cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Sure, Utah did recruit great the last couple of years. Unfortunately, probably not even one of those guys would have picked BYU no matter how hard we would have tried. We did try with Loveridge and Chapman. Neither had any real interest. Chapman isn't LDS. Loveridge reportedly isn't active LDS. BYU is just a tough sell to college kids who don't want the honor code or don't identify with the culture. It is what it is.

BYU did have a lull in recruiting during the Jimmer years. I think it's been corrected, but the problem is that it's always about 3 or 4 years after any recruiting class before it has an impact because of missions.

Kaufusi is a completely unexpected walkon who grew 4 inches on his mission. He wasn't recruited at all, so having him on the team isn't evidence of bad recruiting. He doesn't have a scholarship. He has some athletic ability and might become a decent contributor, but not as a freshman. Mika as you mentioned was the #3 rated center in the US coming out of HS. Great get there. Payton Dastrup who is on his mission, but would be playing now if he hadn't gone, ultimately chose BYU over Ohio State and Virginia. Both will be on the team at the same time the year after next.

Who is Davis for next year? Somebody mentioned him.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #12
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Kyle Davis -- 6-8 transfer from USU. Will be a JR I think. He is a good post player who played very well against us in the USU game last year.He averaged 10 points and 8 rebounds for USU last year. Has to sit out this year because of transfer rules.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I could see Dastrup changing his mind again before he gets back. After all, he changed his mind at the last minute to come to BYU. That one is not in the bag.

Oh well, it is what it is. Enjoy watching Haws jump shot. Winder's play. And Collinsworth skillset.

Maybe 2nd in the WCC. Maybe 3rd. Maybe the Tourney. Maybe not.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #14
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I could see Dastrup changing his mind again before he gets back. After all, he changed his mind at the last minute to come to BYU. That one is not in the bag.

Oh well, it is what it is. Enjoy watching Haws jump shot. Winder's play. And Collinsworth skillset.

Maybe I should get more worked up over it than I do, but it's just sports and I have no control over it. And I actually do enjoy watching. It just sucks that each of the three losses were winnable games. You can make an argument that each of the three losses were to teams who just have better players. I'm not sure any of them should have been as close as they were. BYU does some things well but struggles to recruit the same level of talent as the good teams from the "p5" leagues.

Last edited by BlueK; 12-11-2014 at 05:45 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Maybe I should get more worked up over it than I do, but it's just sports and I have no control over it. And I actually do enjoy watching. It just sucks that each of the three losses were winnable games. You can make an argument that each of the three losses were to teams who just have better players. I'm not sure any of them should have been as close as they were. BYU does some things well but struggles to recruit the same level of talent as the good teams from the "p5" leagues.
I understand BYU will not compete year in and year out. And the Jimmer years were our best chance to make a splash. It just seems so many other colleges get great breaks, like Utah or Bradley. I was out of country when BYU went to the Elite Eight. So, I have never seen any of BYU's elite years. Just once? Is it too much to ask?
Old 12-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I followed BYU very closely during that year that BYU almost made it to #1 in the AP poll. Then they lost to UAB I think.

Michael Smith. Chapman. Haws. Toolson. If I'm remembering the names. That was the last great team before Jimmer's senior year. But they flamed out at the end and didn't make any noise.

Jimmer was one very good player on a team with other very good players. We underestimate how good those role players were. Hartsock. Emery. Abuou. Any of these three might be the best player on BYU's team if he played this season. Heck, Davies appears to have a better NBA future than Jimmer.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #17
Archaea

Quote:
I followed BYU very closely during that year that BYU almost made it to #1 in the AP poll. Then they lost to UAB I think.

Michael Smith. Chapman. Haws. Toolson. If I'm remembering the names. That was the last great team before Jimmer's senior year. But they flamed out at the end and didn't make any noise.

Jimmer was one very good player on a team with other very good players. We underestimate how good those role players were. Hartsock. Emery. Abuou. Any of these three might be the best player on BYU's team if he played this season. Heck, Davies appears to have a better NBA future than Jimmer.
That team, to which you refer, flamed out, because our guards were not athletic enough.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #18
BlueK

Quote:

I don't know Dastrup obviously, but I've heard him interviewed. I don't believe he'll change his mind again unless something completely crazy happens like an unexpected coaching change or NCAA violations, or something to that effect. From what I've heard him say, he grew up as a big BYU fan and BYU was always the most comfortable choice for him to make. I think he was just temporarily swayed by the prospect of playing for a Big 10 team, but as soon as he made the decision he wasn't comfortable with it and quickly changed his mind back. It just wasn't announced right away, but the BYU coaches knew about it for about a week before signing day. After going on a mission I wouldn't expect he'd suddenly choose against going to a school that has the most LDS girls to date, but who knows.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #19
BlueK

Quote:

the younger brothers of Emery and Haws are thought by some to be more talented than the older ones. Maybe it's debateable with Jackson and Nick, but not really with TJ and Tyler. TJ is more athletic. Their dad was a state champion sprinter. TJ has reportedly inherited more of that than Tyler. Mika and Dastrup playing together with those guys seems like it would be a solid core of some pretty good teams in the near future.

Last edited by BlueK; 12-11-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #20
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
That team, to which you refer, flamed out, because our guards were not athletic enough.
Ladell Andersen's teams flamed out at the end of every year. He couldn't win a WAC tournament game to save his life. I'm not talking about like Rose losing to UNLV in the championship year after year. I'm talking about losing on the home floor to last seeded Air Force in the first round one year and constantly to lower seeded teams in the FIRST round. In six years he only got out of the first round of the conference tourney one time. I'm normally pretty supportive of BYU coaches. They have a lot to deal with. But Andersen drove me nuts.

Last edited by BlueK; 12-11-2014 at 06:45 PM.