cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #11
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Trent is a great athlete, perhaps better in perception than reality because there is what one might call a paucity of athletic BYU big men. However, he isn't a great basketball player and his athleticism will be neutralized in the NBA by better athletes.

I want the guy to succeed as a pro and I think he will...just not in the NBA. My guess is that he knows that and will bolt to Europe to play pro. I bet he concludes that he is not NBA material and another year at BYU isn't going to get him any closer. However, he is ready for Europe now and since that is his future, no reason to stay another year at BYU. It won't make him any more money.
I just have to wonder if at some point someone got to him and convinced him that a year of NBA coaching would be better than another year of college coaching.

I've posted this question before to the number of Jazz fans we have on this board:

Would you rather have Fesenko (a project with a year in the NBDL) or a senior in college? (Plaisted, Padget, Nevill, Hansburough, whoever).

Even if Plaisted were to get drafted and sent to the NBDL, there has to be some thought that coaching at the next level would be better for him than what he is currently getting at BYU.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #12
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Personally, I think the blue-tinted glasses are having an unusual effect on many BYU fans. Instead of seeing Trent surrounded by a halo of light, like many of us view Collie & Hall, for example, the opposite effect is in play with Trent.

When an NBA scout comes out & says Trent has no chance of playing in the NBA, I'll believe it. Until then, I'll continue to ignore the average wanna-be basketball guru BYU fan.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

To announce it while not hiring an agent I think is a wise move on his part.

I think he knows he still has work to do, and will feel out the process and return.

Bank on it.

In fact, I've a very solid source I talked to this morning, that it's a feeling out process more than anything and that he'll be shocked if Trent doesn't withdraw his name near the end of the process.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #14
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
To announce it while not hiring an agent I think is a wise move on his part.

I think he knows he still has work to do, and will feel out the process and return.

Bank on it.

In fact, I've a very solid source I talked to this morning, that it's a feeling out process more than anything and that he'll be shocked if Trent doesn't withdraw his name near the end of the process.
How does him going to Europe work? I agree with respect to him going into the NBA. However, with respect to Europe isn't he basically a free agent and any team could offer him a contract and if he likes it he is gone? Under that scenario he has all spring and summer to pick out a deal he likes.

I think he bolts to Europe this year.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How does him going to Europe work? I agree with respect to him going into the NBA. However, with respect to Europe isn't he basically a free agent and any team could offer him a contract and if he likes it he is gone? Under that scenario he has all spring and summer to pick out a deal he likes.

I know Idahoans aren't all up to speed on this.

To go to Europe:
1. obtain a contract with a European team
2. get your passport
3. get your visa
4. pack your crap
5. buy a plane ticket
6. make arrangements for shelter in europe
7. fly over

that's as far as I know
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I just don't know if he can get any better with another year at BYU. Mike made a great point about his progression the last three years - it just hasn't been much or at least not as much as it probably should have been.

It would be a smart move on his part to play ball overseas. The kid can make a very nice living by playing ball in Europe and if he makes wise investments with that money, he'll be set for life.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #17
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I just don't know if he can get any better with another year at BYU. Mike made a great point about his progression the last three years - it just hasn't been much or at least not as much as it probably should have been.

It would be a smart move on his part to play ball overseas. The kid can make a very nice living by playing ball in Europe and if he makes wise investments with that money, he'll be set for life.
I disagree with the nature of Trent's progression over the last three years. Much of the perceived lack of progression is based on incorrect analysis.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 04-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #18
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

What's his competition this year vs. perceived competition next year? The draft is all about who you're up against, not necessarily who you are.

Is there an angle here in that the field is thinner this year?
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I disagree with the nature of Trent's progression over the last three years. Much of the perceived lack of progression is based on incorrect analysis.
During his freshman year, a lot of us thought "this kid could really play in the NBA."

Now after his junior year, many of us cannot see him playing in the NBA, because he doesn't fill a role. He's not a good defender or rebounder. And he has an extremely limited offensive repertoire that will be even less effective in the NBA.

Imagine Plaisted against Garnett, Duncan, or Boozer.

Those of you that follow the NBA closely, is there any 4 that gets playing time in the NBA that plaisted would be better than?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #20
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
During his freshman year, a lot of us thought "this kid could really play in the NBA."

Now after his junior year, many of us cannot see him playing in the NBA, because he doesn't fill a role. He's not a good defender or rebounder. And he has an extremely limited offensive repertoire that will be even less effective in the NBA.

Imagine Plaisted against Garnett, Duncan, or Boozer.

Those of you that follow the NBA closely, is there any 4 that gets playing time in the NBA that plaisted would be better than?
IMO, a lot of the 'he's not a good defender or rebounder', and the 'he can't compete with NBA players' rhetoric comes from people who have an incorrect understanding of his talents.

I'm not saying he'll be a start in the NBA, or that he'll even get so much as a minute of pt.

I'm simply saying that, for the most part, I trust the majority of the anti-Plaisted-ite's judgement on his NBA-worthiness about as much as I trust the average terrorist.