh? So they are finally going to let the players compete for the position instead of giving it to the upperclassman. I am excited about that.
I'm not convinced the starting PG position wasn't open for competition at the start of this last year.

From what I saw early in the year, Murdock was by far the best option at point.

That certainly changed towards the end of the year, and based on what I saw at the end of the year, Jimmer looks like he'll be the most likely option at point next year.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #24
Prof-Bball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I'm not convinced the starting PG position wasn't open for competition at the start of this last year.

From what I saw early in the year, Murdock was by far the best option at point.

That certainly changed towards the end of the year, and based on what I saw at the end of the year, Jimmer looks like he'll be the most likely option at point next year.
Sorry, the above post is just a little of my left over bitterness that they didn't let Jimmer run any point in practice until after the second UNLV game(after he had already played it in the game). But truly I think the starting spots were pretty much picked during the trip to france. Do I fault the caoching staff? Not really, I think they saw chemistry and decided to go with that, but I do wish they would have given Jimmer a tryout at pg earlier in the season. But no use crying over spilled milk.

Truly I am excited for next year and the improvement I expect to see across the board. We will be more athletic, deeper, more skilled, and more experienced than a BYU team might have ever been since the ainge days. Hopefully that all equals some post season success.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #25
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Sorry, the above post is just a little of my left over bitterness that they didn't let Jimmer run any point in practice until after the second UNLV game(after he had already played it in the game). But truly I think the starting spots were pretty much picked during the trip to france. Do I fault the caoching staff? Not really, I think they saw chemistry and decided to go with that, but I do wish they would have given Jimmer a tryout at pg earlier in the season. But no use crying over spilled milk.

Truly I am excited for next year and the improvement I expect to see across the board. We will be more athletic, deeper, more skilled, and more experienced than a BYU team might have ever been since the ainge days. Hopefully that all equals some post season success.
Where will the "more athletic" come from?

I don't see more athleticism, but you know more than I.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #26
Prof-Bball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Where will the "more athletic" come from?

I don't see more athleticism, but you know more than I.
Maybe I'm wrong but I see our back court with Lloyd, Jimmer, Morgan, Abouo, Emery, Cummard, and Rose as pretty athletic. Also In our bigs, Plaisted, Miles are as an athletic duo of centers byu has had in a while. At the 4 we aren't as strong athletically but I have seen some video of this Noah Harstock. He looked a lot like Collinsworth. A little less of a motor, but a little thicker with better post moves. He also has a good mid range game.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong but I see our back court with Lloyd, Jimmer, Morgan, Abouo, Emery, Cummard, and Rose as pretty athletic. Also In our bigs, Plaisted, Miles are as an athletic duo of centers byu has had in a while. At the 4 we aren't as strong athletically but I have seen some video of this Noah Harstock. He looked a lot like Collinsworth. A little less of a motor, but a little thicker with better post moves. He also has a good mid range game.
Anderson, who is he? I don't know him, do you?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #28
Prof-Bball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Anderson, who is he? I don't know him, do you?
Anderson redshirted this year. He is sort of a project, and I wouldn't really expect him to contribute too much until his JR or SR year. His upside is good. He is decently athletic and runs the floor well. He seems to have a pretty good understanding of the game and his skill level is good for his height and length. His main problem is that he is really thin. He got overpowered by Mcgregor and Plaisted the times I saw them play last summer, but to his defense he had Just got off a mission and hadn't played ball since high school. I also heard that he got some parasites on his mission and that he was having a hard time putting on weight. Hopefully they have that under control now. He will be a freshman this year and I see him as more of a center and not so much of a power forward, though I did see him hit a few 10-15 ft jumpers in scrimmages.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #29
Spaz

Quote:

Fair enough. And entirely possible. Jimmer was pretty raw early in the year - made a lot of Frosh mistakes, so I doubt he would have been the starting PG this year anyway.

Based on end-of-year performance, he certainly deserved consideration for the spot at the end of the year.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 03-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #30
Spaz

Quote:
Hartsock could be very good. I'm really hoping he comes back in shape and can play next year.