cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

There are only 2 things that could be worse about this:

1. Listening to the guys on CB talk about this. I have, of course, managed to avoid this.

2. Listenin to the guys on the MTN talk about this. Unfortunately, I will just have to cringe. I may mute.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #12
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. Now the SL Trib and ESPN are both reporting that Davies was booted for having sex.

If it wasn't bad enough that he was already making headlines for being kicked out, now everyone is being told precisely what his offense was.

So much for the policy of the honor code office not disclosing details. Looks like someone at BYU has loose lips.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:17 AM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Most sports reporters aren't too bright.

Now you know what Jimmer et al. think of the Honor Code and BYU's justice.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm afraid this team may be cooked. Davies is huge, huge, huge. He might even be the player with the most upside, most ability, most likely to play well in the NBA.

Davies to Anderson is just a ridiculous downgrade.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:55 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I doubt the leak on the nature of the "crime" was the honor code office. Davies probably told a lot of friends, who told friends, etc.

Plus in some ways, it helps Davies. At least among the public in general. In the public's mind, it was likely something much worse, like academic cheating, using the N-word in a non-rap context, or saying "irregardless" rather than "regardless."

I vote that we have a witch-hunt at BYU. Drag every student in front of a tribunal and demand to know whether they have had sex, something like unto sex. And kick em all out.

We could use a cleansing in this church. NO SINNERS. We're the church of perfection. You get perfect by repenting and taking the sacrament every week, unless its sex of course. The sacrament doesn't work for that.

After we are done kicking out all the single folks that are fornicating, let's go after the married folks. And kick out all the ones that are being abstinent. Hell of a sin to be abstinent when you are married.

What else?

Are we to believe, really, that among all the BYU athletes, in the last 2 years or so, only 2 or 3 have had sex? How many are there? 1000? Surely there have been at least 10x time, if not 20x, or 30x.

Maybe BYU can do us all a favor, and fold up the entire operation, because it appears, by my count and observation, to encourage fornication. Penning up all those young kids together. Recipe for disaster.

Blow the whole thing up!

<sigh>

Is this really how we work? Just thoroughly embarrassing kids like this, instead of helping them turn their lives around privately?

I guarantee there are plenty of Bishops at BYU who are NOT turning kids in, who are not blowing up degrees and careers, but are helping them repent and do right.

I just hate to see bullsh*t fiascos like this.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:10 AM   #16
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

we'red doomed. 18-pt loss.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #17
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I doubt the leak on the nature of the "crime" was the honor code office. Davies probably told a lot of friends, who told friends, etc.

Plus in some ways, it helps Davies. At least among the public in general. In the public's mind, it was likely something much worse, like academic cheating, using the N-word in a non-rap context, or saying "irregardless" rather than "regardless."

I vote that we have a witch-hunt at BYU. Drag every student in front of a tribunal and demand to know whether they have had sex, something like unto sex. And kick em all out.

We could use a cleansing in this church. NO SINNERS. We're the church of perfection. You get perfect by repenting and taking the sacrament every week, unless its sex of course. The sacrament doesn't work for that.

After we are done kicking out all the single folks that are fornicating, let's go after the married folks. And kick out all the ones that are being abstinent. Hell of a sin to be abstinent when you are married.

What else?

Are we to believe, really, that among all the BYU athletes, in the last 2 years or so, only 2 or 3 have had sex? How many are there? 1000? Surely there have been at least 10x time, if not 20x, or 30x.

Maybe BYU can do us all a favor, and fold up the entire operation, because it appears, by my count and observation, to encourage fornication. Penning up all those young kids together. Recipe for disaster.

Blow the whole thing up!

<sigh>

Is this really how we work? Just thoroughly embarrassing kids like this, instead of helping them turn their lives around privately?

I guarantee there are plenty of Bishops at BYU who are NOT turning kids in, who are not blowing up degrees and careers, but are helping them repent and do right.

I just hate to see bullsh*t fiascos like this.
good job

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #18
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Please help me to understand something here.

When an LDS majority rallied in unison to oppose gay marriage, they did so under the scope of preserving the sanctity of marriage and moral values. Moreover, many joined the cause for obedience reasons, seeing it as following the prophet.

And now what I find so striking is that many members of that very same circle are calling for leniency and amnesty in regards to their star athlete. Davies failed to meet a standard of chastity and virtue, yet the process of honor code enforcement is suddenly under scrutiny.

And moreover, wouldn't the prophet, who is trustee-in-trust of BYU, have had the final say in reviewing, modifying and approving said honor code? The very same prophet who was followed in one instance, but now being constructively criticized under the same umbrella? Would things have gone differently in 2008 if the gay community pulled in 6.2 rebounds per game?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

from whence do you get the sense that Mormons are wanting leniency?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #20
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Not Mormons as a whole, but from many, due to discussions at Institute this morning, callers on Jim Rome the last two days, reader comments on the SL Trib website, facebook threads, etc. Many feel bad for Davies and applaud BYU for holding to their standards, while others say the punishments for honor code violations are too extreme and should be held behind closed ecclesiastical doors, which would allow Davies to keep playing basketball while working out his spiritual matters in private.