cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This is typical. In "Wilt" Chamberlain describes the typical uninformed fan's bigotry against taller playes. See also, Stockton and Malone.
Wilt said "No one roots for Goliath." TP was tall but he was no Wilt/Goliath.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #12
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

What are the rules on an underclassmen that makes himself available to the draft but doesn't sign with agent? Does he have to go pro if he is drafted? Does it matter if he is first or second round?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #13
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
What are the rules on an underclassmen that makes himself available to the draft but doesn't sign with agent? Does he have to go pro if he is drafted? Does it matter if he is first or second round?
I think there is a point of no return just prior to the draft but after the draft camps and workouts.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As long as the player doesn't sign with an agent, he can return to school.

If he's drafted in the first round, he has a guaranteed contract. No guarantee for a 2nd rounder.

I may be wrong, but this is my understanding.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #15
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If they declare, but do not hire an agent, they can return to school. Something similar happened with Larry Bird... he was actually drafted by the Celtics in 1978, played his last year at Indiana State, and then went on to Boston starting in 1979.

If they are drafted, agent or not, their rights are owned by the team that picked them for a certain period of time.

As Il Pad said, 1st rounders have a guaranteed contract. 2nd rounders do not.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought that there is a do or die date right before the draft.

Once the draft arrives, agent or not, you lose your eligibility.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:57 AM   #17
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I thought that there is a do or die date right before the draft.

Once the draft arrives, agent or not, you lose your eligibility.
Someone please weigh in who knows for sure. My understanding was that if they go in the draft and are drafted, they're no longer eligible for college. But if they go undrafted, they can go back. But I don't know. I also thought maybe there was a difference in 1st round and 2nd round, i.e. picked in 1st round, you have to go, picked in 2nd round, you can not sign with the team and go back to college. I'm pretty sure things have changed since Larry Bird, though.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:12 AM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Someone please weigh in who knows for sure. My understanding was that if they go in the draft and are drafted, they're no longer eligible for college. But if they go undrafted, they can go back. But I don't know. I also thought maybe there was a difference in 1st round and 2nd round, i.e. picked in 1st round, you have to go, picked in 2nd round, you can not sign with the team and go back to college. I'm pretty sure things have changed since Larry Bird, though.
I'm very sure you are wrong. Try to name one player who came back after a draft. Because there is no one.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:20 AM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Actually I believe I am wrong.

Quote:
12.2.4.2.1 Exception—Professional Basketball Draft—Four-Year College Student-Athlete.
An enrolled student-athlete in basketball may enter a professional league’s draft one time during his or her
collegiate career without jeopardizing eligibility in that sport, provided the student-athlete is not drafted
by any team in that league and the student-athlete declares his or her intention to resume intercollegiate
participation within 30 days after the draft. The student-athlete’s declaration of intent shall be in writing to
the institution’s director of athletics. (Adopted: 1/11/94; Revised: 1/10/95,1/14/97 effective 4/16/97, 4/24/03
effective 8/1/03 for student-athletes entering a collegiate institution on or after 8/1/03)
Old 05-15-2008, 08:19 AM   #20
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

When they first made the rule that you could come back to college if you didn't hire an agent, you could go through the draft and then go back to school. The team that drafted you would retain your rights. They changed the rule a few years ago, so that you had to withdraw before the draft if you wanted to return to school.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote