cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 03-23-2011, 01:50 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lesbians and basketball

Very recently, I asked my very young daughter if she was interested in learning to play basketball. She said "no, basketball is just for boys." I didn't like that answer so I set about proving to her that girls play basketball as well.

She believes me now, and she says she wants to play. So we've been doing a few things like passing the ball and very simple dribbling.

I've never liked women's basketball. I never watch it. Never been interested in it. Of course the thought has occurred to me that if my daughter were to play basketball in high school and college, I would be very much into it as I supported her.

So I am no mentally entering new territory. Women's sports. Something I don't think about at all. It's like "A Bend in the River", I'm scared and I don't know what the hell I'm getting into.

Ok, I'm not scared, but the thought did occur to me, what is up with all these lesbians in women's basketball? I don't pay attention to the WNBA, but I had seen an article that said it had a real lesbian image, and a lot of the WNBA players are lesbians. I was aware that Sheryl Swoopes, a name that had entered my sports consciousness many years prior, had come out as a lesbian. And it just so happened that I recently met someone who was a basketball player and a lesbian.

If my daughter were to really get into basketball, would she be a entering a sport that has an inordinate (huge?) number of lesbians? Is this the equivalent of a parent setting up their 18 year old son with a townhouse in the Castro district of San Francisco?

When I need answers I turn to the Lord. But I also turn to google. Google led me to this article: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=6060641 . Apparently, this whole lesbian question and issue is a huge deal for women basketball players. You go through this article and you hear from this lesbian and that lesbian, and then you ask yourself, where are all the gay male college basketball players? (Some of you smartasses are saying "at the coffee house sipping lattes with their ipads"). What is it about basketball and women? Is the same true of volleyball and soccer? Is basketball the "butch" sport? One of the highlights of my very short high school basketball career was playing the girls varsity team when I was a frosh, and blocking out the high school homecoming queen, but I digress.

Am I on the precipice of being a sports dad? You know, the dad of a very good collegiate athlete? One of the guys that the camera pans to in the stands? I thought it was going to be simpler than this. This women's sports thing seems a helluva complicated deal. I'm already getting heartburn and my daughter isn't big enough to shoot on a 6 foot goal.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Very recently, I asked my very young daughter if she was interested in learning to play basketball. She said "no, basketball is just for boys." I didn't like that answer so I set about proving to her that girls play basketball as well.

She believes me now, and she says she wants to play. So we've been doing a few things like passing the ball and very simple dribbling.

I've never liked women's basketball. I never watch it. Never been interested in it. Of course the thought has occurred to me that if my daughter were to play basketball in high school and college, I would be very much into it as I supported her.

So I am no mentally entering new territory. Women's sports. Something I don't think about at all. It's like "A Bend in the River", I'm scared and I don't know what the hell I'm getting into.

Ok, I'm not scared, but the thought did occur to me, what is up with all these lesbians in women's basketball? I don't pay attention to the WNBA, but I had seen an article that said it had a real lesbian image, and a lot of the WNBA players are lesbians. I was aware that Sheryl Swoopes, a name that had entered my sports consciousness many years prior, had come out as a lesbian. And it just so happened that I recently met someone who was a basketball player and a lesbian.

If my daughter were to really get into basketball, would she be a entering a sport that has an inordinate (huge?) number of lesbians? Is this the equivalent of a parent setting up their 18 year old son with a townhouse in the Castro district of San Francisco?

When I need answers I turn to the Lord. But I also turn to google. Google led me to this article: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=6060641 . Apparently, this whole lesbian question and issue is a huge deal for women basketball players. You go through this article and you hear from this lesbian and that lesbian, and then you ask yourself, where are all the gay male college basketball players? (Some of you smartasses are saying "at the coffee house sipping lattes with their ipads"). What is it about basketball and women? Is the same true of volleyball and soccer? Is basketball the "butch" sport? One of the highlights of my very short high school basketball career was playing the girls varsity team when I was a frosh, and blocking out the high school homecoming queen, but I digress.

Am I on the precipice of being a sports dad? You know, the dad of a very good collegiate athlete? One of the guys that the camera pans to in the stands? I thought it was going to be simpler than this. This women's sports thing seems a helluva complicated deal. I'm already getting heartburn and my daughter isn't big enough to shoot on a 6 foot goal.
Put her in gymnastics, track, swimming or soccer.

For whatever reason, upper levels of softball, basketball and golf tend to favor lesbians or have a predominance of them in their sport. That's not wrong with those sports though. Your daughter won't be huge so she may wish to gravitate toward her body type sport.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

if she's 5'7" or taller, and talented, she could play college basketball. Based on my quick review of the BYU and A&M rosters (A&M is in the Sweet 16).
Old 03-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This BYU player is 6'7"

http://www.byucougars.com/Profile.jsp?ID=8771

Quote:
mother is the former BYU seven-time All-American basketball standout Tresa Spaulding, who still holds numerous school records.
How can you be a 7-time All-American in basketball?

I'm telling you, women's sports are just WEIRD. The same rules do not apply.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Asked the wife, "Did you read my post on lesbians and basketball."

<rolls eyes> "Yes."

"What did you think?"

<rolls eyes> "So you think playing basketball is going to make her into a lesbian."

"Of course not."

"None of the girls on my high school team were lesbians."

"How do you know?"

"I just know."

"How many girls in high school go around outting themselves to the student body?"

<doesn't respond, goes into ignore mode>

Apparently this is a VERY touchy subject!!!

Just as a demonstration of how this lesbian thing permeates our consciousness of women's basketball, when I posted on FB my intention to try and interest my daughter in basketball, a female FB friend said <paraphrasing> "Don't! We saw a billboard of Baylor basketball and the player looked like a man! Try dance."

She must have been talking about Griner.

I mean, is this the equivalent of a guy having to tell his buddies that he is into ribbon dancing? "HEY DON'T LAUGH, IT IS AN OLYMPIC SPORT!!"

Incidentally, we practiced throwing the ball back and forth today again. She likes ball, and I'm going to make her into a total baller. There will be boys who cry themselves to sleep after getting hooped on by her. One day. The spawn of Mike Waters are fierce.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

I look forward to the day when I can watch Waters-spawn thrown his trashing into the 2nd row. LOL!

Unfortunately, where we live many of the team sports end up being on Sundays. As that is a "No-Go" at the Zulu household, we have taken a bit of a different tact. We have put our kids in more individual sports that focus on developing athleticism so that we they can do team sports, basketball, football, etc they will pick up the sport easier and be able to have fun.

My 7 yo is now in his 4th month of Brazilian Jujitsu (Grace Barra Gym in Newton MA, near our house) and he has a blast. They roll for about 30 minutes and spend the rest of the hour on conditioning. Mostly games and such, but he is exhausted by the end of the class. The kid can thrown down the push ups and has little to no body fat. He is also pretty decent at locking up the local 9 yo punk.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

She's back!

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=6266254

Hide yo' women!!!! [I keed, I keed]