cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 10-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default BYU most dominant MWC program over ten years

from Wrubell
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=4519239

Quote:
Interesting to note that BYU has the most regular conference championships (4) and outright championships (2), the most conference wins (87) and the highest overall winning percentage (.661) since the inception of the MWC.
I didn't realize this, but this is pretty cool. Ten years is a legitimate time period for comparison.

There's no trend emerging that would make me think this will change over the next 3-5 years.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Who cares. I want a tourney win.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Who cares. I want a tourney win.
I do too, badly. And funk will ignorantly completely dismiss this because of the no tourney wins. But this is clearly significant.

The question I have that is an honest one is whether there's something about winning in the tourney that is significantly different than the MWC success.

Theory A: good teams are successful in every metric, be it total winning percentage, conference winning percentage, conference championships, post season success, etc. If there's an incongruent metric between NCAA success and other areas, it's most likely a data insufficiency issue or some random quirk, and over time, you will see those metrics come together.

Theory B: metrics of college basketball success are unequal. Regular season success is meaningless as a metric because the game completely changes in the post season. Future success in the post season can only be predicted by past success in the tourney NOT any other metric such as winning percentage or conference championships.

It's obvious funk is blinded by Utah's situation because Utah compared to BYU has such a quirky data relationship in post season success vs regular season success (especially last ten years). It's immature and silly for him not to acknowledge theory A to some degree.

But I'd like to understand more about this and admit there may be a partial inkling of truth to theory B.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Funk doesn't point out BYU's failure in the tournament because he is ignorant of the regular season or because he's blinded by Utah's success in the tournament. He does it because he knows it pisses you off.

I agree with you that 10 years is a very solid measuring stick for regular season success and I didn't realize BYU had been so consistent. That is impressive.

But the bottom line is that none of that matters, because teams are remembered for what happens in the Big Dance. For example, I have a neighbor who loves to pointout that in '99, the Utes were knocked out in the 2nd round by Miami (Ohio). He is giddy when he reminds me that that Utah team had 3 of the 5 starters from the Final Four team from the previous year. It bugs him that I agree that the Utes choked that year, because the tournament is what matters in college basketball.

My point? That was the year the Utes went undefeated in conference play and also won the conference tournament. Complete domination of conference play isn't what folks remember.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Funk doesn't point out BYU's failure in the tournament because he is ignorant of the regular season or because he's blinded by Utah's success in the tournament. He does it because he knows it pisses you off.

I agree with you that 10 years is a very solid measuring stick for regular season success and I didn't realize BYU had been so consistent. That is impressive.

But the bottom line is that none of that matters, because teams are remembered for what happens in the Big Dance. For example, I have a neighbor who loves to pointout that in '99, the Utes were knocked out in the 2nd round by Miami (Ohio). He is giddy when he reminds me that that Utah team had 3 of the 5 starters from the Final Four team from the previous year. It bugs him that I agree that the Utes choked that year, because the tournament is what matters in college basketball.

My point? That was the year the Utes went undefeated in conference play and also won the conference tournament. Complete domination of conference play isn't what folks remember.
This is a good point. Very much like National Championships and Heismans vs random bowl games.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This is a good point. Very much like National Championships and Heismans vs random bowl games.
Gino Torreta won a Heisman.

I still claim ignorance about a BYU national championship because it wasn't talked about in Europe, though you do make a point, despite the fact that football post season is different than hoops. Without a playoff, post season really is subjective. Playoffs leave no questions.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
from Wrubell
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=4519239

I didn't realize this, but this is pretty cool. Ten years is a legitimate time period for comparison.

There's no trend emerging that would make me think this will change over the next 3-5 years.
Wrubbell shows his colors as a complete homer. Over the past 10-years the best programs in the conference are Utah and UNLV. They are the only programs that have had any real success. BYU hasn't even had the best season the past two years that has been UNLV.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I do too, badly. And funk will ignorantly completely dismiss this because of the no tourney wins. But this is clearly significant.

The question I have that is an honest one is whether there's something about winning in the tourney that is significantly different than the MWC success.

Theory A: good teams are successful in every metric, be it total winning percentage, conference winning percentage, conference championships, post season success, etc. If there's an incongruent metric between NCAA success and other areas, it's most likely a data insufficiency issue or some random quirk, and over time, you will see those metrics come together.

Theory B: metrics of college basketball success are unequal. Regular season success is meaningless as a metric because the game completely changes in the post season. Future success in the post season can only be predicted by past success in the tourney NOT any other metric such as winning percentage or conference championships.

It's obvious funk is blinded by Utah's situation because Utah compared to BYU has such a quirky data relationship in post season success vs regular season success (especially last ten years). It's immature and silly for him not to acknowledge theory A to some degree.

But I'd like to understand more about this and admit there may be a partial inkling of truth to theory B.
The biggest stage in college hoops is the NCAA tournament. Teams are defined by their success in the tournament more than anything else. Regular season success isn't meaningless but it is secondary to tournament success. Would you rather have what UNLV did in 2006-2007 or what BYU did in 2006-2007?
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Wrubbell shows his colors as a complete homer. Over the past 10-years the best programs in the conference are Utah and UNLV. They are the only programs that have had any real success. BYU hasn't even had the best season the past two years that has been UNLV.
Your measure of success isn't a little arbitrary?

Here's my new metric: Final Four appearances * 5 + conference championships. Now tell me who's #1 in the conference over last ten years. Argue why that's any less relevant than tourney wins.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
The biggest stage in college hoops is the NCAA tournament.
Only for you young whipper snappers.

I'm stil glued to the National Invitational Tournament in New York City!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote