cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It appears that even with Trent leaving

Rose recruited nobody else for next year for BYU. Perhaps he is hoping for a good transfer, we shall see.

It appears that next years roster will be:
Fredette -SO
Lloyd - SO (RS?)
Morgan RS JR
Emery SO (RS?)
Cummard SR
Abuou FR (RS?)
Tavernari JR - Go pro after next year to Dallas Mavericks and become Mike Waters HT?
Hartstock FR (RS?)
Miles JR
MacGregor SR? Poss Med Redshirt (Wish his last name was McKrevitz and his first Phillip)
Anderson RS FR
Rose SR

I think that either Emery, Abuou or Michael Lloyd will redshirt. Today, I choose Lloyd to be the guy. After making that decision, I guess the debate that will rage is what position does Jimmer play? I thought that Rose would recruit a JC guard and what position that dude played would dictate where Jimmer was to play. Rose didn't heed my advice and I guess the question is better answered by figuring out if Jackson Emery is a better 2 than Lamont Morgan is a 1. My guess is that there is no way in hell a kid on his first year back from a mission will start. So I am going with this as my starting lineup:

1: Lamont Morgan
2: Jimmer Fredette
3: Lee Cummard
4: JTav
5: Chris Miles

I think we see Jackson Emery, MacGregor, Harstock and Anderson principally off the bench. Jimmer is going to play the second most minutes next year after Cummard. I bet Fredette sees about 32 mpg split between 1 and 2. Cummard will play about 34 mpg. My guess is Morgan will see about 24 mpg. Jackson Emery will play about 20 and I think we will see Tavernari get some minutes at the 3 this year with BYU playing Harstock and Anderson at the 4 - especially Hartstock. I think this will be about the time breakdown:

Cummard - 34
Fredette - 32
Tavernari, Miles - 28
Morgan - 24
Emery - 20
Hartstock - 15
MacGregor - 12
Anderson - 7

If Emery can go more than 20 mpg, I see him getting closer to 24 mpg in conference and Anderson getting fewer and fewer minutes. I really think BYU moves toward an 8 man rotation this year with those eight being the starters and then Emery, MacGregor and Harstock off the bench. Abuou will be the emergency perimeter player and Anderson the emergency guy in the post.

Will the team be better next year? I think Fredette will be the most improved player. Emery will not be 1/5 the player Jimmer was off the bench offensively, but even as an RM I think Jackson will D up better. However, when BYU has both Emery and Lamont Morgan on the court at the same time, BYU will struggle to score. I think Tavernari will be moderately improved. Cummard will be the best player in the conference. I expect Miles to be the second most improved player. I am really interested to see if he can step up and force teams to respect him in the post. In fact, obviously, I believe it will come down to Miles' improvement that will dictate how good BYU will be next year. I see MacGregor off the bench as no different than Miles was last year. Hartstock is an enigma as compared to Collinsworth. My guess is that Harstock is more skilled but not the athlete. Harstock also has been away from the game for a couple of years and will have RMitis. I am probably overestimating what his contribution will be if I expect him to play 15 mpg.

In the end I think the club will be about as good as it has been the past two years, but I think UNLV will be the best team in the MWC. UNLV, BYU and probably one other MWC team (either Utah or UNM) are likely to make the NCAA. I think the MWC will win 3 NCAA Tourney games next year, UNLV will make the sweet 16 and BYU will make the 2nd round.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU will barely get in, be a lower seed in the 1st round of the NCAA and they will lose again.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 06-03-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
BYU will barely get int, be a lower seed in the 1st round of the NCAA and they will lose again.
ding-ding.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Rose recruited nobody else for next year for BYU. Perhaps he is hoping for a good transfer, we shall see.

It appears that next years roster will be:
Fredette -SO
Lloyd - SO (RS?)
Morgan RS JR
Emery SO (RS?)
Cummard SR
Abuou FR (RS?)
Tavernari JR - Go pro after next year to Dallas Mavericks and become Mike Waters HT?
Hartstock FR (RS?)
Miles JR
MacGregor SR? Poss Med Redshirt (Wish his last name was McKrevitz and his first Phillip)
Anderson RS FR
Rose SR

I think that either Emery, Abuou or Michael Lloyd will redshirt. Today, I choose Lloyd to be the guy. After making that decision, I guess the debate that will rage is what position does Jimmer play? I thought that Rose would recruit a JC guard and what position that dude played would dictate where Jimmer was to play. Rose didn't heed my advice and I guess the question is better answered by figuring out if Jackson Emery is a better 2 than Lamont Morgan is a 1. My guess is that there is no way in hell a kid on his first year back from a mission will start. So I am going with this as my starting lineup:

1: Lamont Morgan
2: Jimmer Fredette
3: Lee Cummard
4: JTav
5: Chris Miles

I think we see Jackson Emery, MacGregor, Harstock and Anderson principally off the bench. Jimmer is going to play the second most minutes next year after Cummard. I bet Fredette sees about 32 mpg split between 1 and 2. Cummard will play about 34 mpg. My guess is Morgan will see about 24 mpg. Jackson Emery will play about 20 and I think we will see Tavernari get some minutes at the 3 this year with BYU playing Harstock and Anderson at the 4 - especially Hartstock. I think this will be about the time breakdown:

Cummard - 34
Fredette - 32
Tavernari, Miles - 28
Morgan - 24
Emery - 20
Hartstock - 15
MacGregor - 12
Anderson - 7

If Emery can go more than 20 mpg, I see him getting closer to 24 mpg in conference and Anderson getting fewer and fewer minutes. I really think BYU moves toward an 8 man rotation this year with those eight being the starters and then Emery, MacGregor and Harstock off the bench. Abuou will be the emergency perimeter player and Anderson the emergency guy in the post.

Will the team be better next year? I think Fredette will be the most improved player. Emery will not be 1/5 the player Jimmer was off the bench offensively, but even as an RM I think Jackson will D up better. However, when BYU has both Emery and Lamont Morgan on the court at the same time, BYU will struggle to score. I think Tavernari will be moderately improved. Cummard will be the best player in the conference. I expect Miles to be the second most improved player. I am really interested to see if he can step up and force teams to respect him in the post. In fact, obviously, I believe it will come down to Miles' improvement that will dictate how good BYU will be next year. I see MacGregor off the bench as no different than Miles was last year. Hartstock is an enigma as compared to Collinsworth. My guess is that Harstock is more skilled but not the athlete. Harstock also has been away from the game for a couple of years and will have RMitis. I am probably overestimating what his contribution will be if I expect him to play 15 mpg.

In the end I think the club will be about as good as it has been the past two years, but I think UNLV will be the best team in the MWC. UNLV, BYU and probably one other MWC team (either Utah or UNM) are likely to make the NCAA. I think the MWC will win 3 NCAA Tourney games next year, UNLV will make the sweet 16 and BYU will make the 2nd round.
I have no idea what Harstock and Abou will offer, so those two are the big question marks for me. College BB is a game frosh came make an immediate impact. I'm assuming Harstock compared to Collinsworth is not as tough defensively or on the boards but more skilled offensively. I'm assuming Abou is not polished enough yet offensively to contribute much.

I see the 3-4-5 picture as more clear. Cummard, JT, Miles all getting a lot of minutes with MacGregor backing up Miles and Harstock backing up JT and maybe Cummard with one of the guards also backing up Cummard.

The guards, who knows. It could go a lot of directions. My gut is that Rose made his decision that Jimmer was the point guard of BYU future the last ten games of the season. This leaves Morgan out on his ear and Loyd and Emery battling for the starting job at the 2, which I see Loyd winning out at least initially, due to mission rust.

A lot depends on Miles.

A lot depends on the non-Jimmer guard position.

The nucleus of Lee-JT-Jimmer is good enough to make a run at the MWC.

No way we're better than we were last year, but due to undying optimism and the concept of randomness, I believe we will get that elusive tourney win...OK not next year but soon.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
BYU will barely get in, be a lower seed in the 1st round of the NCAA and they will lose again.
In other words the NCAA is gonna screw us!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I have no idea what Harstock and Abou will offer, so those two are the big question marks for me. College BB is a game frosh came make an immediate impact. I'm assuming Harstock compared to Collinsworth is not as tough defensively or on the boards but more skilled offensively. I'm assuming Abou is not polished enough yet offensively to contribute much.

I see the 3-4-5 picture as more clear. Cummard, JT, Miles all getting a lot of minutes with MacGregor backing up Miles and Harstock backing up JT and maybe Cummard with one of the guards also backing up Cummard.

The guards, who knows. It could go a lot of directions. My gut is that Rose made his decision that Jimmer was the point guard of BYU future the last ten games of the season. This leaves Morgan out on his ear and Loyd and Emery battling for the starting job at the 2, which I see Loyd winning out at least initially, due to mission rust.

A lot depends on Miles.

A lot depends on the non-Jimmer guard position.

The nucleus of Lee-JT-Jimmer is good enough to make a run at the MWC.

No way we're better than we were last year, but due to undying optimism and the concept of randomness, I believe we will get that elusive tourney win...OK not next year but soon.

I think you hit it pretty much on the head. There are alot of unknowns on this team.

I think this team is built better for post season success. Our guards are more athletic than last year. We will also be a better FT shooting team with Plaisted gone, especially down the stretch, with our go to guys being Lee, JT, and Jimmer.

On the flip side, we are used to depending on our big guy to get other guys open looks. I dont see many people doubling miles this next year. We are going to definatley have to rely more on dribble penetration than we did last year.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. Coach Rose has a tough job this next year.
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Prof, how come Rose hasn't had more success recruiting?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
What do you mean? In general? This off season?
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Success would require the effort. For whatever reason he seems to me to have chosen not to recruit anyone for next year.

Overall, he has been a pretty good recruiter given BYU's limitations.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Will Pinegar make the team?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote