cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a little like being on a mission. Different mission presidents have different philosophies on what can be worked out on the mission, and what necessitates sending a kid home.

My mission president tried his hardest to keep kids on their missions, although that was sometimes out of his hands. I can only think of one guy who was sent home. Why did he do it that way?

We might all agree that there is a certain kind of predator/miscreant/criminal that should be kicked out of BYU post-haste. But then there are the people that get off-track, and the question becomes what is in the person's best interest, in terms of getting them back on-track.

When I guy who hasn't been active since he was 18 years old, comes back to church at age 35, and he has a live-in girlfriend, we don't rush to assemble a council and disfellowship or excommunicate him. We try to fellowship and love, and help him make changes in his life that get him back into "full communion."

My guess is that this is what occurs in most/many cases at BYU, What percent of students are being expelled for sexual sin on an annual basis, versus the percent that are doing it, and the percent that are doing it and telling their Bishops?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The OU colleague just dropped by my office. He asked me, "Do you know who was the only BYU player to score last night?"

Old 03-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Monson's take:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars...r-lds.html.csp
Old 03-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #24
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My guess is that this is what occurs in most/many cases at BYU, What percent of students are being expelled for sexual sin on an annual basis, versus the percent that are doing it, and the percent that are doing it and telling their Bishops?
This is one thing that makes the U and USU so great: live the gospel because you want to, not because you are under pressure to oblige a contract. Do what's right simply for the rightness of doing right. And there are no snitches blowing their whistles and holding up yellow cards like soccer referees. No 19 year old proctors who are incapable of growing peach fuzz, turning away people from testing centers who have five o'clock shadows, nine hours after shaving. A campus where people accept one another for who they are. Spent last night binge drinking? More power to you. In bed at 11 after an FHE square dance? More power to you. Let's go grab a slice at The Pie and discuss the lecture.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:00 AM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Yeah but all the hot non Utahn Mormon chicks are at BYU.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Good to see Davies on the bench today. Surprising, actually. I would have thought BYU would not have allowed that. As a non-team member, he is actually sitting on the bench a an injured player would.

But I'm glad they allowed that. Stuff it, Carri Jenkins.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Amare brings out the race card.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6187625
Old 03-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Ross Douthat even joins in.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/07/op...t.html?_r=1&hp

Quote:
In 2002, the study reported, 22 percent of Americans aged 15 to 24 were still virgins. By 2008, that number was up to 28 percent. Other research suggests that this trend may date back decades, and that young Americans have been growing more sexually conservative since the late 1980s.

Why is this good news? Not, it should be emphasized, because it suggests the dawn of some sort of traditionalist utopia, where the only sex is married sex. No such society has ever existed, or ever could: not in 1950s America (where, as the feminist writer Dana Goldstein noted last week, the vast majority of men and women had sex before they married), and not even in Mormon Utah (where Brigham Young University recently suspended a star basketball player for sleeping with his girlfriend).