cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2010, 02:01 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Future looks bright for the Cougars

I have a lot of thoughts about the KSU game. But in short, the better team won. Better at every position. Better guards. Better frontline. Jimmer owned. Couldn't even bring the ball up the court due to the strength and quickness of Pullen. Not to mention, Jimmer's lack of defensive ability. He scores 30 and gives up 30.

Anyway, looking to next season.

Jimmer will be back. He doesn't have a shot to be an NBA player. Who is he going to guard in the NBA? His stuff works great against a lot of teams, but not against elite players.

Loyd has really impressed me. Great defense. Super quick. Improved shot. Can go to the rim, has a mid-range game. I dare say Loyd has the potential to be the player that Jimmer cannot be.

But with Loyd and Jimmer we have a problem. Or maybe it's not a problem. We have two combo guards. Neither is really a true point guard. Can they play well together and complement each other? Here's a better question. Can Jimmer make an impact on the game offensively without overdribbling? Jimmer going one-on-one is not going to get BYU wins against good competition.

Haws has really impressed me. I think he is going to be a star for BYU. But he's mission-bound, so not part of the equation next year.

Davies, I don't know if he's LDS, haven't heard that he's going on a mission, so I assume he will be back. A lot of upside to this kid. Is already better than Miles, will only get better. Can he develop to the point that 1) offensively, he has to be reckoned with, 2) how much can he contribute on the defensive side with shot-blocking and rebounding (two huge weaknesses for this team)?

Emery. I am a big fan. Great defensively, can really run. Great 3-point shooter. But his weakness is that he doesn't have an offensive game beyond that, can't create his own shot, no mid-range game, not terribly effective going to the rim. As long as Jimmer is on the floor, we have defensive problems. Jimmer can't guard anyone fast. Emery and Loyd have to do that. I would like to see Emery develop his offensive game more. Be more of a threat.

Hartsock is solid. But he's only solid. He has a decent offensive game, and he scraps on the defensive side, but will often be overpowered guarding 4's. And completely overpowered guardin 5's. Ideally Hartsock would be a backup 4, sort of a change of pace guy to bring more offensive off the bench.

Abouo. I like this guy. He's a little rough, but it's clear that he has improved significantly. Probably the best pure athlete on the team in terms of raw power and explosiveness. He knows his role, come off the bench, add energy, get garbage points. Play defense, rebound. He just needs to get better at everything. If BYU is to improve next season, he needs more minutes, and needs to be even more effective in those minutes.

Chris Collinsworth, coming back from his mission. He was a solid and heady as a freshman. Good defender, but sleight of build. Had range out to 12 feet or so. Scraps. Who knows how he will do when he returns. But I expect him to get significant playing time. His younger brother has committed to BYU, and looks to be a more elite pickup. Though I don't know much about him. Sounds like he is yet another combo guard. One wonders how he picks up minutes from Fredette, Loyd, and Emery.

You know, I would have liked to have watched Prof. Basketball (Jimmer's relative) during the KSU game. Hell, I would have liked to watch him during the Florida game. After he came on here and ragged on Loyd. To see Loyd actually pick up the team and put the team on his back. And then to see Jimmer almost choke the game away, while making antics in front of the camera. And then to see Jimmer embarrassed against KSU. He looked like one of the Reid brothers against KSU. Jimmer is good. But he is what he is. He is not a good defender. He is a guy that needs to have the ball in his hands to be effective, which is a weakness. Elite players don't have to have the ball. They can be effective off the ball. And Jimmer needs to expand his game and show that. Because BYU has too much talent for the other guys to stand around and watch Jimmer dribble and play street ball, effectively against lousy guards, and disastrously against good guards.

I think Loyd is going to be a star. And I hope Jimmer doesn't end up holding Loyd back.

Ok, now some overall observations: for this team to really get further, it doesn't need better offense. It needs better defense. Especially from the 4 and 5 positions. But also from the 1 (Jimmer). You note that all the BYU players were under extreme duress dribbling, passing, and shooting. Whereas on the other side of the floor, BYU couldn't bring that kind of pressure. To some degree it is a function of the athletes you have. Loyd for example, has extremely quick feet and hands, as well as great anticipation. Some of the other players do not. But more than that, it is a matter of commitment. Of selling out on defense. Go back and watch Jimmer on defense, and tell me if he is selling out on defense. This team cannot do better without great team defense. And they just don't have it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Lloyd should transfer.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
SeattleUte

Mike, did you intend the title of this thread to be ironic?

—Paul Auster
Old 03-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Unlike Utes, I am capable of constructive criticism.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Losses versus additions.

We lose Miles, Tavernari and Morgan, plus Haws to a mission.

We gain Collinsworth, Collinsworth and Windor plus a forward/center to be named.

Davies has upside and is very young. Remember, he's only just turned 18. We need him to become more aggressive yet not silly.

Who is the JUCO forward the Cougs are keen on signing. This is our major deficiency. We have no bulk nor athleticism beyond anybody here.

Collinsworth was slight but rumored to have grown on the mission.

Kyle is supposed to be a big guard, scorer.

Windor is another Abouo type player, with more abilities to score.

But we lose one underachieving center and gain, a forward from his mission, and two combo guards, plus a player yet to be named.

Can this new team become better defensively. The commitment to great defense did not exist this year. However, if better defense were played, I think our offense would improve.

Naturally the optimist in me would like to think the player to be named solves all interior problems. LOL. Right?

BYU has adequate guard play but now no typical lumbering forward/center. What I'd give to have Araujo or Peanut Brain right now.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Heck, even Tai Wesley would be a great addition to this team. How did we miss out on him?
Old 03-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Heck, even Tai Wesley would be a great addition to this team. How did we miss out on him?
At the forward and center positions you don't need all world, just competent guys who hold their position and fight hard.

Look at Cornell or Northern Iowa.

Our defenders don't sell out. That's the number one problem, they don't move their feet and make offensive players pay with hard fouls.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

http://www.usu-tube.com/pages/full_s...%20&id=4979454

Quote:
“I verbally committed to BYU, and they came to the house and told me that they didn’t have a scholarship for me until after my mission, but I wanted a full ride the whole time,” Wesley said. “So, I uncommitted and started looking again and Utah State was honest with me from the very start. I really liked their program and I kind of just fell in love with Logan.”
Tai was solid against A&M. Not spectacular. Solid. And A&M was a very, very good defensive ballclub. Wesley has far more than we get from our current bigs.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Miles and Tavernari--whether they will be missed or not depends on who is replacing them. If anyone.

Collinsworth replaces Tavernari. He is not the scorer that Tavernari was, but neither is he the brainless bomber. He will be a better defender. He was a 3/4 IIRC. But Tavernari was undersized himself.

It's not clear to me who replaces Miles as the backup 5. Davies needs a backup. Getting a 4 (who can guard the 5) or a 5 has to be the #1 priority.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
SeattleUte

We have a joint New Mexico problem. New Mexico has its best players back next year and is recruiting to beat the band. NM is the most likely next dynasty.

—Paul Auster