cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I've got multiple connections in the media. You do the math.
I can say that I have multiple connections as well. It doesn't make it so.

I'm not saying that Majerus didn't do rotton things - I'm just pointing out the fact that Majerus wouldn't kiss the local media's ass and Monson made it his goal in life to get rid of Majerus because Monsin is a grudge-holding, weasely, little piss-ant who thinks he should be treated as someone who matters.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:09 PM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

After Majerus and the UofU attacked the SL Trib over the Lance Allred story, the SL Trib decided they had finally had enough. They called a meeting where they decided they were going to blow the lid off of everything they knew about the stuff that had gone on at the U with Majerus and they were going to dig to see if they could find even more dirt on him.

Majerus caught wind of this and literally fled in the middle of the night to keep the SL Trib from carrying through.

I'm guessing that the due diligence USC did (or a letter was slipped under their door) a couple of years ago when they were in the middle of hiring Majerus is why that ended up falling through; because they found out about some of this.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

"Rotten things"?

It depends upon the perspective. Did he say things which aren't proper in our society, LDS that is? Yes. Did he have an ego? Yes, did he go overboard? Yes.

Were the things he did horrible and reasons to hold a grudge on him? Not in my opinion. He was an excellent basketball coach, but some of his grittiness wasn't going to cut it in SLC forever. As a basketball fan, I loved his teams. As a Coug fan, I'm relieved he's gone, because we've had nobody capable of matching him in close games. He knows his stuff better than I will ever know basketball, and IMHO, although crude, he was NOT malicious, though he didn't cater to authority very well.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:16 PM   #24
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I can say that I have multiple connections as well. It doesn't make it so.

I'm not saying that Majerus didn't do rotton things - I'm just pointing out the fact that Majerus wouldn't kiss the local media's ass and Monson made it his goal in life to get rid of Majerus because Monsin is a grudge-holding, weasely, little piss-ant who thinks he should be treated as someone who matters.
As I read the tea leaves there was a lot more at play than just the media.

I think Utah's admin turned on Rick because he was no longer dominating. I think Rick went through some changes but my opinion is once Utah had become a top tier MWC program and not the dominating big dawg, which they basically were 200-2004, Hill felt that Rick was not worth the baggage. I would even to go so far as to implicate Hill as being partially involved in whatsoever expose was about to surface as a method of making Rick the bad guy. When Rick was dominating Utah and Hill would defend him to no end, but once Hill decided he could have a similar type of run with a coach that was not so much a prick he made his move.

In fact I can sense from the posts on Utefans that Hill even went as far to try to blame Rick for the morass the program finds itself. Commie Crim has long been a good lackey for the good Doctor and until about halfway through this season's abortion that is being delivered live in SLC he was blaming Rick for the issues more than Giac. Hill is very skilled at turning on his coaches and isolating them when he needs to. The crap about Archibald being fired due to a lack of academic progress was BS as the good doctor would not give Lynn the academic resources he would provide others...He wanted Lynn gone and he made the right choice, but to cloud it all in some higher morality of academic progress was bovine excrement. Another spectacular example is the bullshit forwarded by SeattleUte that Kyle Whittingham was hired because of the enormous importance of the Fiesta Bowl. It goes that Chris Hill could have found a more prepared HC candidate but chose Kyle because the U needed some semblance of continuity or else the biggest game in school history could be jeapordized. Knowing full well that the result might be 4-5 years of mediocrity after the Fiesta Bowl season. This was a subtle way of Chris Hill innoculating himself from any blame for the fact that Kyle does not yet appear to be the HC the Utes, and myself as well as many others, believed he would be.

The point is this..Majerus did rotten things but Utah fans and Chris Hill were fully willing to defend him and live with his warts if he produced late 1990's like success. When the opinion was the U could accomplish the 2000-2004 like success without Rick's warts suddenly the U became higher principle based central.

I am thinking some of those warts might not be so odious anymore.

Chris Hill's next isolation is along the lines that Giac has suddenly changed. He is just somehow not the same guy he was at EWU. The stress, the long shadows cast by the Wasatch Mountains or the jello salad have all combined to steal his brain and render him a different human being than the one the brilliant evaluator of coaching expertise, yea even the good doctor himself, hired.

The good doctor never makes mistakes......

While I don't like how the good doctor, in my opinion, does business. I must admit that Majerus' warts did not offend me as much as many. I loved him as a coach, vulgarity and disgusting behavior understood, and I love him as an analyst. I respect the good doctor but recognize he is not what I am convinced is a fellow of the highest form of ethics. Majerus had his warts, but he was a blue collar in your face honest type of fellow. Dr Hill strikes me as the sly and coy mormon type of white shirt to church and no facial hair but inwardly is a kniving twit.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #25
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The best thing the SL Trib ever did was help bring about his middle-of-the-night departure to Santa Barbara to avoid the full frontal assault expose they were about to do on him.
I think it is cute you are trying to say you are glad he is gone, because he was hurting the players who played for him. You hate him because he won games at Utah, and because he owned BYU. If he did the things he did and lost games, you would have wanted to see him at Utah for another 20 years.

There is a reason your types only look at the bad of Majerus and never at any of the good. You look at the Lance Allreds, but never look at the Andre Millers.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:24 PM   #26
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I think it is cute you are trying to say you are glad he is gone, because he was hurting the players who played for him. You hate him because he won games at Utah, and because he owned BYU. If he did the things he did and lost games, you would have wanted to see him at Utah for another 20 years.

There is a reason your types only look at the bad of Majerus and never at any of the good. You look at the Lance Allreds, but never look at the Andre Millers.
I agree..I always figured that Reid's winning percentage against Rick might explain moreso the Ute fan hatred of him than Utenation's genuine devotion to "class."
Old 01-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #27
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Chris Hill's next isolation is along the lines that Giac has suddenly changed. He is just somehow not the same guy he was at EWU. The stress, the long shadows cast by the Wasatch Mountains or the jello salad have all combined to steal his brain and render him a different human being than the one the brilliant evaluator of coaching expertise, yea even the good doctor himself, hired.

The good doctor never makes mistakes......

While I don't like how the good doctor, in my opinion, does business. I must admit that Majerus' warts did not offend me as much as many. I loved him as a coach, vulgarity and disgusting behavior understood, and I love him as an analyst. I respect the good doctor but recognize he is not what I am convinced is a fellow of the highest form of ethics. Majerus had his warts, but he was a blue collar in your face honest type of fellow. Dr Hill strikes me as the sly and coy mormon type of white shirt to church and no facial hair but inwardly is a kniving twit.
Dr. Hill came off looking better than he should have in the contest against Coach Majerus. They both share fault. The departure had to do with the negative press for some of Rick's foibles coupled with two tremendous egos. Dr. Hill didn't enjoy what Coach was allowed to do, and that was part of Coach's undoing. Dr. Hill has an ego as well, so when the opportunity to push one ego out the door, he was all too willing.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:57 PM   #28
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I agree..I always figured that Reid's winning percentage against Rick might explain moreso the Ute fan hatred of him than Utenation's genuine devotion to "class."
The only real class any fans call for is winning. Now if you can win pretty and nice, that's better.

BYU fans, some of the more orthodox, Packer-Benson conservatives, also expect to win like boyscouts.

But "class", whatever that is, is something your team has, but your rival never has.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:05 PM   #29
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I know Norm Parrish, long time head coach at SLCC very well.

I mentored under him for 2 years helping to scout opponents and do a variety of responsibilities. Much of which included me being the errand boy going up to the U on many occasions and getting tape, material and variety of other things from the U coaching staff. SLCC does this on occasion with the other D-I programs in the state like Utah State, BYU, Weber.

The stuff that I learned about Majerus, and the rare few times during coaching seminars and other private tape meetings with him....wow....I will say this, Utah got off easy when it came to their NCAA sanctions. Yewt fans will simply look at it as a "Milk and Cookies" type over-reaction from the NCAA in taking away a couple of scholarships and limiting recruiting visits for a short time. I repeat...they got off easy. The stuff he did and got away with was the stuff never shown in the NCAA report and investigation. I repeat....the U got off easy and some of the violations detailed in the report in truth were mild. The ones they never investigated that Majerus thumbed his nose at and never got caught were egregious to say the least.

Dr. Hill deserved better than how Rick was to him the last 2 years he was there. Dr. Hill is a reputable and honest man and some of the things Rick said to him and how he even treated him were beyond despicable.

The truth is Majerus while a GREAT and BRILLIANT teacher, but that is where I end in having anything remotely nice to say about the guy. The older he has got, the more friends he has lost, simply because the way he treats people. He truly has a God Complex. He expects carte blanche in how he's treated, but rarely shows the same in return. Now I admit my interactions with him weren't all inclusive, but I saw enough and heard enough with my own eyes and ears to come to my judgements about the man.

Now I know me being a Y fan, is going to automatically disqualify me from having any Yewt "fan" believe what I wrote. I'm sure they'll start pointing out what a wonderful humanitarian Rick was in helping out kids like Andre, KVH, Afeaki,,,,etc,,etc,,,, and will that I'm just being biased and that's fine for you to think that way.

To be fair: I will say that former Weber State coach Ron Abegglen was no saint either. When it came to dirty pool recruiting wise he was almost as bad as Majerus was.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 01-29-2007 at 07:11 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:05 PM   #30
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Dr. Hill came off looking better than he should have in the contest against Coach Majerus. They both share fault. The departure had to do with the negative press for some of Rick's foibles coupled with two tremendous egos. Dr. Hill didn't enjoy what Coach was allowed to do, and that was part of Coach's undoing. Dr. Hill has an ego as well, so when the opportunity to push one ego out the door, he was all too willing.
The good doctor, who is about as much a doctor as you are, is in charge of a ship where the standard bearer program is on the precipice of its worst two year run in history. This type of consistent futility is unprecedented in the annals of Ute hoops history. Perhaps I am too much of a W/L typa guy, but I don't think anyone in the Utah AD comes out ahead of Senor Buttcrack Cleavage the the triangle and 2 defense.

We know that Majerus is a meanie and weird. We all knew that years ago. I never felt the BYU heads' stories of his poor behavior were made up. No light shed on Majerus. However, we know that Chris Hill made a poor assesment of the situation and floundered getting the blame placed on the right soul. It was Majerus undermining the program..now it is that Giac had a lobotomy. Personally, I still think Majerus can coach, but I am not nearly convinced that BCS school presidents will come courting the good doctor anymore.

Objectively, there is no way anyone can conclude the good doctor is better at his trade than the round mound of basketball knowledge found.