cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 09-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #21
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Even when Utah was great we often missed out on guys like Haws. Some players are content to have a college hoops experience that does not involve winning NCAA tournament games. Stanford is in better shape than BYU. They have actually won an NCAA tournament game in the past 15 years.
Good thing that Utah has had such great success over BYU the last two year in both Football and Basketball.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #22
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Even when Utah was great we often missed out on guys like Haws. Some players are content to have a college hoops experience that does not involve winning NCAA tournament games. Stanford is in better shape than BYU. They have actually won an NCAA tournament game in the past 15 years.
Funk I am proud of you for realizing that you have one thing to hang your hat on left when it comes to BYU and Utah. Because BYU owns you in all other facets of the rivalry.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #23
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Funk I am proud of you for realizing that you have one thing to hang your hat on left when it comes to BYU and Utah. Because BYU owns you in all other facets of the rivalry.
I wouldn't trade a single one of the Utes tournament victories for a victory over BYU in football or basketball. Plus, I still expect Utah to win an NCAA tournament game before BYU does.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #24
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I wouldn't trade a single one of the Utes tournament victories for a victory over BYU in football or basketball. Plus, I still expect Utah to win an NCAA tournament game before BYU does.
I think after this year in football you may think differently, especially if both teams are undefeated going in to the rivalry game.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #25
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Because winning tournament games is something that Utah can actually offer him right now.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #26
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I wouldn't trade a single one of the Utes tournament victories for a victory over BYU in football or basketball.
I don't believe that for two seconds.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #27
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
Because winning tournament games is something that Utah can actually offer him right now.
Utah was able to win a tournament game with the worst coach in the programs history. I think we still can offer him a better chance to win a NCAA tournament game. The jury is still out on if Boylen will be a good coach, but I think people know what Rose is now. He is a very good coach that can win conference titles at BYU, but he doesn't win in the tournament. This goes back to his days at Dixie. He has been to the tournament twice and should have won both games but did not.

If he is smart, he will go to Stanford. LA Ute is right the only reasons for Haws to go to BYU are non-academic and non-athletic.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Is playing for your favorite college that you grew up rooting for a "non-athletlic" reason?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #29
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
LA Ute is right the only reasons for Haws to go to BYU are non-academic and non-athletic.
LA Ute is mistaken, and both of you engage in the kind of binary thought that any disinterested observer would mock, but I understand that rivalry prejudices can distort the thinking of even the brightest. People choose BYU (or most any school) based on a variety of factors, looking for the greatest combination of strengths. When considering, say, academics, athletics, social life, and spirituality (and there are other factors as well), BYU isn't number 1 in any of them. But many applicants have found that in the all-around competition (based on whatever weighting the applicant wishes to assign), BYU ranks first.

Allowing one's bitterness over the loss of a recruit to dismiss athletics or academics as having played a significant role in the decisionmaking process should temporarily strip one of the right to comment on the zoobishness of others.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #30
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Utah was able to win a tournament game with the worst coach in the programs history. I think we still can offer him a better chance to win a NCAA tournament game. The jury is still out on if Boylen will be a good coach, but I think people know what Rose is now. He is a very good coach that can win conference titles at BYU, but he doesn't win in the tournament. This goes back to his days at Dixie. He has been to the tournament twice and should have won both games but did not.

If he is smart, he will go to Stanford. LA Ute is right the only reasons for Haws to go to BYU are non-academic and non-athletic.
Worst coach yes. He also had the number 1 pick in the NBA draft and some talent around him. Utah does not have that talent currently. Since BYU has actually been to the tournament a couple of times since the Bogut run I would definitely say BYU has a better chance of it. You have to make it to the tourney to have an opportunity to win a game don't you?
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote