cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 04-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The view from Memphis

Lots of people running around in Memphis Tigers gear as well as sporting those car window flags (has that caught on out there in the west?) on their vehicles. Also a lot of talk of not getting the proper respect from the national media as well as from the larger conferences. Every slight is noted.

This is really a big thing for Memphis, a town that suffers from a significant inferiority complex. Racial tension, crime, horrible local leadership (the current mayor wants to resign to become chairman of the school board because it pays more), horrible local government (Shelby County alone projects a larger budget deficit than the State of Tennessee), et al combine to sustain a "we are a bunch of losers" image many people feel overhangs the city. Just last week the local percentage ownership in the Grizzlies decreased from 30 to 6 percent because the franchise is bleeding money (might be the worst run team in the league).

So going to the final four is a great boost and Calipari is a god here. If they don't win, these folks are going to take it hard. The suspencion of back up point guard Andre Allen is the talk of the town today, kind of a "what did we expect" bad omen. Not that Allen's absence will affect on-the-court team performance that much, just a "well, that's par for the course" response.

No matter what happens, this should be fun to watch.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope UCLA beats down those whiny, crying gangster thugs big time.

I guess they are the ones who will pull out the cliche about nobody in the world giving them a chance to win, it was them against the world. (Ignore the fact that they are a one seed, of course).
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Michael Heisley...owner of the Grizzlies is hands down one of the worst owners in professional sports.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road
Default Is this one of those "It's a Memphis thing, you wouldn't understand" things?

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...yers_have_long
Old 04-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

The best part about Calipari playing the no respect card is the fact that they are not only a one seed but the second ranked 1 seed behind UNC. They also are favored over UCLA right now.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I hope UCLA beats down those whiny, crying gangster thugs big time.
I'm torn. All the hoopla and whining makes me hope they lose. But so many good people I know are so into this and the area could really use a boost that I'd like to see them win.

We don't need you Mississippi people bringing us down. You're already suing us over water rights.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
The best part about Calipari playing the no respect card is the fact that they are not only a one seed but the second ranked 1 seed behind UNC. They also are favored over UCLA right now.
Something Bryant Gumbel said disrespecting the Tigers was referenced this morning Could that be an omen?

Old 04-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

To play Devil's Advocate for a minute........They've been told all year because of the Conference they play in that they're overated.

If BYU crashes the BCS in the next season or two, we'll hear the same thing and BYU fans will use the lack of respect card as well.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

I hope they lose, and solely due to poor free-throw shooting, in the vain hope that it encourages kids in the future to work on their free-throws....

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I am a Tiger by marriage and am looking forward to Saturday's game. (Even though I don't normally care about basketball.)