cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 02-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You'll fall hard as you always do.

Here's what's going on with BYU right now.

First, Jimmer really is a special player. An extraordinary high mid-major caliber player. He's also a point guard who scores in bunches and makes plays. There's nothing more dominant in sports than this kind of player in the college game.

Second, the Gipper factor. We all remember the tale of George Gipp at Notre Dame. He fell ill and died almost overnight in the middle of a season in which he was leading Notre Dame to glory. The team was grief stricken. Knute Rockne told them repeatedly, "Win this for the Gipper." The phrase always fired them up and they won game after game.

Now, imagine if George Gipp had risen from the dead. Imagine if he came, showed up in the locker room, put on his leather helmet and pads, and said, "Let's go play!" And the players saw this meant all to him. Imagine how much they would then be motivated, especially if they felt this was miraculous and the Gipper might be taken from them at any time, as quickly as he was the first time. They would not want him to taste defeat; they'd play every game like it was their or the Gipper's last.

I don't know about you, but I didn't know it was possible to recover from pancreatic cancer. These kids seem to have been fond of their coach. I emphasize, they are kids. Imagine how they felt last summer. They probably thought for a time, he had coached his last game; he was gone. But he's alive again, and with them; the Gipper has returned. They may have been fond of him before; they love him now. When they fall behind with ten minutes to go, they just have to look at the bench, and see Coach. I bet they get a knot in the throat, and new energy; they fly, and those shots miraculously ripple the nets.

Who knows how far this will take them? This doesn't seem to me to be overall a really athletic team. No doubt, Jimmer is a special player. But I do believe they are sort of playing on beams of light. We'll see how far this amazing cause to give all they have every minute of every game takes them. They seem to be enjoying a special season with a coach they thought was gone and making the most of their talents.

But these rare circumstances will pass, and Haws is mission bound. BYU is headed for more deep losing seasons.
You are happily mistaken.

There will always be another Jimmer, and they will come more sooner than every before. It's because the Mothers in Zion will raise up a righteous breed, from the womb, who shall serve, not Mammon.

Whereas before, there was a Nemelka, a Cosic, and then the Great Era of the Ainge was upon us. But for the unrighteous dominion the Sons of Zion did exercise, the Lord of the Courts did smite the Cougs from the Valley of Death, by that wicked King Majerus.

But after much pestilence and suffering, the Lord did raise up a righteous posterity, and then a young Jimmer, followed by many who doubted not that their mothers knew it. A new cleanness ruled the land, and lands from Indiana, North Carolina and many other a saintly mother did return to Zion and the Lord's promised land.

So you who kick against the pricks will be thrust down as in the days of yore.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I don't think BYU will ever likely get another good LDS guard.

But the good news is that they may get some freakishly ugly big men from Australia. Float the program for a few years.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #23
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yeah, I don't think BYU will ever likely get another good LDS guard.

But the good news is that they may get some freakishly ugly big men from Australia. Float the program for a few years.
Typical historical perspective. Last guard BYU had as good as Jimmer graduted in 1981.

Also typical: Celebrating parochialism over internationalism.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Who are the good guards that Utah has had.

Andre Miller and? My mind is drawing a blank.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #25
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Who are the good guards that Utah has had.

Andre Miller and? My mind is drawing a blank.

You are proving my point. Utah has had many "good" gaurds. But none other great like Andre Miller. They also haven't been to the Final Two very often.

Incidentally, I doubt Jimmer is THAT good.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The fact is that Utah has always relied on talented bigs. As has BYU historically.

It just so happens that right now Utah has neither. And BYU doesn't have talented bigs, but talent at the other positions.

Basketball is extremely dependent on recruiting talented players. Just one guy can make all the difference.

The fortunes of a program can change radically over time. A&M is a good example. In their best years they were mediocre (they once made it to the dance with a losing record) under Shelby Metcalf, and in their worst years they were terrible. And no one at A&M cared about basketball. Now suddenly basketball is huge at A&M. Under two consecutive coaches.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #27
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The fortunes of a program can change radically over time. A&M is a good example. In their best years they were mediocre (they once made it to the dance with a losing record) under Shelby Metcalf, and in their worst years they were terrible. And no one at A&M cared about basketball. Now suddenly basketball is huge at A&M. Under two consecutive coaches.
How has A&M done in the tourney? Now that you've attempted to proclaim BYU the most dominant team in the MWC, a true measure of the success of such a team is how they fare against "real" competition. Has A&M proved that they belong?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
How has A&M done in the tourney? Now that you've attempted to proclaim BYU the most dominant team in the MWC, a true measure of the success of such a team is how they fare against "real" competition. Has A&M proved that they belong?
A&M has done well.

And yes, across all sports, men and women, BYU is dominant in the MWC.

I just looked up the Sears Director Cup standings. BYU is currently #23. Utah is just behind Stephen F. Austin at #100. No matter, Utah is better at research, thus a better addition to a conference.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:43 AM   #29
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Waters that was a great 30,000th post! You are certainly the IndyCoug of this place.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote