cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 01-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default I don't expect a win Wednesday

Utah is a crazy team. They play with and/or beat really good teams and lose to crappy teams.

If you had to bet on which team Utah shows up with on Wednesday, based on the past 10 years of BYU vs UU games in the Huntsman Center, what do you think?

Neville has game of his life, Bryant is 6/6 from the 3 point line, they get production from guys they didn't even know they had on the bench. Utah by at least 12.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

How could you not pick Utah? We haven't won there in 13 years.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm expecting a loss for the Utes. I just don't think they can beat the Y this year in either gym.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm expecting a loss for the Utes. I just don't think they can beat the Y this year in either gym.
You obviously haven't seen us play on the road this year (UNM win nothwithstanding). We are losing to teams from Beaumont, Texas for crying out loud.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You obviously haven't seen us play on the road this year (UNM win nothwithstanding). We are losing to teams from Beaumont, Texas for crying out loud.
The Utes lost to Albany at the Huntsman Center. I think that tops (or bottoms) a loss in Beaumont.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Utes also defeated AFA. So I agree that the Utes win by 12, unless we get consistent production from Plaisted, Young and one other. If BYU limits turnovers and does well in the rebounding department, BYU has a chance, but limited.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Utes also defeated AFA. So I agree that the Utes win by 12, unless we get consistent production from Plaisted, Young and one other. If BYU limits turnovers and does well in the rebounding department, BYU has a chance, but limited.
I think it's easier to predict how we'll play. Keena and Plaisted will play well, but one may be in foul trouble. At least a couple of our shooters will be on, but it won't be any better than avg from 3 point line.

The big question is how Utah will play. So I would never say we don't have a chance or even that it's a small chance. We're a better team. I just don't know what Utah team will show, but history of this game says they'll have one of their best games of the season when we show up in Huntsman Center.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I don't expect a win either. Utah seems to play pretty well against the good teams and BYU is a good team.

Not to mention that I guarantee you, somehow, someway in the first 3-5 minutes Plaisted will be on the bench cause in that atmosphere Giacoletti will insist the players run the offense through Nevill this game and the refs will nail Plaisted early. I can see it coming from a mile away.

I expect a double digit loss.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I don't expect a win either. Utah seems to play pretty well against the good teams and BYU is a good team.

Not to mention that I guarantee you, somehow, someway in the first 3-5 minutes Plaisted will be on the bench cause in that atmosphere Giacoletti will insist the players run the offense through Nevill this game and the refs will nail Plaisted early. I can see it coming from a mile away.

I expect a double digit loss.
Are you blaming the refs already? Or are you saying that Plaisted will foul Neville?

Running the offense through Neville early will be the smart thing to do for the very reason of getting Plaisted in foul trouble. It's good strategy. But then, getting the ball to Neville is harder for the Utes because they're better at throwing it away.

I still say BYU wins and my guess is that it will be by 10-16 points.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
How could you not pick Utah? We haven't won there in 13 years.
It's completely irrelevant how long it's been. KVH and Justin Weidauer aren't playing in this game.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote