cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Utes 12-14

if you said that the MWC would be having a great season, and that Utah would have a losing record, it might be hard to believe.

I don't follow Utes basketball, so I have no idea why they have slipped into mediocrity. I would guess poor recruiting. You would think that Utah would be the most attractive school in the MWC.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Loss of too many seniors, coupled with a bad meshing and too many freshmen and new players being asked to play too many important roles.

They don't have a good point guard and their guard play is sporadic. However it does have some athletes and with a seven footer in the center, the defense can disrupt slashing teams. Offensive consistency is a problem.

The team is likely to be great every so often and then produce a season such as this one. Not enough great athletes to be consistently on top.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Playing freshmen is no excuse. Some of the best players in the country are freshmen.

This is the era where guys come in and make impacts immediately. Senior-laden teams are the exception in terms of elite teams.

So, if you are telling me that there are too many freshmen, you are telling me there are too many mediocre freshmen recruits. Which is telling for the program. It has slipped.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Playing freshmen is no excuse. Some of the best players in the country are freshmen.

This is the era where guys come in and make impacts immediately. Senior-laden teams are the exception in terms of elite teams.

So, if you are telling me that there are too many freshmen, you are telling me there are too many mediocre freshmen recruits. Which is telling for the program. It has slipped.
It has slipped but the circumstances are different. With UNLV, SDSU and UNM, plus BYU, Utah will never dominate the conference.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't follow Utes basketball, so I have no idea why they have slipped into mediocrity.
Yeah you don't follow politics either.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I don't. I know Luke [weird last name] is on the team because I was listening to ESPN radio and the local TCU pre-game show was on.

Last time I paid attention they had the son of the polygamist on the team as well.

Heck, I doubt whether even Ute fans are paying attention this year. They must have really thought that their new coach was The Answer. Reminds me of The Who: meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Who was that guy they fired?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Something I've noticed about BYU fans. They are incapable of seeing anything other than a snapshot in time. What is today is as it always will be, and they are generally ignorant of history. Hence, for example, BYU fans have been assuming that BYU is the 2010 MWC champion. All of a sudden--whoops!--New Mexico is in a tie with BYU and ranked higher.

Lest you forget Waters and Arch, UTAH was the best MWC team last year. It won the most MWC games; tied for first then won the tournament and was seeded fifth. It also has had two years of recruiting (2009 and 2010) that exceed BYU and in the aggregate suprass any team in the conference except arguably New Mexico. BYU has signed two legitimate DI players, the rest (according to reports) are big sky material. It's the same old story, a couple of LDS standouts and LDS filler.

Is UCLA going to fire Howland? It's not about to based on one year. Nor are savvy Ute fans worried about their basketball program. This year Utah has good young talent, not Kentucky good, but the kind of talent that stands out in time. And a strong 2010 class is in the can.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I honestly don't remember a thing about the Utes last year. I guess, because I didn't dedicate any neurons to it.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I honestly don't remember a thing about the Utes last year. I guess, because I didn't dedicate any neurons to it.
See what I mean.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
See what I mean.
I follow Utah more closely than Mike, which isn't difficult, but believe your assessment of Utah's talent to be over-inflated. Utah has some pieces but Utah really needs an adequate point guard and doesn't have that for offensive consistency.

It has some pieces but doesn't mesh well together for enough games. It's a helter skelter team.

Bolyen seems capable enough if he can get some better players.

But UNM, UNLV and BYU will tend to be more consistent than Utah in basketball.