cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
We have a joint New Mexico problem. New Mexico has its best players back next year and is recruiting to beat the band. NM is the most likely next dynasty.
That sounds like a gross over-statement.

Both UNLV and SDSU are one player away from joining them or replacing them.

NM has a nice team but compared to the good Tourney teams, looked slower than I had expected.

SDSU and UNLV have Tourney speed, but lack a consistent scorer. With Leonard and the additional transfer, look for SDSU to make the leap. I don't know what UNLV has in store but their coach can coach.

BYU is frustrating me with its horrid inside play. We either have adequate inside players or adequate guards but rarely both. So close, yet so far. We can almost taste respectability yet it's still outside our grasp.

I don't see UNM making the next step before the other two squads.

UW looked far more talented than its record would indicate. Where did that team come from?

I like St. Mary's and N. Iowa, as well as Cornell, for models of building a program without super athletes. But in each instance, it starts with superior interior play and at least one really, good guard.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
We have a joint New Mexico problem. New Mexico has its best players back next year and is recruiting to beat the band. NM is the most likely next dynasty.
It's only a problem for losers who are convinced they can't compete and can't get into the tourney w/o winning the conference tourney.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #13
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's only a problem for losers who are convinced they can't compete and can't get into the tourney w/o winning the conference tourney.
I'd kill for Plaisted right now. That one peanut brain would make us competitive in the Tourney.

In reality, I like Tourney ball and everything else is just an exhibition. It's nice to be invited to the Party, but it'd be really nice to dine there for a while.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Until BYU can win the conference tourney, they won't reach the Sweet 16.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:02 AM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
Until BYU can win the conference tourney, they won't reach the Sweet 16.
It seems as if we're getting better guards, but now we some decent bigs.

Anson Winder, DeMarcus Harrison seem to fit the bill.

We were also looking at Jonathan Lloyd, Michael's brother but probably not big enough.

There's a kid in Ohio/Pennsylvania who is LDS, that's an athletic phenom but rough as a basketball player, he's a junior I believe and is about 6'10". So perhaps for Lloyd's senior year. Jabari Parker might grow to be a big kid but then we might not have guards.

I think we need to scout more Lloyds and fewer Emery's.

I'd like to see more commitment on defense. We don't sell out to play defense like the good Tourney teams do. Our kids take plays off.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Emery is actually quite athletic. It's just that he's not able or willing to use that athleticism on the offensive side of the ball to good effect. He's more of the prototypical old-school shooting guard. He shoots open shots. And that's it.

It's actually Jimmer that is the weak link on defense due to lack of athleticism (and desire).
Old 03-23-2010, 05:46 AM   #17
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

We'll be in the Pac 10 by the fall and then we'll be done with you all.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #18
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
That sounds like a gross over-statement.

Both UNLV and SDSU are one player away from joining them or replacing them.

NM has a nice team but compared to the good Tourney teams, looked slower than I had expected.

SDSU and UNLV have Tourney speed, but lack a consistent scorer. With Leonard and the additional transfer, look for SDSU to make the leap. I don't know what UNLV has in store but their coach can coach.

BYU is frustrating me with its horrid inside play. We either have adequate inside players or adequate guards but rarely both. So close, yet so far. We can almost taste respectability yet it's still outside our grasp.

I don't see UNM making the next step before the other two squads.

UW looked far more talented than its record would indicate. Where did that team come from?

I like St. Mary's and N. Iowa, as well as Cornell, for models of building a program without super athletes. But in each instance, it starts with superior interior play and at least one really, good guard.
Washington was supposed to cake walk through the Pac 10 this year. It's very taleneted but very young. Romar is an unbelievable recruiter. But the team was very uneven, at loose ends until the last five games or so of the season and the Pac 10 tournament. Now I think West Virginia has its work cut out. Washington has the athletes and basketball players to stay with Kentucky. Darrington Hobson et al. got slammed by a freight train. Just feel lucky BYU didn't get a 6 seed and play Washington in the first round.

—Paul Auster
Old 03-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think Utah would fit in nicely in a two-bid conference. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #20
SeattleUte

Quote:
I think Utah would fit in nicely in a two-bid conference. Good luck.
I'd rather them be in a conference that regular sends team deep into the tournament.

—Paul Auster