cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Goat come talk BB here

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2464430

I agree this team is playing great. We've had four pretty good teams this decade:

2000: Wesley, Lyday, Whiting
2003: Hansen, Haffa, Bigs
2004: Haffa, Bigs, Hall

Of those I'd put the 2004 team as the best with this team playing equal to that level right now.

All three of those teams could have won an NCAA game, and it's very frustrating that none did--going up against three really good teams: Cincy, UCONN, and Syracuse.

Any of those teams--especially the 2003, 2004 teams had what it takes to make a Sweet 16 run.

With the RPI situation, I believe this team is a lock to make the NCAA. And I believe with the way they are playing, we have at least a 50-50 chance to win a 1st round game and if luck finally goes our way finally deeper.

This team is playing very well. The difference between the first 10 games and the last 10 games is significant.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

someone tell me what it feels like to win a tourney game.

and no I am not interested in Utes memories.

MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

Any of those teams--especially the 2003, 2004 teams had what it takes to make a Sweet 16 run.
While those teams were good teams, I don't see any of them with the potential to make a Sweet 16 run. Unless you have an incredible talent elsewhere on the team, and none of those BYU teams had it, the NCAA tournament is all about guard play. None of those teams had the guard play to get to the Sweet 16.

From watching the Utes over the years, I have learned there is a huge difference between a good team, and a Sweet 16 team.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
While those teams were good teams, I don't see any of them with the potential to make a Sweet 16 run. Unless you have an incredible talent elsewhere on the team, and none of those BYU teams had it, the NCAA tournament is all about guard play. None of those teams had the guard play to get to the Sweet 16.

From watching the Utes over the years, I have learned there is a huge difference between a good team, and a Sweet 16 team.
Thanks, but you don't pay enough attention to BYU to know how good we are.

The Whiting-Lyday team had as good as guard play as you will ever see in the MWC. That team wasn't physical enough.

The Hansen/Bigs/Haffa and Haffa/Bigs/Hall teams were very good. They ran up against buzz-saw Big East teams. Both teams were severely under-seeded at #12 and both teams played Big East teams under-seeded at #5. It was more like a 3/4 seed playing a 6/7 seed in the second round. Both games were close and could have gone either way.

In the tourney anything can and does happen. It's ignorant to say a 20something power rated team doesn't have what it takes to make a Sweet 16 run when teams of much less caliber do all the time.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
mpfunk

Quote:
Thanks, but you don't pay enough attention to BYU to know how good we are.

The Whiting-Lyday team had as good as guard play as you will ever see in the MWC. That team wasn't physical enough.

The Hansen/Bigs/Haffa and Haffa/Bigs/Hall teams were very good. They ran up against buzz-saw Big East teams. Both teams were severely under-seeded at #12 and both teams played Big East teams under-seeded at #5. It was more like a 3/4 seed playing a 6/7 seed in the second round. Both games were close and could have gone either way.

In the tourney anything can and does happen. It's ignorant to say a 20something power rated team doesn't have what it takes to make a Sweet 16 run when teams of much less caliber do all the time.
Let's see I will take Andre Miller/and anyone who want to throw in off the street over a combo of Whiting-Lyday as the best guard play that you will ever see in the MWC.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:

I liked the 2004 team best. We got a crappy seed and then GMac had the game of his career against us. If Bigelow could have done something we could have made a run. Oh, the what ifs. But still probably one of the best games I have watched. We took them out of Boeheim's vaunted 2-3 zone. I think we could have taken Maryland in the next round and made it to the sweet 16.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
jay santos

Quote:
Let's see I will take Andre Miller/and anyone who want to throw in off the street over a combo of Whiting-Lyday as the best guard play that you will ever see in the MWC.
Ladida, whoopdee freaking doo. Take your Andre Miller and stick it up your ear. Notice the term "about". Really. I don't come to a BYU board to listen to frustrated, nostalgic Ute fans bitch about their comparative history. Go do it somewhere else. I'm talking about BYU.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
mpfunk

Quote:
Ladida, whoopdee freaking doo. Take your Andre Miller and stick it up your ear. Notice the term "about". Really. I don't come to a BYU board to listen to frustrated, nostalgic Ute fans bitch about their comparative history. Go do it somewhere else. I'm talking about BYU.
I was talking BYU too. My original post was that you simply did not have a team that was a Sweet 16 caliber team. I will forgive you for not recognizing what it takes to win in the tournament, seeing as how it has been around 15 years since you won a game. I will further forgive you for not knowing what it takes to get to the Sweet 16, seeing as how your team hasn't been there in over 20 years.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
mpfunk

Quote:
Oh and by the way I don't see an about in that sentence. "As good as guard play as you will ever see in the MWC," looks like you left out the about.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #10
jay santos

Quote:
I was talking BYU too. My original post was that you simply did not have a team that was a Sweet 16 caliber team. I will forgive you for not recognizing what it takes to win in the tournament, seeing as how it has been around 15 years since you won a game. I will further forgive you for not knowing what it takes to get to the Sweet 16, seeing as how your team hasn't been there in over 20 years.
Rivalry smack is cute and fun. But that was last week, when we actually played. Time to move on or you look like a twerp. We'll ask you a question when we're interested in rehashing 1990's Ute basketball.

Any top 50 team has the potential to make a Sweet 16 run. Half of it is randomness in the seeds, the draw, and how well you're shooting.

Guard play and senior leadership are important in the tourney. Our guard play isn't stellar but we have inside scoring, we're money from the three line, and we have senior leadership. This team has what it takes to make a Sweet 16 run. I don't expect it, but out of the following teams: BYU, West Virginia, Stanford, Florida State, Tennessee, Ok St, Maryland, USC, Georgetown, Creighton, I'll bet a couple will make a Sweet 16 run, and BYU has equal chance to as any of those to be the one that does it.