cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 11-14-2008, 04:37 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recruits, other than Haws,

are the others likely to contribute?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...262691,00.html

It bothers me when all recruits come from the state of Utah, as that is not likely to improve the team's athleticism.

It sounds as if the post players may develop into workable players. Haws sounds like a decent guard.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

It bothers me when all recruits come from the state of Utah, as that is not likely to improve the team's athleticism.

It sounds as if the post players may develop into workable players. Haws sounds like a decent guard.
Look at Rivals. Compare the stars to Utah's. Your guy has not been recruiting too well. And your instinct is correct; Utah preps often have inflated ratings. Haws better be good or you may be facing apocalypse in a year. But he may turn out to be a total bust like those Brighton guys a few years back.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:20 AM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Look at Rivals. Compare the stars to Utah's. Your guy has not been recruiting too well. And your instinct is correct; Utah preps often have inflated ratings. Haws better be good or you may be facing apocalypse in a year. But he may turn out to be a total bust like those Brighton guys a few years back.
my ignorant guess is that he will become a good steady contributor, and that one of the big men will play a lot and the other two may be lucky to be role players. That's my guess from watching how things work in basketball.

For any semblance of competetiveness BYU had to sign Haws, but in basketball recruiting, BYU never seems, unlike football, to score a nice surprise. It may just be the talent pool for BYU basketball is less than football or recruiting is just not as sophisticated in our basketball system.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
SeattleUte

Quote:
my ignorant guess is that he will become a good steady contributor, and that one of the big men will play a lot and the other two may be lucky to be role players. That's my guess from watching how things work in basketball.

For any semblance of competetiveness BYU had to sign Haws, but in basketball recruiting, BYU never seems, unlike football, to score a nice surprise. It may just be the talent pool for BYU basketball is less than football or recruiting is just not as sophisticated in our basketball system.
In two years he hasn't assembled anything close to what he inherited from Cleveland's last class. At least now that Haws enrolled at BYU instead of Stanford it looks like he won't be going on a mission.

—Paul Auster
Old 11-14-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Haws is the biggest recruit of either class, and its not even close. Brandon Davies was also a huge recruit with a Utah offer. As well as an offer from Gonzaga, and Washington.

Harward and Austin are projects.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Haws is the biggest recruit of either class, and its not even close. Brandon Davies was also a huge recruit with a Utah offer. As well as an offer from Gonzaga, and Washington.

Harward and Austin are projects.
Most recruiting services rank Jeremy Olsen a little higher than Haws. So "not even close" is BS. Davies signed with BYU after Boylen was full +1 in 2009. Olsen's from Georgia, so I think the ratings are more trustworthy for him than Haws. There's no competition in Utah.

—Paul Auster
Old 11-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
YLife

YLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Most recruiting services rank Jeremy Olsen a little higher than Haws. So "not even close" is BS. Davies signed with BYU after Boylen was full +1 in 2009. Olsen's from Georgia, so I think the ratings are more trustworthy for him than Haws. There's no competition in Utah.
People from Utah can't play basketball.

Sincerely, the Roberts' family.

You're not paying attention to BYU's recruiting efforts recently. Jackson Emery is a gamer, and so is Abouo. BYU is as deep this year as they've ever been. utes are sure going to be disappointed this year. They'll also be disappointed with Olsen, who is too soft for a big. What a bummer for you, eh.

Last edited by YLife; 11-14-2008 at 12:19 PM.
YLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Recruiting services early ranked Olsen higher, as the summer progressed and Davies got more experience he got significant more attention. Davies had better scholarship offers than Olsen by the time the summer ended, but Olsen did committ early.

I think Davies will be a better player. Principally, he is a better athlete. Davies is a not a stiff Utah County White boy, in fact he is not white. He is a very athletic big man, probably as athletic as Trent Plaisted. He is also a year ahead of his class. The reason he shot up so quickly this summer was because he is finally growing into his body. He is only a 17 year old. Further, Davies is less likely than Olsen to go on a mission. I think Davies will get to BYU, redshirt his first year and then start as a redshirt freshman. He is not old enough to go on a mission until after his 2nd year at BYU and my guess is if he is coming off a great year as a starter he won't go. He has been less than committed to the idea up to now anyhow. So here we have 1.) better athlete and 2.) less likely to serve a mission. You do the percentages and let me know how frequently the less athletic kid who served a mission ended up being the better player.

So when one evaluates this class objectively between BYU and Utah the results are as follows:

Best Player: Haws - BYU...by a lot.
Second Best Player: Davies BYU, not by a significant margin but factoring for mission service it will prove decisive.
Third - Sixth Best: Whoever Utah recruited.
Worst: The two BYU projects.

In the end very few classes expect more than 2 players to contribute so clearly BYU has the better class. Their coach also doesn't get swept in a year by last place WYO teams.

However thanks for your input towel boy.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Recruiting services early ranked Olsen higher, as the summer progressed and Davies got more experience he got significant more attention. Davies had better scholarship offers than Olsen by the time the summer ended, but Olsen did committ early.

I think Davies will be a better player. Principally, he is a better athlete. Davies is a not a stiff Utah County White boy, in fact he is not white. He is a very athletic big man, probably as athletic as Trent Plaisted. He is also a year ahead of his class. The reason he shot up so quickly this summer was because he is finally growing into his body. He is only a 17 year old. Further, Davies is less likely than Olsen to go on a mission. I think Davies will get to BYU, redshirt his first year and then start as a redshirt freshman. He is not old enough to go on a mission until after his 2nd year at BYU and my guess is if he is coming off a great year as a starter he won't go. He has been less than committed to the idea up to now anyhow. So here we have 1.) better athlete and 2.) less likely to serve a mission. You do the percentages and let me know how frequently the less athletic kid who served a mission ended up being the better player.

So when one evaluates this class objectively between BYU and Utah the results are as follows:

Best Player: Haws - BYU...by a lot.
Second Best Player: Davies BYU, not by a significant margin but factoring for mission service it will prove decisive.
Third - Sixth Best: Whoever Utah recruited.
Worst: The two BYU projects.

In the end very few classes expect more than 2 players to contribute so clearly BYU has the better class. Their coach also doesn't get swept in a year by last place WYO teams.

However thanks for your input towel boy.
Is Davies 6 foot 7 or 6 foot 9?
Old 11-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is Davies 6 foot 7 or 6 foot 9?
6'6, 6'9 with the fro
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote