cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof-Bball View Post
I think this team is going to be pretty good. Much will depend on chemistry. I am anxious to see how the team is going adjust without having a post player be the central focus of the offense. Hopefully it doesnt take us too long to figure that out.

I really like the progress I have seen with Miles. He has a great motor and is one of the most fit guys on the team. Offensively I feel he has got a lot better. He takes his time and picks his spots well. He also has a pretty consistant 5-10 foot jumper with a high release point. Hopefully this will all transfer into game situations because we are really going to depend on him for a lot of minutes. Mcgreggor is a decent back up but nothing more than a backup.

I am not sure about Noah yet. He seems to have some skill but I dont know how much of an impact he will make this year. Having said that, I have only seen him a handful of times and hopefully he is able to shake of the mission rust and has a good year because we could use a second post scorer.

The guard situation is by far the most up in the air. I think Jimmer will start, but at what position? I know that Jimmer prefers point but I think the caches will probably wait and see how everyone plays even through the exhibition games to decide who the the starting pg and sg are. I would also suspect that either (Lloyd, Emery, or Abouo) will redshirt. Which one, I have no clue. That will probably not be decided untill after the exhibition games either.

My predicted starting lineup is as follows.

PG Jimmer
SG Emery
SF Lee
PF JT
C Miles

I think that Lloyd might redshirt

Obviously I could be way off on these but from what I have seen this is what I think.

PS hey Rocky how are you?

How has Emery looked in practice? Wrubell said Morgan made the most progress offseason. Do you agree? Which high school kids played pick up ball over the summer and who looked the best, Haws, Collinsworth, Harward, Davies, etc?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #12
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
How has Emery looked in practice? Wrubell said Morgan made the most progress offseason. Do you agree? Which high school kids played pick up ball over the summer and who looked the best, Haws, Collinsworth, Harward, Davies, etc?
Emery has looked pretty good. Defesively he is a terror and he seems to shoot and run the floor well.

I think morgan has mad some good progress over the summer. The players say he has been playing well. I have noticed that his Shot has improved. He is quick and can stay in front ot almost anyone though his downside is that he is pretty short and bigger scoring pgs shouldn't have any trouble shooting over him.

I thought Haws looked really good when I saw him play. He will fit in well at BYU.

I think also that Charles Abouo has tremendous upside. He is a phenomenal physical specimin and is a pretty heady player as well.
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #13
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof-Bball View Post
Emery has looked pretty good. Defesively he is a terror and he seems to shoot and run the floor well.

I think morgan has mad some good progress over the summer. The players say he has been playing well. I have noticed that his Shot has improved. He is quick and can stay in front ot almost anyone though his downside is that he is pretty short and bigger scoring pgs shouldn't have any trouble shooting over him.

I thought Haws looked really good when I saw him play. He will fit in well at BYU.

I think also that Charles Abouo has tremendous upside. He is a phenomenal physical specimin and is a pretty heady player as well.
Abuou is the anti normal BYU wing player. Usually BYU gets very good basketball players with limited athleticism. Abuou is a superb athlete but not yet a good basketball player. It will be interesting to see how he develops.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

lol..I'm doing good Prof thanks for asking...and I'm just givin ya crap. Sorry if I offended.

Regarding Jimmer, what aspect of his game did he work on the hardest over the off-season and what aspect would you say he's most improved?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Abuou is the anti normal BYU wing player. Usually BYU gets very good basketball players with limited athleticism. Abuou is a superb athlete but not yet a good basketball player. It will be interesting to see how he develops.
Have you see Abouo play?

He's not as rough around the edges as much as you might think.

The dude can ball.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #16
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
A water cooler could guard Jimmer.
Texas A&M couldn't guard him.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #17
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
lol..I'm doing good Prof thanks for asking...and I'm just givin ya crap. Sorry if I offended.

Regarding Jimmer, what aspect of his game did he work on the hardest over the off-season and what aspect would you say he's most improved?

Thanks.
I think he worked hardest on his ballhandling and his midrange pull up jumper. The biggest improvement I see in Jimmer this year is in body and quickness. He is weighing about 190-195 but he is leaner than I have ever seen him. He really has matured physically. Also I was watching the team do agility drills and he seemed to be one of the fastest ones.
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:47 PM   #18
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Texas A&M couldn't guard him.
You mean going 4 for 11 amounts to bad A&M defense?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:57 AM   #19
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You mean going 4 for 11 amounts to bad A&M defense?
Lame. Jimmer was about the only bright spot that game. That was the consensus from all Cougar fans after that game. Jimmer played huge in that game and a few others down the stretch last year.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #20
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Lame. Jimmer was about the only bright spot that game. That was the consensus from all Cougar fans after that game. Jimmer played huge in that game and a few others down the stretch last year.
I watched the game. He was OK, but he certainly didn't shred the A&M defense. If you are ecstatic about 36% FG shooting, then I expect you not to ever be disappointed in a BYU player again and I expect a lot more positive statements made about Tavernari this year.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote