cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 04-24-2008, 07:35 PM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
When I was in Bosnia in a decade ago my unit had to do a patrol with the Ruskies. I was hoping for the Rhythmic dancing team, but alas some drunken, unshaven, unkempt sloppy soldiers driving nearly broken down BTR-60's showed up. My two senior NCO's were full of angst for this assignment as both had grown up in the Cavalry in the mid-late 80's doing the old Border Tours in West Germany along the Iron Curtain. The first one looked at the broken Ruskie unit and just told them "I can't believe I was ever scared of you broken down mutherf*&^ers." We went on the patrol and I learned that the A-10 Warthog has a tighter turning radius than the BTR-60. We took one curve and the Ruskie vehicle picked up some Yak's Yugo and dragged about a quarter of a mile before I got a US hummer in front of him and got him stopped. The poor Yak was still in the drivers seat.

Later we busted that same Russian unit when they, along with the Russian commanding General in Bosnia, were smuggling cognac and cigarettes into the country to sell on the black market.

It is too bad we didn't just bust through and kick their ass in the 80's. MAD be damned we were better and could have proven it!

WOLVERINES!
I wish you would tell us more of these stories. A weekly posting of "The Adventures of Goatnapper" would make this the 2nd greatest website on the net.

BTW, as Skyler gets older, he is more and more interested in West Point. I use that as a reason to demand he get good grades. How much pull do you have? Surely, your moniker must have made you some sort of demigod.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #22
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He is helping orphans? Good. Now I like him. But he is still basketball failure.
A basketball failure based on what standard? Was he supposed to be the next Michael Jordan?
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #23
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
ah, if only basketball success and glory was based on money....

He will be remembered as a wasted pick for a bad franchise.
Excuse me? Please. He was a second round pick. You must not follow the NBA draft very much. Second round picks not only almost never become stars, but the vast majority never see any time on an NBA roster.

Last edited by BlueK; 04-24-2008 at 08:47 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #24
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
A basketball failure based on what standard? Was he supposed to be the next Michael Jordan?
Mike has the apparent opinion that any BYU basketball player who does not end up being one of the best ever is a failure.

As I understand it, several NBA teams have expressed interest in bringing Travis on. He hasn't returned the interest. And really, why should he? He gets to be a star, and make more money, and be a hero figure, where he'd be a bench player in the NBA...

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:16 PM   #25
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Mike has the apparent opinion that any BYU basketball player who does not end up being one of the best ever is a failure.

As I understand it, several NBA teams have expressed interest in bringing Travis on. He hasn't returned the interest. And really, why should he? He gets to be a star, and make more money, and be a hero figure, where he'd be a bench player in the NBA...
Anybody know what kind of salary he is pulling down?
Old 04-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #26
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Anybody know what kind of salary he is pulling down?
About 2 million per year. As well as his housing, two cars, nanny and plane tickets paid for.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:22 PM   #27
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
About 2 million per year. As well as his housing, two cars, nanny and plane tickets paid for.
I hope he is paid in Euros. If so, he's not only a pretty good B-ball player, but a financial genius.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #28
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Wow. I would love to be a failure like that.

Good for him. I always liked Travis.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Look at the Jazz salaries. They pay nothing.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/utah.htm

Then look at the Knicks:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

Star in Russia? How much cache does that hold?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I hope he is paid in Euros. If so, he's not only a pretty good B-ball player, but a financial genius.
actually I think he is paid in rubles.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote