cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2008, 03:11 AM   #31
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
What is the over under for how long it will take before he is playing in Greece?
He'd be doing well to play in Greece. God forbid he ends up in Turkey.

Why do folks think he is off to Europe this year? Just a hunch?

He declares for the NBA, feels the water (the water already has Love out of UCLA and those twins from Stanford, as well as any number of seniors that can kick his butt--Joey Dorsey out of Memphis comes to mind), decides he might as well stay at BYU another year; at least that's what I think happens.

I suppose he could go off to Europe, but he can't shoot outside of 10 feet. Also, I doubt his wife is going to want to spend too much time in the places he'll end up playing.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #32
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I certainly am not an expert analyst when it comes to hoops. I just call it as I see it and only as I see it. My criticism of him is that he gets pushed off the blocks by players who have no business pushing him off the blocks and that he is much too dependent on going to his left. He needs to be much more ambidextrous if he wants to get better - and not in the Goatnapper sense of ambidexterity.
I believe he needs to get stronger in the lower-body - or improve his technique to increase leverage - as well. He does seem to get pushed off the block too easily.

On the other hand, you also have the fans who are blinded by their own prejudices against him, as made obvious by this doozie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Joe Darger pushed Trent off the block with ease. Case closed.
What is (either willfully or not) ignored in this statement is the fact that the UNLV guards were pressuring the ball, causing the guards to run the offense five feet further out than they want to.

When the guard is five feet further out, Trent HAS to come out from the block as well in order to receive the entry pass. In other words, Joe Darger was not 'pushing Trent off the block' so much as Trent was moving off the block intentionally. I would think a BYU fan, supportive of one of the best bball players on the team, would recognize that and defend the man. Instead, the opposite occurs.

I truly don't understand some BYU fans.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Joe Darger was pushing him off the block. Sorry, but you don't post up 15 feet from the basket. Only in Spaz world do you do this.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #34
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Joe Darger was pushing him off the block. Sorry, but you don't post up 15 feet from the basket. Only in Spaz world do you do this.
Blah blah blah, let's try to make a lame play on Spaz' callsign, blah blah blah.

If you watch the game, you'll notice Trent is SETTING UP on the block. When the guard picks up his dribble, Trent moves out WILLINGLY about midway between the block & the 3-point line. He's not getting pushed out there - he's moving there to shorten the distance of the pass.

I suppose you'd prefer the guards were throwing 20-foot bounce passes to Trent on the block, getting them picked off every time.

Does Trent get pushed off the block on occasion that game? Sure. But most of the entry passes were where Trent is moving out of the block because the guards can't run the offense at the three-point line.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 04-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Blah blah blah, let's try to make a lame play on Spaz' callsign, blah blah blah.

If you watch the game, you'll notice Trent is SETTING UP on the block. When the guard picks up his dribble, Trent moves out WILLINGLY about midway between the block & the 3-point line. He's not getting pushed out there - he's moving there to shorten the distance of the pass.

I suppose you'd prefer the guards were throwing 20-foot bounce passes to Trent on the block, getting them picked off every time.

Does Trent get pushed off the block on occasion that game? Sure. But most of the entry passes were where Trent is moving out of the block because the guards can't run the offense at the three-point line.
This argument is so stupid, that Trent chooses to post up 15 feet from the basket, so the passer, who is 5 feet outside the 3 point line, can throw the ball a mere 10 feet. You realize that 10 feet is about 3 meters? Do you play basketball? Can you pass the ball into the post from a distance more than 10 feet? LOL. I'm not going to comment further.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #36
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This argument is so stupid, that Trent chooses to post up 15 feet from the basket, so the passer, who is 5 feet outside the 3 point line, can throw the ball a mere 10 feet. You realize that 10 feet is about 3 meters? Do you play basketball? Can you pass the ball into the post from a distance more than 10 feet? LOL. I'm not going to comment further.
Until BYU has more guys cut to the basket, it makes no sense for Trent to post that high up. Otherwise, it's just killing the spacing on that side of the floor and puts Trent out of position to use his most effective offensive moves.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Until BYU has more guys cut to the basket, it makes no sense for Trent to post that high up. Otherwise, it's just killing the spacing on that side of the floor and puts Trent out of position to use his most effective offensive moves.
you could have just said "I agree with Mike, and don't agree with Spaz."
Old 04-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #38
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
you could have just said "I agree with Mike, and don't agree with Spaz."
Why would I want to say that I agree with you? Like that would actually bolster my point?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #39
Spaz

Quote:
10-12 feet, if Trent is posting at 14 feet and the guards are having to pick up their dribble at 25 feet.

However, if the guard picks his dribble up at 25 feet, and Trent is posting at 5 feet, you're going to be throwing a pass 20 feet, into the post, against D-1 athletes. If you really think that pass isn't going to get knocked away more often than not, you're simply expounding on your ignorance.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #40
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
To announce it while not hiring an agent I think is a wise move on his part.

I think he knows he still has work to do, and will feel out the process and return.

Bank on it.

In fact, I've a very solid source I talked to this morning, that it's a feeling out process more than anything and that he'll be shocked if Trent doesn't withdraw his name near the end of the process.
Jaycee Carroll did that.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote