cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 10:07 PM   #31
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Well both, including that time before Majerus when many of us were alive and the Utes had great success in basketball. Of and the Utes will have no problem retaining a coach in hoops, this is not football we are talking about.
And no problem finding a good coach either. Ask Wyoming and UNM how hard it is.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #32
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
And no problem finding a good coach either. Ask Wyoming and UNM how hard it is.
Finding a good coach will be very hard. I also think that UNLV is a much better analogy if you want to compare Utah to another MWC school.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:11 PM   #33
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I was surprised Hill chose Giac, whom I believe should stay there until he retires from coaching.

However, Majerus showed he would be successful. How successful was uncertain but he showed his stuff at Ball State for crying out loud.

Giac has been mediocre wherever he went. His Sweet Sixteen appearance shows he's not incompetent, as I can't remember BYU's last Sweet Sixteen, it's too faint. Did Reid have one or not? Or was Arnold the last coach to produce a Sweet Sixteen?

Pimm had some, Majerus had several and even Giac had one. What a condemnation of our program.

How will BYU replace Young? He's a great player and Otero looks more like a defensive stopper.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #34
jay santos

Quote:
Finding a good coach will be very hard. I also think that UNLV is a much better analogy if you want to compare Utah to another MWC school.
Everyone knew Vegas would blow up as soon as they got a decent coach. Which would you prefer if you were a coach...or a recruit?

Utah = Wyoming, UNM, Boise State, Nevada, UTEP
Old 02-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #35
jay santos

Maybe you could find recruits that read The Sporting News.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #36
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Everyone knew Vegas would blow up as soon as they got a decent coach. Which would you prefer if you were a coach...or a recruit?

Utah = Wyoming, UNM, Boise State, Nevada, UTEP
You are out of your mind putting Utah in the same category as Boise St, absolutely out of your mind. Pull Wyoming, UNM, and Nevada's tournament records and conference championships and get back to me.

Has Boise St ever even gone to the NCAA Tournament. Basically Utah is exactly like UNLV, once we get a coach we will be great again. It is just a matter of getting that coach.

This argument has gotten ridiculous though, because you are throwing Boise St into the mix. Wow.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:28 PM   #37
jay santos

Quote:
You are out of your mind putting Utah in the same category as Boise St, absolutely out of your mind. Pull Wyoming, UNM, and Nevada's tournament records and conference championships and get back to me.

Has Boise St ever even gone to the NCAA Tournament. Basically Utah is exactly like UNLV, once we get a coach we will be great again. It is just a matter of getting that coach.

This argument has gotten ridiculous though, because you are throwing Boise St into the mix. Wow.
Ask yourself where would Boise State be if they had Majerus for 15 or how many years followed by a few of Giac.

The commonality with these schools is that you don't have a recruiting base, you don't have a fan base, you don't have national recognition, but you all have a chance to be good with a good coaching hire who can recruit out of California.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #38
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Neither Wyoming nor New Mexico have ever been as successful as Utah in hoops.
Wasn't UNM slightly more successful in Basketball just last year than Utah was? I seem to remember the two teams playing in the postseason.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:31 PM   #39
jay santos

I'm just trying to serve my beloved Ute brethren by easing your expectations a little. I'm afraid you guys are going to be suicidal if a new coach doesn't have you back at that #11 level you've been the last 100 years.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #40
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Utah- UNM seems a decent comparison, since UNM is hoops crazy. The others seem untenable. BYU also fits in about that same mold. IMO the Utes overachieved under Majerus. The Utes need to, and probably get rid of the Giac and New Mexico needs to be rid of Ritchie McKay.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote