cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #21
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I want a tourney win too.

Conference Championships in Bball are great, but going 1 and out all the time is disheartening.

No one remembers last years team except for 2 things: Fight night in Vegas and bowing out in the 1st game again.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #22
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Really there are two factors that you should look at in evaluating the top team in the conference, tournament wins and conference championships. I think you need to give a lot stronger weight to the tournament wins. I think the 1998 Utah vs 1999 Utah is a great example of why the tournament wins matter most. Talk to a fan of any major college basketball program and they will always talk about tourny wins first and foremost. People remember tournament upsets or great tournament performances, but they don't remember who won their conference.

I would rank the MWC as follows over the past 10-years:

1) Utah (4 tournament wins, 6 tournament appearances, 4 championships)
2) BYU (0 tournament wins, 5 tournament appearances, 4 championships)
3) UNLV (3 tournament wins, 3 tournament apperances, 1 championship)

BYU and UNLV are very close and if not for the fewer tournament appearances, UNLV should be ahead of BYU.
I generally agree with this. Does the 4 championships mean regular season or conf tourney championships? I still believe the tourney win metric is a bit arbitrary and you're forcing that on us because it fits for your agenda.

When they compare the Cowboys to the Steelers do they talk about playoff victories ever?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #23
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I want a tourney win too.

Conference Championships in Bball are great, but going 1 and out all the time is disheartening.

No one remembers last years team except for 2 things: Fight night in Vegas and bowing out in the 1st game again.
I want one as well - and badly.

Still, I'll remember the players, team, and how well they played at home, the home-court winning streak, and the conference championship for a long time.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #24
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I generally agree with this. Does the 4 championships mean regular season or conf tourney championships? I still believe the tourney win metric is a bit arbitrary and you're forcing that on us because it fits for your agenda.

When they compare the Cowboys to the Steelers do they talk about playoff victories ever?
I don't recognize conference tournament victories as anything. Conference champion means the team that won the conference, not some team that got hot for 3-4 games and won some sham that exists only to make money for the conference.

Cowboys and the Steelers is not a relevant comparison to college hoops. Again, I point to 1998 vs 1999 Utah as the best example of why tournament wins are such an important metric. The clearly superior Utah team is forever viewed as the inferior team because of tournament performance.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #25
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I want one as well - and badly.

Still, I'll remember the players, team, and how well they played at home, the home-court winning streak, and the conference championship for a long time.
You will remember it but no one outside of BYU will remember it. College hoop fans still remember names like Bryce Drew, Harold "the Show" Arcenaux, and Stephen Curry.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #26
jay santos

Quote:
I don't recognize conference tournament victories as anything. Conference champion means the team that won the conference, not some team that got hot for 3-4 games and won some sham that exists only to make money for the conference.

Cowboys and the Steelers is not a relevant comparison to college hoops. Again, I point to 1998 vs 1999 Utah as the best example of why tournament wins are such an important metric. The clearly superior Utah team is forever viewed as the inferior team because of tournament performance.
So BYU has been clearly superior to Utah the last decade yet they will forever be viewed as inferior to Utah because of the tourney performance? Is that what you're saying?
Old 10-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #27
jay santos

Quote:
You will remember it but no one outside of BYU will remember it. College hoop fans still remember names like Bryce Drew, Harold "the Show" Arcenaux, and Stephen Curry.
You're getting off focus. Nobody will forget Bryce Drew and Valpo. But no one will mention Valpo as a good basketball program or team or that they had that good of a team for even that one year.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #28
mpfunk

Quote:
So BYU has been clearly superior to Utah the last decade yet they will forever be viewed as inferior to Utah because of the tourney performance? Is that what you're saying?
I am saying that in the 10-years that the MWC has been in existence that Utah has been the superior program.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #29
jay santos

Quote:
I am saying that in the 10-years that the MWC has been in existence that Utah has been the superior program.
And you base that on tourney wins. But then you turn around and say tourney wins are not a measure of who is superior but who is more memorable.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #30
mpfunk

Quote:
And you base that on tourney wins. But then you turn around and say tourney wins are not a measure of who is superior but who is more memorable.
Who had a better season the past two years, UNLV or BYU? Which team is regarded nationally as the better team the past two years? I think it is clear the answer to both is UNLV.