cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
who would choose Utah for academic reasons?
Those who have mastered Westminster College and are looking for a NEW challenge!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
are non-athletic and non-academic. Can we all agree on that? In reality, almost no high school grad chooses BYU for purely academic reasons.
Isn't that true for all non-Stanford students who are offered scholies to play at Stanford?

If it's academics alone, then nobody should select any other school over Stanford, but plenty make that choice.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #13
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
are non-athletic and non-academic. Can we all agree on that? In reality, almost no high school grad chooses BYU for purely academic reasons.
Stanford basketball hasn't exactly been tearing it up recently.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #14
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
who would choose Utah for academic reasons?
I think the University of Utah offers a unique academic perspective that would be attractive to a guy like you. It would be a place where the LDS Church would be prevalent with some diversified opinions on the subject. I would think a believing mormon who likes a little banter and open analysis of the LDS faith would enjoy Utah. It is also a more classical academic method than BYU's.

I think BYU offers a different academic opportunity. The student body is very capable and from my experience a capable student body is one of the biggest ingredients of a good education, it fosters competition and peer learning. Where I went to school has, IMO, a very similar model as BYU's and I thought it was a great experience. It is also the only place a mormon could get a secular education in an environment structured around totally supporting LDS goals. To some that is attractive.

I think dismissing either so quickly is pretty shortsighted and myopic. There is far more to academic opportunities than where an institution is graded by US News and World Report or where various snobbish elites hold it in esteem or reputation.

Personally, I made my college choice on where the ladies had the bigger racks!
Old 09-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #15
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Stanford basketball hasn't exactly been tearing it up recently.
The point was not to prop up Stanford it was to highlight the limitations of BYU. That is Utenation's great contribution to the world, they let us all know where BYU really stands in these matters!
Old 09-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #16
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
The point was not to prop up Stanford it was to highlight the limitations of BYU. That is Utenation's great contribution to the world, they let us all know where BYU really stands in these matters!
When their own program is in the dumps they have little else to do. Haws and others like him aren't even looking at Utah. That's got to hurt.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #17
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
When their own program is in the dumps they have little else to do. Haws and others like him aren't even looking at Utah. That's got to hurt.
Even when Utah was good in hoops Ute fans are very concerned with ensuring others hold BYU in its proper esteem and place.

I am sure it is because of BYU fans that they do it as well.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #18
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Personally, I made my college choice on where the ladies had the bigger racks!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

Goat I'm sorry but if you based your college choice on big racks and this is the best Army has you didn't look around much.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

Goat I'm sorry but if you based your college choice on big racks and this is the best Army has you didn't look around much.
YIKES!

Shock and awe.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #20
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Even when Utah was great we often missed out on guys like Haws. Some players are content to have a college hoops experience that does not involve winning NCAA tournament games. Stanford is in better shape than BYU. They have actually won an NCAA tournament game in the past 15 years.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote