cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I love Travis Hansen

but if he plays for the Ruskies in the Olympics, he might be dead to me.

WOLVERINES!

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...272988,00.html
Old 04-24-2008, 12:56 AM   #2
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
but if he plays for the Ruskies in the Olympics, he might be dead to me.
I'd be fine with it after they (i) shoot the refs of the '72 Olympics Gold Medal game, (ii) take away the Golds that were given to the Russkies, and (iii) hand them to the American team. I understand the Silver Medals are still kept in a vault, unclaimed by the Americans. The Russkies can have them.

Other than that, let bygones be bygones.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:51 AM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Chance to play with AK and get a medal? But it says he would have to cut his Lake Powell trip short. That might be a deal-breaker right there.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:17 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Kind of funny, anyone who grew up in the 80's or earlier immediately feels a "how could you possibly do that?" response from their gut. After a couple of seconds I realized what a non-issue it really is but I guess old prejudices die hard.

I was trying to explain to my son that Russia was once as hated as Bin Laden but much more feared because they were just as powerful militarily as we were. He just couldn't grasp that Russia could every have been scary.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:27 AM   #5
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Kind of funny, anyone who grew up in the 80's or earlier immediately feels a "how could you possibly do that?" response from their gut. After a couple of seconds I realized what a non-issue it really is but I guess old prejudices die hard.

I was trying to explain to my son that Russia was once as hated as Bin Laden but much more feared because they were just as powerful militarily as we were. He just couldn't grasp that Russia could every have been scary.
When I was in Bosnia in a decade ago my unit had to do a patrol with the Ruskies. I was hoping for the Rhythmic dancing team, but alas some drunken, unshaven, unkempt sloppy soldiers driving nearly broken down BTR-60's showed up. My two senior NCO's were full of angst for this assignment as both had grown up in the Cavalry in the mid-late 80's doing the old Border Tours in West Germany along the Iron Curtain. The first one looked at the broken Ruskie unit and just told them "I can't believe I was ever scared of you broken down mutherf*&^ers." We went on the patrol and I learned that the A-10 Warthog has a tighter turning radius than the BTR-60. We took one curve and the Ruskie vehicle picked up some Yak's Yugo and dragged about a quarter of a mile before I got a US hummer in front of him and got him stopped. The poor Yak was still in the drivers seat.

Later we busted that same Russian unit when they, along with the Russian commanding General in Bosnia, were smuggling cognac and cigarettes into the country to sell on the black market.

It is too bad we didn't just bust through and kick their ass in the 80's. MAD be damned we were better and could have proven it!

WOLVERINES!
Old 04-24-2008, 02:57 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

He ain't gonna be happy when mama is car-jacked.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:37 AM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
When I was in Bosnia in a decade ago my unit had to do a patrol with the Ruskies. I was hoping for the Rhythmic dancing team, but alas some drunken, unshaven, unkempt sloppy soldiers driving nearly broken down BTR-60's showed up. My two senior NCO's were full of angst for this assignment as both had grown up in the Cavalry in the mid-late 80's doing the old Border Tours in West Germany along the Iron Curtain. The first one looked at the broken Ruskie unit and just told them "I can't believe I was ever scared of you broken down mutherf*&^ers." We went on the patrol and I learned that the A-10 Warthog has a tighter turning radius than the BTR-60. We took one curve and the Ruskie vehicle picked up some Yak's Yugo and dragged about a quarter of a mile before I got a US hummer in front of him and got him stopped. The poor Yak was still in the drivers seat.

Later we busted that same Russian unit when they, along with the Russian commanding General in Bosnia, were smuggling cognac and cigarettes into the country to sell on the black market.

It is too bad we didn't just bust through and kick their ass in the 80's. MAD be damned we were better and could have proven it!

WOLVERINES!
You're like a walking Tom Clancy novel.

Ronald Reagan was a great president.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:19 AM   #8
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:

WOLVERINES!
My next door neighbor is a Ruskie, fought in Afghanistan in the 80's. Great guy. Anyway, he basically echoes your NCO's sentiment. Of course at the time, he didn't know it, but now he realizes the Americans would have severly kicked some Soviet ass.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Back to the origins of this thread....I'd find it extremely difficult to play and represent another country other than the good ole USA.

Served my mission in England, and though I love those people and country...that is the closest thing I would consider as my "second home" but still would have mixed feelings about representing their country over my own.

It will be interesting to see what he does.

I always thought that the United States did not recognize dual citizenship...and would not allow you to retain your American citizenship should you recognize another?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #10
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We went on the patrol and I learned that the A-10 Warthog has a tighter turning radius than the BTR-60.
That cracked me up.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote