cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 01-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU's disappointing season to date

I had actually thought BYU would be better this season. From what I saw earlier in the season, I thought BYU would continue to improve and be better in the WCC.

We've reached the point that an at-large bid is rapidly fading over the horizon. It may be the tourney or go home at this point.

What did we learn? That we had a huge drop-off with the guards this year and that's hard to overcome.

I think Carlino has the potential to be a star at BYU before all is said and done. But Zylstra and Harrison have been a big step backwards from Jackson Emery. That shouldn't be surprising. Zylstra didn't have enough quality to hardly see the floor last season. Why should he be counted on to contribute huge minutes this season, without a big dropoff? And it's hard to be tough on Harrison, who is a very raw freshman whose ball skills leave a lot to be desired.

If this team is playing below its potential you have to wonder about the chemistry/cohesion/leadership as well as the coaching. Something is not right with this team. And that's a shame.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

This team is awful in places where it counts.

Perimeter defense.
Consistency of outside scoring.

Those two factors make BYU a bad team at times.

If BYU fails to make the Tourney, I will consider this season a failure. But given the lackluster guard play, I believe it is an NIT team with a failure a few games into that no name tourney.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Painful loss to St. Mary's on the home floor.

In my mind it comes down to one thing: lousy defense.

Not sure why Rose was sticking with a zone defense when they were torching us with open 3's. It's probably because he has no confidence that our guards can stay in front of their guards. The 2nd half defense, man-to-man was more effective, but only marginally so. And appeared to be more effective than it really was because St. Mary's went into slow-down mode.

We really, really miss Jackson Emery. Big-time.

Again, the only way BYU gets in the dance is to win the WCC tourney.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Painful loss to St. Mary's on the home floor.

In my mind it comes down to one thing: lousy defense.

Not sure why Rose was sticking with a zone defense when they were torching us with open 3's. It's probably because he has no confidence that our guards can stay in front of their guards. The 2nd half defense, man-to-man was more effective, but only marginally so. And appeared to be more effective than it really was because St. Mary's went into slow-down mode.

We really, really miss Jackson Emery. Big-time.

Again, the only way BYU gets in the dance is to win the WCC tourney.
This BYU team is crappy. And it starts with the lousy defense, as you stated.

BYU needs a lot more man-to-man defense, but no way, Zylstra, Cusick and others can play man defense.

I noticed when Winder plays defense our intensity and steals increase but offensive production does not for the most part. I agree, absent a WCC Tourney win, this team is toast. The Saturday game was painful to watch. It was also poorly officiated, especially that last blocking call which was actually a charge.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Another thing this team is lacking is the ability to break down the defense with the dribble.

Obviously Jimmer did a lot of that last year, when he wasn't draining 3s.

Seems like the only person who can do that is Carlino, but he is still a work in progress. I guess that is the disappointing thing about Harrison. At the 2, he can't hit 3's and he can't create off the dribble either. Hopefully he improves in the off-season. He needs it.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Another thing this team is lacking is the ability to break down the defense with the dribble.

Obviously Jimmer did a lot of that last year, when he wasn't draining 3s.

Seems like the only person who can do that is Carlino, but he is still a work in progress. I guess that is the disappointing thing about Harrison. At the 2, he can't hit 3's and he can't create off the dribble either. Hopefully he improves in the off-season. He needs it.
I disagree about Harrison not creating off the dribble. It seems both Winder and Harrison can create but choose mysteriously instead to jack up jumpers from the outside before driving. I'd advise them to focus upon defense first, driving second and jumpers last.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
Archaea

BYU played more intelligently against Gonzaga, by forcing turnovers and driving to the basket. We are still not shooting the ball well from the outside, but at least they won a game against a good opponent.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

exhausted from staying up so late...

Finally a win. Hartsock was huge.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
exhausted from staying up so late...

Finally a win. Hartsock was huge.
Same with me. I agree.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Archaea texted me last night about the BYU game. I wasn't watching. After a bit I tuned into BYU-TV and it wasn't on, so I figured the game was over. But then I was on espn.com and saw that the game wasn't over and was on ESPNU.

Anyway, who cares about that. Just saying I only watched the final minute. Saw that USF comeback, followed by Carlino's clutch drive and shot to go ahead, followed by BYU giving up (3) last possession shots, with a wide-open 3 point attempt rimming out that would have won the game for USF.

I know it's hard to judge from just one minute. But I will anyway. This team's defense is not good. Since only part of the cast has changed from last season it's easy to do the math here.

Also, when I said Carlino had a good chance of ending up a star, it didn't take any special prognostication abilities.

And my other prediction is coming true as well. That Stephen Rogers would have to become a star for this team to excel. Obviously this has not happened at all, and the team's scoring ability from the perimeter stinks.

Ah well, it is what it is.

Sidebar: am I the only one who finds it kind of embarrassing to be playing in these high school gyms?