cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Recruiting services early ranked Olsen higher, as the summer progressed and Davies got more experience he got significant more attention. Davies had better scholarship offers than Olsen by the time the summer ended, but Olsen did committ early.

I think Davies will be a better player. Principally, he is a better athlete. Davies is a not a stiff Utah County White boy, in fact he is not white. He is a very athletic big man, probably as athletic as Trent Plaisted. He is also a year ahead of his class. The reason he shot up so quickly this summer was because he is finally growing into his body. He is only a 17 year old. Further, Davies is less likely than Olsen to go on a mission. I think Davies will get to BYU, redshirt his first year and then start as a redshirt freshman. He is not old enough to go on a mission until after his 2nd year at BYU and my guess is if he is coming off a great year as a starter he won't go. He has been less than committed to the idea up to now anyhow. So here we have 1.) better athlete and 2.) less likely to serve a mission. You do the percentages and let me know how frequently the less athletic kid who served a mission ended up being the better player.

So when one evaluates this class objectively between BYU and Utah the results are as follows:

Best Player: Haws - BYU...by a lot.
Second Best Player: Davies BYU, not by a significant margin but factoring for mission service it will prove decisive.
Third - Sixth Best: Whoever Utah recruited.
Worst: The two BYU projects.

In the end very few classes expect more than 2 players to contribute so clearly BYU has the better class. Their coach also doesn't get swept in a year by last place WYO teams.

However thanks for your input towel boy.
Counselor, you haven't addressed the fact that Boylen didn't even offer Davies.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:16 PM   #12
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Best Player: Haws - BYU...by a lot.
You have nothing but local Utah and southern Idaho lore to supprt this. The publications don't say Haws is "a lot" better than Olsen. The most you can say is that at this point they're rated about the same. Olsen is rated slightly higher in many of them.

So, all you guys are doing is recrruiting in-state. Let me ask you and YLife something. How long has it been since the state of Utah produced a truly impactful DI player? I'm talking about a player around which you can build a Sweet 16 program, a program of national distinction. (Is that your expectation?) In the last seventy years it's happened more than a few times, but it doesn't happen very often. You guys are in deep shit.

—Paul Auster
Old 11-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

The real question is how long before Boylen hangs himself with burnout and his frenetic and bizarre pace?

I give him through the end of NEXT season before he realizes that histrionics don't win basketball games.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #14
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Most recruiting services rank Jeremy Olsen a little higher than Haws. So "not even close" is BS. Davies signed with BYU after Boylen was full +1 in 2009. Olsen's from Georgia, so I think the ratings are more trustworthy for him than Haws. There's no competition in Utah.
Rivals has Haws in their top 150, Olsen is not. Scout has Haws as the number 30 Shooting Guard, Olsen is not ranked.

Its not close.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #15
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Rivals has Haws in their top 150, Olsen is not. Scout has Haws as the number 30 Shooting Guard, Olsen is not ranked.

Its not close.
You're lying. He's not on the Rivals 150. I repeat, as the standout in Utah he gets outsized attention. Take a look at the last two recruiting classes for Utah and BYU. It's not even close. And who's showing more stroke out of state, where it really counts? It's not like your guy had the luxury of sitting on his laurels becuse his cupboard was so full. He can't recruit except with the Mormon advantage in state. He's a terrible recruiter.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/commitlist.asp

—Paul Auster
Old 11-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #16
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Ummm... SU, you linked the alabama football commit list.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewra...09&ra_key=1642
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #17
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
Ummm... SU, you linked the alabama football commit list.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewra...09&ra_key=1642
1) go to baskeball, 2) find BYU/Utah, 3) find 2008/2009. I linked it on the BYU 2008 basketball page but it has a mind of its own.

—Paul Auster
Old 11-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #18
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, now click on my link. Then, ctl F "haws". Or just scroll down, and voila, there he is.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #19
cougjunkie

Quote:
You're lying. He's not on the Rivals 150. I repeat, as the standout in Utah he gets outsized attention. Take a look at the last two recruiting classes for Utah and BYU. It's not even close. And who's showing more stroke out of state, where it really counts? It's not like your guy had the luxury of sitting on his laurels becuse his cupboard was so full. He can't recruit except with the Mormon advantage in state. He's a terrible recruiter.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/commitlist.asp
Lets see if unlike Waters you are man enough to apologize when you are wrong.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp

Please look at number 138 on the list. First of all I was not comparing overall recruiting classes, I was comparing Haws and how he is clearly superior than any single recruit the Utes have. OVerall the jury is obviously still out.

Also how can you call Dave Rose a terrible recruiter? Jimmer Fredette is a Rose recruit he was solid last year, Tavernari is a Dave Rose recruit he is also very good. Are you just pissed he didnt go after Kepkay?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #20
cougjunkie

Quote:
1) go to baskeball, 2) find BYU/Utah, 3) find 2008/2009. I linked it on the BYU 2008 basketball page but it has a mind of its own.
Breaking News: Haws is not a 2008 recruit. Thank you for showing us your vast knowledge.